View Poll Results: Merchants Making Purchases - Gassing Us Up

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 12.50%
  • No

4 25.00%
  • Just you, and one of your "conspiracy theories" again, Big Chuck.

10 62.50%
  • I am an affiliate manager who does that all the time (he-he)

0 0%
    ABW Ambassador
    Do advertisers (affiliate managers?) who see potential from affiliates to bring them decent click-throughs, and exposure (people seeing their ads) make purchases through those affiliate's links just to gas their (our) heads up into promoting them even more?

Why I ask: I have had advertisers who offer decent commission, good products/services. I will test their links/ads to see how they convert. I will have a sale that comes in, that gets my attention. Then a message from the advertiser(s) stating they have noticed potential in our partnership and they offer an incentive, especially if there is front page promotion, as an example. After making x number of pages, and placing their banners/links within the top fold, I never see another transaction. Click-throughs are great... but that is the extent of it.

Do you think affiliate managers/advertisers will make purchases through their affiliate's links just to gas 'em up?

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

Hmm, interesting idea...

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com
    "All your affiliate are belong to us"

ABW Ambassador
    Chuck,

That is an interesting question. But I would not base the success of a program on 1 or 2 orders and a call from the AM. There are significantly more variables involved here. If you really are concerned about the legitimacy of those orders, ask about them. They may or may not tell you they did it, or the truth, but you should base the exposure you give them on the overall program. Look at the long term rather than the short-term single sale.

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcc:
    Hmm, interesting idea...

Konstantin,
    http://www.GenericGifts.com
    "All your affiliate are belong to us"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you really want to make me some money through your affiliate program with shareasale.com, go ahead and purchase away. BTW, why were you soliciting me to join with you, apart from sas? Whats the difference between me joining your affiliate program, versus the one through shareasale.com?

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The cost to the merchant is nominal since they don't really delivery any product ordered in this senerio.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I do believe this happens but it could be goul play involved as well. I only say this because I'm amazed at the number of times I've put up a merchants links and quickly get a sale or a couple of sales and then the well runs dry. This alternate is where you just about reach the payment theshold and they cut your sales off .

Hey Mike - you still at 24.88 with that merchant?

The other scammy type thing I think happens is you've got a link thats converting - they offer you a temporary incentive - you grab it change links and thud - no more sales! I am becomming more and more leary of this as it's happened to frequently to me and right now will be the time when a bunch of merchants will offer you these links - I'm passing on the ones that are converting "really" - LOL.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ..."Hey Mike - you still at 24.88 with that merchant?" They went into the BF dead pool Poon owing all those over/under 25.00.

Your right about being weary of the special limited time upgrades offers that supposedly revert back to the old commission level. Sometimes the revert back switch gets gummed up. Mark those expiration dates and manually revert your self back to the old levels from the affiliate interface.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Originally I voted no. On further reflection , I guess it is possible , especially if the merchant is a little fishy.

Just think. If you have a high traffic page , they can get a lot of exposure and clicks at a very low "cost" . Especially if their sales "tracking" all of a sudden fails. Not a long term proposition for the merchant , but very cost efficient while it last.

As for "special deals". Most merchants , including Toledo Swords , will work with their more productive affiliates. But usually AFTER the affiliate proves themselves. Only rarely on "potential" , and then if only set goals are met. Just long term , solid , business thinking. ( oops , I forgot , this is the internet , most merchants don't THINK long term )

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread