Anybody know of a good motor scooter/moped affiliate program?
    It seems to me there probably is a growing market right now for a niche website on something to do with motor scooters and mopeds. Even with gas falling back below a $4 gallon price tag, the demand for scooters and bikes is probably still there.

I'm a member of the UrbanScooters affiliate program at SAS. Unfortunately, they have a very small stock and a no-images datafeed.

I would prefer some merchant with a fair number of scooters/mopeds available, and something with a datafeed that has image links if possible.

I did a "Google" and came up with a couple, but they are indy affiliate programs, one of them paying out only once each quarter. I'm hesitant on those.

Anybody know of something really good?

Thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

It will be hard because of the snow. No one drives a two-wheeler in the snow.

You will find plenty of scooter and moped merchants in countries and states that are along the equator.

Quote Originally Posted by 25trees
    It will be hard because of the snow. No one drives a two-wheeler in the snow.

You will find plenty of scooter and moped merchants in countries and states that are along the equator.
    Uh, snow? In most of the U.S. snow isn't an issue for more than half the year, but I see what you are saying about other parts of the world.

And, by the way, I have friends with motor scooters/mopeds/motorcycles, and bicycles who ride them year around.
    Generate more fake news.

I make a few sales a year with neoscooters, but otherwise my scooter sales have been negligible for the last couple of years.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    I make a few sales a year with neoscooters, but otherwise my scooter sales have been negligible for the last couple of years.

-John.
    Ah! I think neoscooters was the program I found via Google which said it pays quarterly. That ever been an issue for you?
    Generate more fake news.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I suppose Amazon could be a fall back......
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I chatted with the Neo guys at one point and was not blown away by their offering.

With gas prices as ridiculous as they are, someone has to have stepped up
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Talk to Frank at UrbanScooters who has a forum here: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Here is one:
    Last edited by Trust; August 14th, 2008 at 12:02 AM.

rhammersmith - please don't post affiliate links, even 2 tier ones.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thumbs up New affiliate program for scooters
    I just signed up for a new one and talked with someone over there. Speedypocketbikes.com is pretty good and they pay you as soon as you reach $50 bucks in commissions. I talked with them and the commissions range from $10 to $100 per order your refer. Not bad, especially after looking at some of these other sites.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Spam post?
    Revising thread from 2008?

BAM. reported

Not a bad thread to be "resurrected" - the current economic climate may make scooters a viable niche as the weather warms across the northern tier of the United States. I have an old domain that fits quite well and could be interested in an answer to Gary's original question.

Gary - Don't be afraid of indy programs. My three main sources of revenue are with indies and I have been using them for nine, seven and five years respectively. It is possible to get "stung" by using a new indie, but many have been around a long time. Besides, if you are not doing PPC there is little to lose except for initial development time.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Hi folks, Harvey here from NeoScooters. Thought I would jump in here.

Sales last summer were through the roof. Perception of a strong economy and high gas prices made for the perfect storm. Sales so far this year have been about 40% of last year for the same time period. Folks choosing between making a house payment or buying a scooter for their kid are obviously choosing the former.

The bulk of the scooters we sell are entry level, Chinese imports that run around $499 to $599 and a an online vendor can expect to make about 15% after all is said an done. We pay our affiliates 5% or about a third of our profit. More and more dealers like us are having to offer "gimmes" like loss leader helmets to make sales, so margins are even tighter. That's why you don't see $50 payouts on a $400 sale, since that's often the total margin the dealer sees. On the upside, our average sale is about $350, on the downside, the market is slow now.

One good thing is that the scooters generally don't change season to season like some products (shoes for example). Most of us pull from 2-3 distributors who have dialed into a product line that has served them well over the years, so there's not a ton of work required updating your site every week.

My suggestion if I was setting up a new affiliate site, would be to try and find a niche such as a site that catered to folks who don't have, or recently lost their drivers license. Campuses are also starting to cater to electric transportation, and I think there is a market for someone who could set up a series of "local" sites to sell to college kids needing inexpensive transportation.

My farthings worth.

Harvey

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoscooters
    Hi folks, Harvey here from NeoScooters. Thought I would jump in here.
    Harvey:

Welcome to ABW.

I think it's pretty cool that your first post was to a thread directly related to your business.

I think it's bizarre that your first post was to a thread from 2005.

That is all.

ABW Ambassador
    2005? First post was 2008

Oops, my bad. That's Remodeling Guys "join" date.

Guess a post that's only 10 months old isn't really "that" old.

I guess.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyburbs
    Oops, my bad. That's Remodeling Guys "join" date.

Guess a post that's only 10 months old isn't really "that" old.

I guess.

You mean Writerguy?

Old Writerguy might as well jump back in here, since I started this thread nearly a year ago. LOL! (My join date is in 2005, but I think that was when the ABW forums software was changed. In real life, I've been hanging around these parts since 2003 or 2004, I think.)

I checked out the Neoscooters website and tried to get details about their affiliate program. As far as I found, they require you to register for the affiliate program before you even get any info about it. Never have cared for that model of affiliate marketing, so I probably won't.

Since I started the website referenced in the OP from last July, I've been using urbanscooters and eBay Partner's Network. It has proven to be a waste of time all around, but perhaps because I've not kept updating and marketing it regularly.

I know most of you probably won't understand this, but, alas, I often have too many niche ideas and too many websites going to develop them properly. Probably just me.

But, since gasoline prices seem to be on the rise again, maybe I'll dust the site off and see if I can get it up and thriving.

(Oh, also -- the neoscooters website seems to have some fairly serious affiliate leaks along the left sidebar to other scooter shops, even some hiking boots and outdoor gear.)
    Generate more fake news.

Hi Folks, I wondered about the 2005 reference too and came on back to take a peek.

Yes we do indeed have leaks, brought about by my attempts to improve rankings on our other sites. The leaks are to Legend Boot Shop which is indeed a site I own also with an affiliate program run by me. You should also see Big RC Models again owned by us with an affiliate program as well. One of our most successful affiliates has a site that caters to the demographic that apparently likes RC Models and Scooters and does well with both. The shoes are a pain; 9000 pairs that change randomly each season, with the hassle of keeping up with what specific sizes are in stock as well.

I first joined ABW in 2003 back when I started online as an affiliate linking to our scooter site which I then later acquired. I was actually an affiliate to Frank's site at one point.

I dropped off of this forum back in 2004 when I (seemingly helpfully) mentioned a product I had used to get started as a newbie and was roundly flamed by one self appointed moderator, as "impersonating a scooter affiliate" to promote my affiliate books. Seemed back then like I was bumping constantly into largely unfriendly, territorial folks who were incredibly knowledgable but not really eager to share what they knew. I was as green as they came, and looking back was probably posting links to my site seeking feedback on layout issues and such which didn't go over well.

I scan our domain name regularly to see how our brand is being perceived, found the reference to this thread and thought I would drop by and see if things had changed any and share a bit about what's happening in the stand-up scooter business.

I appreciate your warm welcome back Karl!

Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    You mean Writerguy?
    Note to self: Don't post on Friday afternoons. Your brain can't handle it.

:-P

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread