Maybe Good News
    I just talked to my assemblyman who was pretty helpful and also interested in what's going on. He mentioned that he should be going to Albany on Thursday and is going to talk to the ways and means to see about possibly sponsoring the bill in the assembly.

I gave him pretty much all of the cons of the bill and what it is doing to the affiliates along with several other cons. He mentioned that this was pretty much a bargaining trying to close the budget gap and to get the 2008 - 2009 budget passed. I like to think I can read a person and I got a good feeling from talking to him. I'm not saying he will end up sponsoring the bill but he is going to look into it to see if he can find a way to do so.

I asked him if there were any members of the assembly that would be in town on Monday to attend the meeting and he said the best bet would be to contact Assembly member Ron Canestrari which I did.

I talked to the person in his office that handles his calls and other business and passes it on to Ron. Right now he is out of town and he wasn't sure if he would be around on Monday or not and the late notice would make it unlikely he would be able to attend. The person I spoke with, Kevin asked me if it was possible if his schedule permitted that he may be able to attend the meeting to hear our concerns and relate the information back to Assemblyman Canestrari.

I told him I would have no problem with that but I wanted to check here first to make sure it would be OK and if it is and he could make it what would be a good time for him to come? So Kevin or Mellie, any thoughts whether it's Ok for Kevin to attend part of the meeting and what would be the best time for him to show up, that is even if he can.

One good thing about having a person from assemblyman Ron Canestrari office there is that he is the assembly majority leader. If we can win his support it would go a long way

He is welcome at ANY time during the day. I'll be there from 9 to 4:30.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Good job, Packy!!!

Rhea, it will be nice if one of the two work out. Especially if we can get the majority leader on our side

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Let's see:

- Lost income tax from NY affiliates
    - No sales tax from merchants who avoid a NY nexus by booting NY affiliates
    - Defending a lawsuit by two powerhouse online merchants

I guess this law isn't quite working out the way they'd hoped.

Wonderful! Definitely anytime he wants to be there is fine. Thank you for your help in this. The meeting is such that we can pretty much adjust to special guests with ease.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Wonderful! Definitely anytime he wants to be there is fine. Thank you for your help in this. The meeting is such that we can pretty much adjust to special guests with ease.
    I kind of was thinking that Mellie but didn't want to overstep on any toes

Rhea, those are exactly 3 of several points I tried to make. I actually asked if they knew how much this lawsuit most likely will cost NYS in the long run not to mention all the money it is costing merchants and affiliates also trying to seek legal counsel along with the lost earnings that affiliates are dealing with.

I know Stirpe is totally for the internet growing and to be more or less left alone with as little governing as possible. I also brought up how all the states will be watching what happens in the NY - Amazon case and if NY wins most likely the internet will no longer be tax free. Something he really doesn't want to see happen because he seems to be aware of how much growth is still left with the internet.

One of the people I spoke with actually went through what sounded like hell dealing with another state trying to collect taxes on his business from NY so he pretty much gets what it is all about. I also brought up what will be the cost of trying to collect taxes from companies from other states and also having to prove it. That so called $50,000,000 seems to be getting smaller and smaller IMO.

Just a follow up!

Kevin from Assembly member Ron Canestrari office never did make it to the meeting. I tried calling him from Albany and he was out of the office for the day on Monday. He did send me an email yesterday stating that he has had the bug or something for several days and apologized for not attending. He also asked me to send him any information that I think would be helpful which I will.
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

Over the next few days I will pull together summaries that might be helpful. Thanks for continuing to work on this aspect Packy.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread