Need help! No conversions yet!
    Hello All,

I've had my site up and running for a couple/three weeks now. I know it takes time - but I'd like at least ONE sale! I was approved and put an Article in Ezine, Article Alley, Easy Articles, and Go Articles. I have signed up for traffichoopla.com but not sure I understand the concept there yet. I was going to post to Craigs list and then I was thinking about sending out to the Free Herculist safe list. Are email blasts effective?

Is it possible to get sales from free advertising or do you have to do PPC to get sales?

I'm a newbie and thanks for any help. I know there is no quick fix and I'm not looking to make thousands. I'd just like to make about $10-$15 a day and from what I'm reading that is very possible.

Thanks for much for your help!
    Kendra

ABW Ambassador
    It can take a year or more before you are making sales if you are not paying for traffic. Some earn sooner, some never earn anything, but for most, it takes time and effort

You cannot expect anything after 2 weeks if you are not paying for traffic

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    You cannot expect anything after 2 weeks if you are not paying for traffic
    And might I add that expecting tons of quick sales from articles is so 7 years ago, traffic exchanges & safelists are a waste of time , and spamming cragslist - well that's for spammers.

Spend your time learning SEO and don't promote scammy type/mlm/get rich things. Not saying you are but the techniques you mentioned wreak of that.

Search engines need to find your site and index it and include it in search results before people surfing the internet can find it. Most of you traffic will probably come from Google. Google doesn't even know that you site exists yet. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

You also should read the Magic Bullet thread. http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79507

You can add your url to be indexed here. http://www.google.com/addurl/

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks!
    I did submit my site to google; but I was told to do a sitemap like the URL you gave me BurgerBoy. I will do that and see what happens. I will also read more on SEO.

I have seen posts that said articles and press releases were working for them. As far as email to safelists I have been hestitant to use it because I wasn't sure it was spam. I thought as long as it was a "safelist" it wasn't spamming. That is why I was asking your opinion on sending an email.

I know there is a LOT of work to be done and I'm willing to do it. It would just help if I could see at least one sale from my efforts in the next month just to help show me it DOES work. I'm very motivated as I want to get out of debt and stay home with my kids and just have a flexible schedule. That keeps me pushing forward and continue researching and changing things on my website.

Thanks for your input.
    Kendra

A safelist isn't spam. A safelist is a list where everyone signs up to promote their business and no one reads the messages- hence a waste of time.

If you'd like to see a quick sale then spend the next 5 days learn PPC; setup a campaign, and hope you don't end up spending more than you are making.

Otherwise be patient and you didn't mention if you were selling snake oil or useful items that people need to buy like clothes, furniture, etc. I'm not trying to get all in your business but it does make a difference in terms of how fast you are likely to see sales in my opinion.

If you are selling "get rich quick, lose weight, and date a millionaire" then I'm with Julian...wait a year and then hopefully you will have made a sale.

PWA, you can check her site out by clicking on her ABW username...

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    PWA, you can check her site out by clicking on her ABW username...
    I knew that!

Ummm no I didn't.

In that case forget what I said about snake oil because it doesn't apply to you.

Work on SEO and it won't take a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I knew that!

Ummm no I didn't.

In that case forget what I said about snake oil because it doesn't apply to you.

Work on SEO and it won't take a year.
    Not to worry. I learned it from a newbie, and now I click on everyone's username...

X

Appreciate the input
    PWA,

I will do some research on the PPC and SEO, and implement it and see what happens. I don't have a very big budget so that is why I was looking for "FREE" ways to get the word out.

Thank you for answering my question on the "safelists". That is exactly what I wanted to know.

I sell birthday party supplies.

Thanks again,
    Kendra
    Last edited by kreasor; July 25th, 2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Take out link

Sorry about that, how do I edit the post?
    Can you tell me how to edit the post and I will do it right away.

Thanks!
    Kendra

In the thread listing you should see an Edit button next to the Quote button. Has to be within 30 minutes of posting...

X

Never mind, right in front of me.
    I'm going to go do something else now before I kicked off.

Thanks for all your help.

Kendra

Quote Originally Posted by kreasor
    I'm going to go do something else now before I kicked off.

Thanks for all your help.

Kendra
    Don't worry. I'm certain your intentions are good...

X

I suggest you could start to see progress in getting indexed if you spend some time learning about what Google likes and doesn't like. Spend some time in your GWT account and follow their help links. The mouseover javascript to change the link appearance is cute but unnecessary and it is something that detracts from your site score. Flash and javascript are great tools, but G doesn't like 'em. Try to use more css, put a real title (instead of "home") on your site's main page. The title tag is very important to G and it needs to be descriptive. Get your code and doctype/content type to all agree. It isn't UTF-8 unless it's coded in UTF-8 and has a doctype declaration that says so. That makes the browsers do all the work and slows your site down. You're using /> which is only for xhtml and can keep the bots from parsing your page. Spend a little time with http://www.w3schools.com and learn (free) about all the parts that go into building a good site.

Spend time tweaking your pages and the traffic will come, but it is not realistic to expect to earn enough to "get out of debt and stay home with the kids" in the first 6 months to a year of putting pages online without a large ad budget. The competition makes it an uphill crawl to your first commission. Google what you're trying to sell and check out the competition's sites and techniques. Don't copy, make yours better.

And good luck!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread