VeriSign Site Finder Service Update

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

Good! I hope they are prohibited from reactivating it. The 40 million people who used the service over the past 2 weeks didn't really have an option to NOT use the service, did they?

Cr@p like this just makes it more likely that big bad government will have to stick it's big, fat, taxing finger into the Internet pot at some point. That will make it more expensive for all of us.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    This is cause for a toast. The first time a move by the Ad wanks was pulled due to ethics and breach of trust issues. Damn it's week a real week with the Do-Not-call list wacking the telemarketers and Calif putting a real dent in Opt-Out spammers and their sponsors.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Great news! Someone should drive a stake through their heart and make it permanent. When I finally transferred the last of my domains out of Verisign Hell, I thought I was free of those a-holes. Little did I know I would see them popping up uninvited, hijacking my browser whenever I misspelled something.

There is a special place in Hell for these arrogant SOBs.

Wayne

They only pulled it because the lawsuits are probably well over what they will ever make in 20 years. JERKS!

Its not over yet, the lawyers and accountants are the ENTIRE panel. The meetings are like this;” can we afford this lawsuit or that lawsuit? Hum how long can we take the hit before people stop complaining? Hum do you think the income will offset everything?"

JERKS!

Wow- this one surprised me. With as little frontline media attention that this one got - I never figured they'd cave so soon, if ever. Let's hope it sticks.

As far as having the government regulate the "Don't Call List" - I'd rather have the jobs available, now there will be 50,000 more people looking for another way to make a living and I guarantee they'll run straight to the net. It's easy to regulate callers if you're not lazy. If you don't love hanging up on them the Telezapper works just fine.

Hijacking is another story....

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    365 Day Cookie | Parasite Free | Commission on ALL Sales

ABW Ambassador
    I just typed in an "invalid" url and it still is taking me to the versign page as it were...today on Saturday.

So it appears that they are not consistently applying this new stay....

It is now 2:10 pm PST and I've already had 2 referrals by Verisign to my site this afternoon. I guess they decided that "temporarily" wasn't a very long time.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

ABW Ambassador
    Verisign can continue to hijack the web for a little while longer. From the ICANN announcement:

"If VeriSign does not comply with this demand by 6:00 PM PDT on 4 October 2003, ICANN will be forced to take the steps necessary to enforce VeriSign's contractual obligations."

Verisign has a privacy policy on their hijack page that considers the victims it snares as "visitors." It describes the tracking it does of these "visitors" and the cookies it places on their computers.

This is nothing but spyware. ICANN should do what it can to put this scum out of business.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Cookies, yes, they do that. But is being actually tracked?
    I bet they want to get as much out of it as they can.... yes, Wayne, you said it right: scum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As far as having the government regulate the "Don't Call List" - I'd rather have the jobs available, now there will be 50,000 more people looking for another way to make a living and I guarantee they'll run straight to the net. It's easy to regulate callers if you're not lazy. If you don't love hanging up on them the Telezapper works just fine.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, I don't mind answering the phone and telling them not interested.

But lately I just make up some company name and says

Hello this is "my company name" can I help you?

they usually hang up! lol...

my friends and family knows it so they don't hang up.

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nova - Mrs. Hello this is "my company name" can I help you?
    they usually hang up! lol...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmm, I have just the opposite problem, my primary line used to be my business line and I have to convince them (on the 1% of the time that I actually answer) that this is not a business Generally, they want to save me thousands on long-distance, but I don't do long-distance, so they're lost without a paddle anyway

Why would a telemarketing company want to spend money to call someone who's specifically asked to not receive calls via the Do Not Call list? When they call, they know their call isn't wanted, and that it will be an intrusion.

I do not welcome marketing calls. It is an interruption to me. I get junk in the mail, pop ups on the Internet, 25 minutes of ads during a 1 hour show on TV. Enough is enough. I consider calls from telemarketers harrasment, because my numbers are on the Do Not Call list. My intent is clear: DON'T BOTHER ME!

As for VeriSign, they are getting too big for their britches, and the seat needs to be taken in a bit!

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    So true ..."Cookies, yes, they do that. But is being actually tracked?
    I bet they want to get as much out of it as they can.... yes, Wayne, you said it right: scum."

Not just a cookie ...an actual invasive web bug on that re-direct page that scraps info off your computer and plants a Web GPS monitor in your browers that calls home your surfing habits and keyword usage for resell. Justification is for that "contextual" spin to better focus the displayed paid links and some Pop unders for getting hijacked to their 404 error page.

Speculation from the master baiter: Forget them not knowing their 404 page upset all ISP spam blocking software. The DMA, through member Overture, considered that a bonus for the Opt-Out spammers, Ad whores and Telemarketers getting wacked by the consumer advocacy groups.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    "Cookies, yes, they do that. But is being actually tracked?

Well, according to their "privacy policy" they track your IP, where you came from and where you go.

Can't remember what if anything else and I seem to not be able to get back into their hijack pages again to check. I guess they're honoring ICANN's order.

Wayne

(Edited for yet more spelling errors.)

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread