More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Land of The NFL Champs!
    Deduct a Donation?
    I use music from for background for videos. It is free but they encourage donations, as many services do. So I gave a small donation. Can I claim this as an expense when doing taxes?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

No Longer Banned!
    Wilmer, Texas 75172
    Can I write Off A Hobby Donation ?....

As long as it is to a 501(c), yes. though there are exceptions, this includes the red cross, churches, Homeless Out Reach, max factor ~ Oh wait a minute, he's not a 501(c), he's just in prison.

United way, Volunteers Of America, campaign funds, political activities some times.

a guy with a hobby is not likely to fall into this category unless you can show that 80% of the object in question is is used in your biz. Often some thing are allowed a prorated deduction based on the usage %. But that's a royal pain in the ass. Billy K got it right when he decided to have 2 cars. The IRS is a punk.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Steve Williams; July 29th, 2008 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree.... | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

If you file your return as a business and your videos are for the purpose of creating income through your business, then yes, this would be a business expense.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread