Affiliate Manager
    Best Canadian Affiliate Network
    I recently started working for an online retailer in the US. We are looking at expanding into Canada and I'm currently doing research into setting up our affiliate program.
    Would love to hear your feedback about the best affiliate networks in Canada. Which affiliate network do affiliates like the most in Canada?

Thanks,

burgi82

Just use the same affiliate program for both the US & Canada no need to setup a differnt program. I suggest that you do create some Canadian Links & Banners though.

ABW Ambassador
    kse is correct
    No need for a Canadian network.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi burgi82,

Unfortunately I have not found a Canadian Affiliate Network that can compare with the programs south of the (Canadian/US) border. There are a few but they tend to have a smaller selection of lesser known merchants, problems with their Websites or down-right bizzar and difficult to use interfaces. Most are filled with "Coke versus Pepsi" and Free Stuff style campaigns. I have been steering merchants that ask towards SAS.

What is probably more important than the network you choose will be how you handle shipping into Canada. Will you be setting-up a warehouse in Canada? Canada Post runs a great program called Borderfree that you can integrate into your shopping cart that will tell Canadian shoppers exactly how much taxes/duties and brokerage fees they will pay. Last thing - hire at least one Canadian so that you don't fall into marketing to the American image of what a Canadian is versus what we are. (Beer, igloos, aboot, Eh?)

Don't forget to announce your new campaign here.

Good luck,
    CanadianDave

Hi Burgi82,

I would tend to agree with KSE and the other folks.

As a Montreal-based network, we get a lot of inquiries from merchants such as yourself, who are either looking to expand into the Canadian market or have a product exclusively available for Canadians. Some we have taken on, others we have had to pass on, simply because at this point, Canadian traffic remains a bit elusive.

The problem is that, unlike the UK, Europe, Asian and Latin America, the majority of Canadians still use the same TLDs (.com, .org, .net) as Americans, rather than using .ca TLD. More and more businesses and affiliates are starting to create .ca prefixes, but it takes time. It's a relatively new trend.

The other problem is that compared to the US, there simply isn't the same volume of affiliates or customers. Thus businesses need to adjust their expectations in terms of results and required investment.

With all that being said, there are many networks, merchants and affiliates steadily working away at entering this market. One rapidly growing segment is Canadian shopping portals, which, as a Canadian who shops online, I can tell you are extremely important. It is laughable how long packages can get delayed just shipping from New York to Montreal.

As for us, we’re building slowly but steadily. We're in talks with some very strong Canadian brands at the moment as well. We'll see what this fall brings for Share Results...

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you very much for the help everybody.
    Going with a US based affiliate network was the initial idea here too, but I just wanted to see if anybody has any other great ideas. Your help is very much appreciated.
    I will make sure to announce the program once it's all setup.
    And to answer some questions: We are a US based retailer, but will setup a shipping facility in Canada, so that our customers don't have to worry about shipping delays.

And do not forget Canadian Links, Banners and a Canadian Landing page that highlights you shipping options etc....

Good Luck and hoping to read the announcement soon

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    And do not forget Canadian Links, Banners and a Canadian Landing page that highlights you shipping options etc....
    I second what kse said..

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    I have been steering merchants that ask towards SAS.
    I was just in touch with SAS and I would love to setup the program with them. However, since the website will be exclusively targeted to Canadians and will be in Canadian $, it appears that I can't use SAS cause I would have to convert the sale amount into US $ before paying commissions. I'm just not sure if that is even feasible on our end. I wish SAS would let me process commission payments in CAD $.
    Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot for all the feedback so far.

Well thats really to bad, I have been plugging them with some of my other merchants who deal in canadian $$ as well. I hope they come up with a way to except Canadian sites with Can $$

Hi burgi82,

Share Results is able to support exclusively Canadian affiliate programs, both with tracking / reporting in the currency of your choice, as well as payment in Canadian currency.

I'll send you a PM, if you'd like to discuss more I'd be happy to set up a time to chat.

Cheers

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    burgi82,

It is true that we would need your sale number sent to us in USD ... we have quite a few merchants that do this from either the UK or Canada or elsewhere....

We do pay by direct deposit to Canada in either USD or CAD to affiliates...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

burgi82 I really hope you work with SAS on this and reconsider placing your program with them. They are a great team to work with. Many happy affiliate (and merchants I hear)

If you are looking for exclusively Canadian branded campaigns, check out AdCanadian.

That's what we do.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread