Appealing a declined application?
    One of the merchants I applied to (and REALLY wanted to be an affiliate of) declined my application.

Is it possible to like, appeal it? Maybe contact them and politely ask if there was any specific reason for being declined and maybe get another shot?

Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Thanks.

Good read on being declined -> http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=87594
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Perfect, thanks!

One day, somewhere in the world, someone will actually read a forum's FAQ before asking a question that is already answered there.

I probably won't be that person, of course.

Don't worry, just remember the search button does work

Good luck on getting approved.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

To add my two cents worth... I have a pretty established site in my niche (by now!) yet still get the periodic rejection.

I ALWAYS appeal, in a nice professional manner.. my guess is that in many cases, they don't actually take a proper look at the site. I've never been re-rejected upon appeal...

Good luck!

ABW Ambassador
    Was it an immediate decline, and if so, are you outside the U.S.?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by refined
    One day, somewhere in the world, someone will actually read a forum's FAQ before asking a question that is already answered there.
    Nah! Won't happen, but your optimism is refreshing. ; - )

As a merchant, I only DQ someone's app for obvious things like invalid email address or non accessible site, site that is not a fit, non responsiveness of an affiliate if a querry relative to the application went unanswered etc. If I rejected sites because they looked like a bowl of disorganized spaghetti I'd only have two affiliates!! lol

By all means, plead your case to the merchant. It shows that you are sincere about promoting them as opposed to those who apply for every program available through scripts and then never pursue it. I bet they will accept you if you make the effort. ;-)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

To add my two cents worth... I have a pretty established site in my niche (by now!) yet still get the periodic rejection.

I ALWAYS appeal, in a nice professional manner.. my guess is that in many cases, they don't actually take a proper look at the site. I've never been re-rejected upon appeal...

Good luck!
    Thanks. That's what I figured. I mean, one of my sites listed in my CJ account has averaged 10,000+ unique visits daily since 2001... it's as established as established can be.

Was it an immediate decline, and if so, are you outside the U.S.?
    Nope, I'm in the US and was declined 2 days later (although I applied either late Friday or early Saturday, so today is the first "business day" if that matters).

Nah! Won't happen, but your optimism is refreshing. ; - )

As a merchant, I only DQ someone's app for obvious things like invalid email address or non accessible site, site that is not a fit, non responsiveness of an affiliate if a querry relative to the application went unanswered etc. If I rejected sites because they looked like a bowl of disorganized spaghetti I'd only have two affiliates!! lol

By all means, plead your case to the merchant. It shows that you are sincere about promoting them as opposed to those who apply for every program available through scripts and then never pursue it. I bet they will accept you if you make the effort. ;-)
    Will do, thanks for giving me hope.

HA! That was quick. Just got a reply from them and I've been...

declined yet again.

They did give me a reason though. They said my sites lacked relevancy. I kind of guess they do, but relevancy really isn't relevant once you know the specifics. The main site I was looking to promote this merchant on is health/diet related. The merchant is a matchmaking site.

I mean, does this mean this merchant is only approving sites that are about matchmaking? Everything else will "lack relevancy" the same way my sites do.

Another question... how does what they lose by approving me differ from what they gain by not approving me?

Meaning, what's the worst that could have happened if they approved me? They end up being right and I perform poorly? And, at best they end up being wrong and I perform well.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

HA! That was quick. Just got a reply from them and I've been...

declined yet again.

They did give me a reason though. They said my sites lacked relevancy. I kind of guess they do, but relevancy really isn't relevant once you know the specifics. The main site I was looking to promote this merchant on is health/diet related. The merchant is a matchmaking site.

I mean, does this mean this merchant is only approving sites that are about matchmaking? Everything else will "lack relevancy" the same way my sites do.

Another question... how does what they lose by approving me differ from what they gain by not approving me?

Meaning, what's the worst that could have happened if they approved me? They end up being right and I perform poorly? And, at best they end up being wrong and I perform well.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.
    Hmm, I'm a little confused myself. What types of sites aren't a good match for matchmaking ads? Granted, there are the usual sites you don't want at all but I wouldn't have had a problem with a matchmaking ad on a health site. My thinking would be that I want the affiliate links in front of people who may want/need a matchmaking site. I'm not in the matchmaking biz but I suspect single people visit health sites too
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    Hmm, I'm a little confused myself. What types of sites aren't a good match for matchmaking ads? Granted, there are the usual sites you don't want at all but I wouldn't have had a problem with a matchmaking ad on a health site. My thinking would be that I want the affiliate links in front of people who may want/need a matchmaking site. I'm not in the matchmaking biz but I suspect single people visit health sites too
    EXACTLY! So it's not just me then. I'm thinking the biggest requirement for doing well promoting matchmaking sites is traffic, and I've got that.

Of course it would be extra nice if I had the traffic on a site called "Why online dating is awesome and everyone should do it!!" but, as long as my traffic is comprised of at least 50% humans and the site fits normal good-site standards (which it does), you'd think that would be enough.

I'm replying to them one more time. If this masterpiece of reasons to accept me doesn't do it, I'll give up.

Yes, traffic is important if it's targeted. I would think though that if you have a banner or text link for the matchmaking site, most people would know what to expect when they click. This assumes the text link or banner is pretty straight forward and not deceptive. If this is the case, then IMO, what is wrong with such a banner being on a health site? Maybe that AM shouldn't ask the question "Why (should they accept you)?", when reviewing applications, but rather ask "Why not?".

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    Yes, traffic is important if it's targeted. I would think though that if you have a banner or text link for the matchmaking site, most people would know what to expect when they click. This assumes the text link or banner is pretty straight forward and not deceptive. If this is the case, then IMO, what is wrong with such a banner being on a health site? Maybe that AM shouldn't ask the question "Why (should they accept you)?", when reviewing applications, but rather ask "Why not?".
    Maybe they are a dating service that prefers to only match healthy people Greg. That way they can assure prospective members that their matches are guaranteed sound and without disease? Kind of like a horse auction I guess.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Just an update... I've been accepted!

Thanks for the help, guys.

Just an update... I've been accepted!

Thanks for the help, guys.
    Awesome, congrats. Now keep training that affiliate manager and pass the love on

The moral here? PERSISTENCE PAYS! WTG buddy

In my view, if anyone's application is rejected or declined then one has to politely ask why, what was the reason my application got rejected. This helps to correct the mistake and not repeat the same again. I really like this way of correcting this mistake.

hey..even my application has been rejected and I am also planning to follow the tips mentioned above...thanks for the tips.....

One tip on how not to reply to a declined application:

We got an email yesterday from an affiliate who was declined. We were CC'd along with about 50 other merchants so they were sending out bulk "please reconsider me" emails.

yooo hooo.....my application has been accepted....thanks a ton for the tips

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I edit the auto reply email templates to give affiliates the ability to appeal and take it very seriously. I would say that almost 99% get accepted once the conversation gets going.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread