No Longer Banned!
    Control Open Widow Size @ P.O.S. ?....
    Hi

How do I control window size at the P.O.S. ?

eg. When the customer mashes the buy button and the window opens, how do I control the open window size ?

I never bothered to use google first cuz I have no idea what this is even called.

The end result will be a basic {Or basically be a version of a} screen shot of this featured item when the window finally opens.

So if I went to http://Abestweb.com/Wall.The.Pool.jr and mashed the Buy Button, I would get A pic of the object for sale {or some specific info i control} say for example a pic of Haiko De Poel, Jr. and some text perhaps ?

Here I can learn about how Haikos ancesters were Master Wall builders and other pertinent stuff and get a screen shot sized window that shows only how I can buy Haikos Book on how to wall pools like the masters did at some point.

The idea is to control what the user sees.

This may be a rather advanced q: If so, Please please reply only if you know the string for this. Or you need to ask a q. to help me correctly define the string. Thanks guys !

Steve

Quick and dirty, also cloaks the url.
    <a href="http://www.example.com" onclick="window.open('http://www.example.com/page.html','','width=250, height=250');return false">SITE</a>

Be careful popping windows and changing sizes. Some popups are blocked, some users don't like new windows, some users hate resized windows. Some users really hate resized popup windows. They do have their uses, just use carefully.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

No Longer Banned!
    K. Drastic.

So how do I do this w/o it being read as a pop up and such ?

Are you in your office today ?

Steve

Well, let me first suggest backing up for a minute and think about why it is you want to do this.

What is the purpose of popping a window and making it a different size? How will that help your visitor or yourself? Is this to help drive a specific behavior such as to result in a specific sale or click? Just want to keep them on your site?

When you do something outside of the normal browsing experience, plan for the visitor's reaction.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drastic
    Well, let me first suggest backing up for a minute and think about why it is you want to do this.

What is the purpose of popping a window and making it a different size? How will that help your visitor or yourself? Is this to help drive a specific behavior such as to result in a specific sale or click? Just want to keep them on your site?

When you do something outside of the normal browsing experience, plan for the visitor's reaction.
    Drastic

The idea here is to just keep them on my site. I don't want them going elsewhere for various reasons.

Later on I will slowly scrap this for reasons I won't go into here, though this move is temporary.

Ideas ?

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

What is the click for, a sale? Is it going to a merchant site or what?

Can you be a little more specific about what you're trying to do?

No Longer Banned!
    What is the click for, a sale? Is it going to a merchant site or what?

Can you be a little more specific about what you're trying to do?
    Drastic

I am trying to set the string so that when the merchants sit opens up, the banners ads buttons and eye candy, AAARRRRGGGH, OHHHH that eye candy the got on their is cloaked.

I built the link, I drove the traffic, I earned the sale. ~ Who is Xmerchant.com ?
    In effect I am blocking the user from leaving my site and I dont want to have it b e showing up as a pop up if I can avoid it.

This is the key to keeping my visitors.

What would be ideal is to writ a string that blocks ALL images from xmerchant.com EXCEPT the one in the string I specifically added to my page. So if I'm selling toy tractor trailers, only toy tractor trailr .png will show up in front of my visitors eyes. Not the M&M Chocolate Candy Brazier ,png for 11.95. I have no interest in my 10 year old kid seeing me selling womans underwear. And I have no interest in my vistors going to yyy.com to shop, even if I do get the cookie.

I really don't wanna be a link farm. So if I need to be, then I guess I just need to be creative.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

So what you are saying is you dont want the visitor to see they are on a merchant's site? You want them to think they are still on yours?
    Myself, I don't want the visitor to stay on my site long at all, I want them at the merchant shopping, putting things in their cart and checking out. The less time on my site the better.

No Longer Banned!
    Drastic

This will allow the visitor to shop my site and move to the shopping cart or toggle between the cart and the site the customer started out on.

I guess if we're gonna use a custom script for example, we ought to get the specifications down.

The trick could be in the data feed scripts I do not control.I have a few ideas for this but my .php is frankly pretty rusty. My .css is nearly non existant.

Html is not dynamic either so, it seems that there are a few things to consider here. But still seems doable.

I can always convert the string to html, Simple enough I spose. But will the feed tracker still read it as .php ? ....

Please advise

Steve

I *think* I understand what you're saying, and it sounds like you're trying to over-engineer the process.

The plan you have in mind, if I understand it, is you want the visitor to come to your site, click through to a merchant page which only shows the product linked and nothing else. Then you want them to buy that product from that page with nothing else on it, and stay on your site.

You are going to have a rough road making that work. Even if you get it technically, it is going to be very strange from the visitor's point of view which means fewer sales.

Unless you have a merchant that promotes this type of thing and helps with the technical end of it (offers you the cart on your site and payment page on theirs) you are wasting your time.

Affiliate marketing doesn't work like that.

No Longer Banned!
    I *think* I understand what you're saying, and it sounds like you're trying to over-engineer the process.

The plan you have in mind, if I understand it, is you want the visitor to come to your site, click through to a merchant page which only shows the product linked and nothing else. Then you want them to buy that product from that page with nothing else on it, and stay on your site.

You are going to have a rough road making that work. Even if you get it technically, it is going to be very strange from the visitor's point of view which means fewer sales.

Unless you have a merchant that promotes this type of thing and helps with the technical end of it (offers you the cart on your site and payment page on theirs) you are wasting your time.

Affiliate marketing doesn't work like that.

The cart will still be theirs ~ For now. But that is not for this thread.

When the User "Continues to Shop, putting Items intheir Cart" as connie berg put it {BTW: Thanks Connie, You were a big help w/ this phrase indeed}, it will be on my site. not at joes crab shak dot CON ~ .

I'm always thinking. BTW: I was told this is a rather common practise. Interesting points you make here man.

Steve

I think you are looking for a different setup than what typical aff marketing does. There are some setups that allow you to host the cart and that kind of thing, but I've never heard of you controlling what is displayed on a product merchant's landing page, unless you have a special deal, relationship or this is offered to you by the merchant themselves.

There are uses for advanced linking and relationships, but may I suggest that you learn to crawl and then walk before running.

Get some good affiliate sales and sales history (in other words make some money in general) using tried and true practices, before worrying about perfecting and specializing different aspects.

No Longer Banned!
    I think you are looking for a different setup than what typical aff marketing does. There are some setups that allow you to host the cart and that kind of thing, but I've never heard of you controlling what is displayed on a product merchant's landing page, unless you have a special deal, relationship or this is offered to you by the merchant themselves.

There are uses for advanced linking and relationships, but may I suggest that you learn to crawl and then walk before running.

Get some good affiliate sales and sales history (in other words make some money in general) using tried and true practices, before worrying about perfecting and specializing different aspects.

thanks. I just see the merchants landing pages as Link Farm and grotesque {Kinda like most ladies feel about Hair}.

I currently have a set up where I can add my own shopping cart etc and it sits there unused.

For now I was trying to do this w/o merchant involvement. Write script. Install said script.

I was under the impression that not having this would hurt sales.

Steve

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread