WTF Norton....
    So I get home from dinner with a good friend, and I find Norton running a scan on my PC. I don't have, never had, and will NEVER have their product on my PC.

I downloaded no software today.

I installed no software today.

My computer was dead idle when I left.

WTF Norton?

This sounds like the makings of a lawsuit to me....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

In college, I was in charge of the art department's computer labs. I spent more time fixing computers because Norton had corrupted and completely screwed up the computer than I spent fixing computers due to viruses and other issues. Norton also screwed up my personal computer once and I swore I'd never touch their products again. Unfortunately, my dad tried their products and screwed up his computer. Not a good track record in our family....
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    So I get home from dinner with a good friend, and I find Norton running a scan on my PC. I don't have, never had, and will NEVER have their product on my PC.

I downloaded no software today.

I installed no software today.

My computer was dead idle when I left.

WTF Norton?

This sounds like the makings of a lawsuit to me....

Kevin

I don't do much with paid software. Though the premis is the same. What you describe is not physically possible with out human intervention.

I suggest you get your box checked for a virus. You may not have the security you thought you once had.

Hope this helps

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Were there any libations shared with dinner? LOL
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

No sir, Alan. (well, one..)

Generally, Steve, I would agree with you on your point, but I seriously haven't downloaded any software in weeks. And AVG or Spybot both don't detect any malware floating around.

So I'm really at a loss as to who invited Norton.

My PC is p/w protected, and I was out of town for a few days. My wife has her own anyhow, so she wouldn't bother using this one.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Wow, that is weird.

>I was out of town for a few days

Anyone house-sitting?
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    they have a security scan tool that is often bundled with other stuff. google, for example, bundles the norton security scan tool with several of it's software programs, like the google pack. so does yahoo, the yahoo toolbar has it. so does adobe, it's a default option in many versions of shockwave and other adobe downloads.

also, many new machines come with norton, and i've noticed that when you uninstall all of it, in the control panel, you'll often find the symantec updater still there... hmmm... wonder why they leave that? :-(

everyone wants to own every desktop.

and we've mainly stood by and let them.

persoanlly, i bought tons of apple stock, cuz i think people are absolutely sick of being treated like billboards.

Norton has a remover tool you can download at their site, but that tool is the only way to completely remove it from your system. Using the control panel "Remove Software" does not remove Norton.

My wife was house sitting. But I have a hard core gaming PC with a case you need to open in order to power the machine up. No way she would have figured that out

@ Donuts: There was a Shockwave ad running on the Scan Panel, but I don't have Shockwave either.

The only thing I can think of is that it was bundled with an Adobe update that went in overnight. And therefore, without me okaying it with a click.

And we all know how we feel about things happening without a click....
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

But you said you left the system idle not turned off.

Maybe the wife was playing a game got worried and ran the virus scan.

I can all but guarantee she didn't. At least that's what she says. And she doesn't play games
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

All women play games.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I can all but guarantee she didn't. At least that's what she says. And she doesn't play games
    Thats what you think.

She probably pays pogo and zone.com on it among other things. lol

No Longer Banned!
    No sir, Alan. (well, one..)

Generally, Steve, I would agree with you on your point, but I seriously haven't downloaded any software in weeks. And AVG or Spybot both don't detect any malware floating around.

So I'm really at a loss as to who invited Norton.

My PC is p/w protected, and I was out of town for a few days. My wife has her own anyhow, so she wouldn't bother using this one.
    Kevin

I'm not all that advance yet. But I can tell you that passwords don't mean shit. The only way to secure a computer is to un plug it and remove the hard drive and keep the hrd drive in a sfe deposit box at you bank and the computer in your closet out of sight.

I was just reading a bout a new Virus {I forgot the name, I don't know how to write them anyway} and these guys are no longer after fame, they are trying to infect your box as silently as possible in an effort to stay in the "loop" {That means sucking you dry} as long as they can in an effort to monetize your misery.

This no longer about getting your name in the papers and then going to jail, this now about making long term residual income off you your children and anyonre else in the spider web they park on your box.

Soon, UTUBE will be littered with vids from your pc Kevin after these hackers figure out how to watch AND record you right through your LCD just like is now possible on a tv screen.

If you can say that stuff w/ 90% certainty brother, then you should seriously reconsider yoiur security landscape.

Donuts is correct and so is 2 busy, there is one way to remove OEM Crapware. This is something you should do. At the same time, please be awre that I can i draw a picture of you on YOUR computer from MY OFFICE in bangledesh. All with out you doing sa thing. The tool is sold at Wal*Mart ~ Yikes. All you need to do is leave your box turned on. ~ Even with a fire wall on high.

It's your call my man. I just hope I helped you out.. ~ NOw I just hope I don't get flamed. {Or more hate mail, they clog my box ! HEEE HEEE HEEE HEE}

OK. Kevin, humor aside. Best wishes !

Steve

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread