Most Popular Thumbnail and Image Sizes
    Hey all,

It's been brought up many times, but always as a snippet within a thread on some larger issue, so I thought a dedicated thread might be a good idea. I'm interested in hearing opinions on optimum sizes for thumbnails and images included in product datafeeds, especially from those who incorporate multiple feeds side by side within individual sites.

Is there a standard you wish everyone would stick to to make life easier for cramming all those products together? What is it?

Off the top of my head I'd say 125 x 125 thumbnail images and 450 x 450 full size images sounds about right, but maybe 100 x 100 would be more universally accepted. Then again, Google is pushing 90 x 90 in their shopping results.

I'd do a poll, but it's really two polls, one for thumbnails and one for full sized images.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by akenming
    hi,you can buy shoes any time from this site www[.]jklasdfjldsu[.]com
    Be gone spammer!

X

Quote Originally Posted by akenming
    hi,you can buy shoes any time from this site www com
    Do the shoes come with opinions on thumbnail sizes?
    Eathan Mertz

I'm fine with any size as long as its at least 90x90 for thumbnails, but not too large as they'll require more bandwidth. As for the larger images those can be any size up to around 1024x768. The more detail we can give to our customers the better.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I actually wish the the thumbnail images were around 150px the 90 or 100 look too small so I end up using the larger images and displaying them smaller which means longer page load times.

We use 96x96 thumbnails and up to three 315x* images on our product pages. Width is set at 315 but we adjust the height to best fit the image.

X

No Longer Banned!
    Ethan

height is not an issue for me so much. I just need to stay at 175px. Anything smaller is too small to read esp. w/ lots of crap in it and any thing larger is not going to fit in my current format.

Though I don't do gold, the images seem to hit a sweet spoty @ 175.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

My homepage has series of thumbnails of 110 px by 110 px.

I like square thumbnails just small enough to see a wee bit but not big enough to see all.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    Though I don't do gold, the images seem to hit a sweet spoty @ 175.
    We've been slowly adding lapidary and metal detecting equipment and supplies, and should be doing coin collecting soon too. You never know, we might eventually hit a product area you like...

My question wasn't for Black Cat though. I'm trying to think more along the lines of universal sizes that could work for most any product line and any affiliate site. From this thread, and a lot of looking around, it seems like there should really be three image sizes available in a product feed; small thumb, normal thumb and larger image. I like the idea of offering a little flexibility.
    Eathan Mertz

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think it depends on your website and the layout.

We toyed with a few formats before we nailed it down.

For our website, we did 90*90 so that we were able to squeeze in more items and to fit in with the site design. We could have done with 100*100 but it would mean we have to cut edges somewhere or have less items across.
    I think 90*90 up to 125*125 should be fine.

It all depends on your web design. Make the thumbnail work with your site, not vice versa.

All the best!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Sorry.. forgot to mention that our regular image size is 400*400. Again, we designed our site and came up with the best size.

Size Matters ...
    We have been doing real well with 180x150 banners.

And 125x125 get decent click rates. But the copy makes or breaks a banner.

One of the world's HIGHEST paid copy writers is adament, that you can dramatically improve response with this copy string.

If You (want to solve a problem, get a gift, whatever), The Do This (insert action to be taken).

In real terms: Like this: "If You Want To Learn About Affiliate Marketing, Then Click Here And Discover ABestWeb."

Back in 2005 I had a very similar question, and you may read the full thread on it here. The following sizes were mentioned for thumbnails:

100x100
    120x120
    140x140
    150x150

We ended up going with 150x150 px thumbnails and 500x500 px main images. Affiliates seemed to be happy.

Hope this helps.

Geno

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    We've been slowly adding lapidary and metal detecting equipment and supplies, and should be doing coin collecting soon too. You never know, we might eventually hit a product area you like...

My question wasn't for Black Cat though. I'm trying to think more along the lines of universal sizes that could work for most any product line and any affiliate site. From this thread, and a lot of looking around, it seems like there should really be three image sizes available in a product feed; small thumb, normal thumb and larger image. I like the idea of offering a little flexibility.
    Eathan.

I dig Rock and Gem. 42?

Got a few q's on it. Not thread material though. Open 2 a PM or 2 ?

~ ! 175 is my max border width. So for me it is the best mix between readability and having it pushed off the page. 28% of my total page width is the graphics based ad bars.

Since Donuts taught me that real estate is at such a premium, this has been the best solution.

As we adjust our newest rebuild and tweak the latest layout, the 175 still seems the best solution.

Do you see a practical means for us to put the ads on a seperate landing page and perhaps, use a custom lead [leeeeeed] graphic ?

Colours are an important part of our programme.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Big Banner Question For Everyone ...
    Do You Just Think The Banners You Create Or Are Created For You Are Cool And Just Throw Them Up Or Do You Split Test Response To Your Banners To Discover Which Ones ACTUALLY Get The Better CTR?

Then Only After You Find The Hot CTR Banners Do You Post Them For Affiliates.

Or Do You Consistently Waste Your Affiliates Time, Effort And Money, Providing Them With Dreck Banners.

BTW: Most of the banners posted by merchants on SAS are just plain dreck.
    They simply do not tell people WHY they should click on it.

In marketing never assume anything ... it wastes money and time.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread