My First WordPress Theme
    Last week I was frustrated trying to modify a WordPress theme and so somehow I got sucked down the rabbit hole. Today I have my first (and maybe last) theme finished. It was kind of fun in a way, and now I feel like forgetting about WP for a while.

It's running live on one site and 95% complete on another with different looks on each. Here is the tutorial that walked me through it. The site is hard on my eyes with white fonts on black.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Last week I was frustrated trying to modify a WordPress theme and so somehow I got sucked down the rabbit hole. Today I have my first (and maybe last) theme finished. It was kind of fun in a way, and now I feel like forgetting about WP for a while.

It's running live on one site and 95% complete on another with different looks on each. Here is the tutorial that walked me through it. The site is hard on my eyes with white fonts on black.
    WHAT?? You aren't even going to let us see or perhaps test your new theme? Perhaps in the sight review forum? Perhaps a PM with a link?? I, for one, would love to see what you've done.

I've seen that site you linked to, though I've not looked around enough to find his lessons on building a WP theme. Now I have something MORE to take a stab at in my "spare" time.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    WHAT?? You aren't even going to let us see or perhaps test your new theme? Perhaps in the sight review forum? Perhaps a PM with a link?? I, for one, would love to see what you've done.
    I'm a little shy about putting it public yet since it's my first effort. Knowing that you are a kind spirited sort of guy, I would be glad to send you the zipped template in an email if you want. PM me if so.

Congratulations!! Designing a WP theme is one of those things that I have not even come close to attempting yet. I would love to do it sometime because I have WP blogs on about 5 of my sites and only one of them is really as customized as I would like. But it does seem like a pretty major endeavor.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats on your mastery. I am envious.

Nice to hear of your advanced WP skills, bumpaw. I hope your plates turned out like you wanted them to.

-sfcom

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    If you are creating a wordpress theme (which really isn't that complicated), or if you are interested in writing plugins, you'll find information at codex.wordpress.org.

Don't forget to look at the themes you currently have as examples.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    If you are creating a wordpress theme (which really isn't that complicated), or if you are interested in writing plugins, you'll find information at codex.wordpress.org.

Don't forget to look at the themes you currently have as examples.
    Not "that complicated" for a young pliable mind, but I don't have one.

Codex and current themes are definite good points.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread