Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Why is it every time I log into Google adsense or most of my indy programs I smile, yet when I log into CJ or the other major networks my blood pressure goes up.
    Ever since adsense came along, I suddenly realized what a sucker I was being played as: For example on one of my content sites I featured one advertiser who converted at 3 in a thousand click thoroughs, yet now this same advertiser is featured in google adsense and is giving me $x.xx per click. And I believe it is the first x.

Anybody else seeing this?

Adsense has simply raised my blood pressure, because I made more with adsense this month than I did with CJ.

Talk about HOT!

Ohh well the more pages the more opportunities to place adsense. Also my CPC, CPM, CPA programs pay no were near what adsense is putting out.

YES they got a nasty call, if they don't get it right I will drop there sorry butts and get someone that pays!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anybody else seeing this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Leader, SandraR so what do you think are we being robbed or is it just an consumer choice hence they will get a rebate some where?

ABW Ambassador
    The question is how long adsense will remain? I did well on the EPC platforms...until too many affiliates realized that you could click on links and get paid.

Google has to police this thing. I won't put too many eggs in the Google basket.

Of course CJ and BeFree fell down on the job and refused to make the effort needed to protect the EPC merchant. People ran epc in popups, redirects and other fraudulent behavior. (Face it, affiliates can be worse than the merchants when given the chance.)

The fact that the affiliate networks did not protect their EPC merchants in light of the popups, and have not protected the affiliates in the onslaught of parasites show what a low grade of businessmen run these shows.

I don't put all my eggs in one basket, but google is the only one that pays. Why the low response to this thread? Surely not everybody here is a spammer.

I don't think it's a good idea to talk about AdSense vs. (whatever). Rather, we should just enjoy AdSense as long as it lasts.

Warning, ebook length response...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glaikit:
    Leader, SandraR so what do you think are we being robbed or is it just an consumer choice hence they will get a rebate some where?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's robbery! But after thinking about it (and letting my blood pressure come down a bit), it's not quite as cut-and-dried as it seemed. What's "robbery" today is still a great thing compared to what came before it. Before aff. marketing, people used to brag about getting $5 or $8 CPM, which is lousy and a robbery compared to aff. marketing (when a decent merchant's being promoted)! So it's all relative.

But the current state is robbery because: To get a sale commission, we have to shepherd the consumer to the shopping cart past everything from plain rotten merchant-site nav to popups begging for call-in orders. We have to hype up the visitor to buy before the cookie runs out, explain what the merchant didn't bother to, and highlight information the merchant didn't think mattered (but is essential). Not to mention the d*mned parasites that get mentioned daily, where we either have to try to "educate" the consumers to clean their machines or eat the losses as part of doing business.

After all of this, the merchant may claim the stuff didn't sell, didn't stay sold, or they may run out of stock and not be able to even do the transaction in the first place.

For this, there's an EPC of $x.xx~$xx.xx Not bad, and it beats a real j*b.

But all you have to do to make an EPC of $XX.xx (more) from AdSense is have someone CLICK the blooming link. Whether a purchase results from that click is irrelevant, as long as the merchant doesn't get so many duds that he/she quits bidding!

It tells me that merchants still place a very high value on raw traffic (ie, eyeballs), and they should have been paying accordingly all along. In that way, it's robbery!

But this also has to be factored in: I get a better CTR to my aff. programs. So there isn't a big bottom-line disparity between the programs at this point, despite the vastly different EPCs.

I think there's a convergence of factors going on: Merchants are willing to pay decently for raw traffic again (something I had only heard about them doing until AS came up--but before the Bust some people made tons just sending traffic or even simply *showing* ads). Also, AdSense offers a way to get the ads onto relevant sites--something that didn't used to be truly automatable, which further raises their value to merchants and other advertisers. GOOGLE'S bank of goodwill among webmasters from sending all that free traffic allowed them to get a big program running quickly. And a lot of affiliates (and possibly merchants) are sick of the "regular" way of doing things, for various reasons.

Also there tends to be a market shift every 2-3 years when it comes to the Internet, from what I've observed. So this one's a bit late...

All these things and more have converged to make AdSense-style advertising viable. The time is right; whether it would have worked so well before, I don't know.

But I do think this is a real market shift, similar to the ones from CPM to PPC, and PPC to pay-per-sale. Google's not the only one into this type of advertising--their terms wouldn't prohibit putting other contextual ads on a page if there weren't any other contenxtual ads to put!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I won't put too many eggs in the Google basket. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not taking down any aff links either (better to run both and have twice the cash), but as long as Google (or anybody else) is willing to pay DECENTLY for traffic I'll send it. Right now I have two projects in the works: One's a standard aff. section, and one's being made specifically with the intention of using AdSense.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why the low response to this thread? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beats me, for a while everyone was talking about AS.

Maybe they're concerned about violating the TOS. But I believe that talking about AS is fine, TOS-wise, as long as specific figures aren't posted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glaikit:
    Leader, SandraR so what do you think are we being robbed or is it just an consumer choice hence they will get a rebate some where?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Leader;

A bit less articulate, I swing with which ever way the pay is streaming in. Complain the entire way while enjoying the profits, by not being stuck in an ever-changing market!

Can you call it being robbed when we agreed to the contract when we signed up? Probably not the networks are simply excellent and unethical business people. But then that’s why they make the bucks.

I keep all relationships open to prevent myself from burning any bridges, but slow down on the promotions of networks or merchants when they starts acting incorrectly. When they’re behaving themselves again I bring them back in full force.

Excellent posts ladies! Now only if Todd would respond.
    Thanks

Adsense will be the killer program once we can figure out where the clicks are coming form and on what, if we can get some kind of id tag to put in our links, we'd have it made.
    I've used them for filler, and I have them on pages meant only for affiliate stuff, no slowdown that I've noticed on other programs.
    Nothing but good to say about adsense, but I'm sure the milk will dry up someday.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm quite pleased with AdSense, but we all know the risk of having all our eggs in one basket so I'm only very slowly converting some non-mainstream traffic over to AdSense, but it sure is tempting to just throw the whole business over to AdSense and take a big vacation.

I'm a little afraid to do that because I'm sure I would pop up on their missile launch radar screen and get them eyeballing my affiliate sites which they might not take a competitive liking to.

If AdSense gets a competitor so I can diversify a little, I'll install it right on the top of all the lousy performing pages and let those merchants pay market price for the clicks. Their free ride will be over.

Then I can focus on those few merchants that have earned my respect as long term partners in the affiliate arena, and there are a few.

adsense is for CONTENT SITES do not abuse it! As I have seen some here do!

ABW Ambassador
    Seems i need to get with this Adsense. Adsense is for anybody Google lets in. I've seen it everywhere not just content sites.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

After reading this thread, I just signed up today. The site I submitted was definately not content oriented, and I got approved right away.

We shall see how it lasts!

I've seen it everywhere not just content sites.

Yes That will be it's downfall!

Tsk, you wouldn't say that if you had Sales sites!

Christ I do not know Trust no1 or Bsnrjones but I do know that if and when they are acceped you can kiss goolge adsense goodbye!

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    The problem with adsense is we don't have an enforcible contract. Don't believe me, what percentage are you supposed to get of the click revenue?? Let's assume that during the months of November and December (the most important months for people, like me, in the gift business) to 1% of the revenue they receive. All of a sudden, clicks go up, and revenue drops like a stone. You know that you was making on average 10 cents a click (this is not a real number just an illustration) now you are getting .1 cents a click. What are you to do?

Also what if they back date it to the begining of the month, changing all your old fund from whatever it was to pennies on the dollar. What can you do? Nothing. You don't have a valid contract. You can't say, you was supposed to pay be 50% or 75% or whatever it was.

I don't expect this to happen, but this is a cautionary posting, b/c it could happen and you ahve no recourse. After all there is no contract. Without the terms being spelled you don't have a contract. I learned that in business law 101

Mike

ojmoo Bullshit!

And I will say it once again Bullshit!

I don't give a F**k what Adsense is paying me, the result is they are paying.

I have had the displeasure of seeing commissions (at another place) drop from 20c/click to .02 of a cent/click through crookery, and retroactively, so I know the scenario Ojmoo is talking about!

If a place dropped, say, a $100 payment to 10c, YOU WOULD CARE, I guarantee it!

But unlike those &@$%ers in the 1st paragraph, Google has actually sent checks for the amount my Reports said I'd get. And the figure in the Reports also remained un-messed-with. The proof in the pudding goes a long way to convince me to leave their ads up despite the wonky contract.

Plus those wanks in the first paragraph had an "ironclad contract" that stated what the fee would be, but they did something to wengle out of it (not saying what because I don't want to educate lurking crooks). But put it like this, a crook will be a crook whether there's a contract or not!

ABW Ambassador
    Adsense isn't going anywhere, will be around for a long time, so says Google. There'll be some minor tweaks here and there but this type of advertising is here to stay.

"Christ I do not know Trust no1 or Bsnrjones but I do know that if and when they are acceped you can kiss goolge adsense goodbye!"

Sorry fellow affiliates looks like you can kiss adsense goodbye

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sorry fellow affiliates looks like you can kiss adsense goodbye <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Trust, plleeeaaaassssseeeeee don't break AS! Someone on this board broke Google the other day, we're gonna get a bad rep if this keep up!

Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast