Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Merchants that ship to Canada
    I have this thought stuck in my head after reading another post in the Canadian forum this morning. Like the rest of you, I spend a great deal of time researching merchants to see what new ones are a good fit for the traffic I have or if there are any new ones that are worth starting a new site for. For my Canadian sites, the first thing I have to do is determine:

a) do they ship from Canada? (zero duties)
    b) (if not) do they ship to Canada?
    c) what do they charge for shipping to Canada or do they provide flat rates?
    d) do they participate in any programs like BorderFree?
    e) do they have Canadian specific landing pages/creatives?

It would be great to see up front if a merchant ships to Canada. I realise that several networks allow you to filter Merchants based on their delivery capabilities but this has always been very hit or miss.

I guess the purpose of this post is to encourage (within the TOS of the forum) merchants who are Canadian friendly to post in the Canadian area and let us know. Our poor little area gets precious little traffic but it does have a loyal following!

Can't help but mention the BelenGift.com's affiliate program (17% commission deal inside!!). Belen stocks in Canada (besides their US facility), never ships across the border, and does have Canada-specific creatives and landing pages.

Thanks.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Geno!

Thanks to one of your earlier posts, I was on top of this program from fairly early on... This type of post is exactly what I am hoping to see more of.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    We ship to Canada via USPS International Priority. We do not have any crazy rates.

At one time we did not as UPS would charge an arm and a leg to deliver a package + tag on some crazy delivery fee.

Check us out... LostGolfBalls.com

I am interested to learn about BorderFree and the IT cost to implement it.

Perfume.com Shipping to Canada
    The majority of items at Perfume.com ship to Canada and we're just working on a way to filter as such. Currently it'll say on each product whether it ships to Canada or not. It's 9.95, and nothing like BorderFree (I'll look into that further), and no Canadian creative (yet, working on it!).

Living in Canada, I totally feel your pain!

Cheers,
    Last edited by parmstro; July 31st, 2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: More info!
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

As a point of interest, one of my merchants ships TO Canada, but takes the visitor OUT of the store & over to an international checkout area.

I have asked them if affiliate sales are still tracked (no reply yet). I've been burnt before - promoted a merchant who was shipping to Canada, but it turned out only the US sales were tracked for commissions!

I'm in Canada myself, and understand the problems facing Canadians when it comes on online shopping from the US. I think the concept has been slower to take off here due to infrastructure issues - duties, taxes, mysterious "border broker" fees added to your bill. For Canadian merchants, shipping TO the U.S. can be problematic too (free trade never quite worked out in our favor!). And for shipping within Canada, our postal system isn't as efficient as in the US or UK.

Anyone who has ordered from Victoria's Secret is well aware of the problems facing Canadian online shoppers - your $200 order usually costs $300 by the time duty, taxes & shipping charges are added. It's really a shame.

Added: I think DHL still uses a "border broker".. I received a $15 invoice 2 weeks after a package arrived.. VERY annoying...

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Eric, parmstro & teezone,

I appreciate the responses.

Eric, It's good to know that you ship to Canada. I took a look on your site and there is nothing on your shipping page to indicate that you ship to Canada. Any chance of giving us a paragraph?

parmstro, Perfume.com looks like a good fit for one of my sites. Thanks for answering the call. I will apply today. Any chance of getting a Canadian landing page to go with the new creatives tou are working on?

teezone, we all have horror stories like that! Many Canadians seem to be at peace with having to pay the duties, shipping and brokerage fees so I think as long as people can see the whole price up front (so they can make an informed choice based on price) - they will be a little more content.

I hope we can keep this thread going for a while...

Hi CanadianDave,

AbeBooks.com also ships to Canada (we're a Canadian company actually -- based in Victoria B.C.).

All our sellers are required to ship to any country in the world, and you can* filter for books that are only found in Canada, for instance. We have a Canadian microsite AbeBooks.ca, which is part of our affiliate program as well.

I'm not sure if books are a fit for you, but if they are you'd be welcome aboard.

*Edited for a grammatical error
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Great Post CanadianDave I am also looking for the same types of merchants. Here is how I rate a merchant for the Canadian Shopper:

Shipping:
    - If they use UPS/FedEx/DHL Ground I never list them
    - Flat rates are great however charging $30 shipping on a $20 pair of jeans is nuts
    - Canada Post/USPS are good
    - Love Free Shipping offers

Canadian Landing Page is good
    Canadain Banners are a Plus

ABW Ambassador
    kse,

What's the deal with UPS/FedEx/DHL Ground? Do you avoid because the brokerage fees? I have never really thought about that.

Free Shipping offers: Can you imagine if a US merchant provided free shipping to Canada? They would be all alone with no competition with millions of wide-eyed Canadian rushing to get their CIBC Visa cards out! (hint, hint)

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    Thanks Geno!Thanks to one of your earlier posts, I was on top of this program from fairly early on... This type of post is exactly what I am hoping to see more of.
    Good thought Dave,

I'll post in the Canadian forum, but I'm still an Avalanche fan!! Just wanted to be transparent on that up front so there are no hard feelings come hockey season.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    We ship to Canada every day, USPS and FedEx.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

[QUOTE=CanadianDave]kse,
    What's the deal with UPS/FedEx/DHL Ground? Do you avoid because the brokerage fees? I have never really thought about that......QUOTE]

Yes brokerage fees is the problem, would never shop at a site that used UPS/FedEx/DHL Ground so then why would I tell others to shop their. The way I pick a merchant is that if I would shop their then I would list, if I would not shop their then I will not list. After a while people begin to trust your opinions and sites. I am not is this for a quick buck rather the long run....

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    We ship to Canada every day, USPS and FedEx.
    Can the shopper pick either option?

Absolutely
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Absolutely
    Hi Bob thanks for the reply,

Maybe you should talk to them about their shipping page (Shipping.html):

Shipping Info

Note! You will be e-mailed directly from DHL with your tracking number when your order is shipped. Delivery times may vary based on the availability of an item........

No were on this page does it talk about USPS or Canadian Shipping. I have looked at the site in that past but just thought they did not ship to Canada. The firt page I check when picking sites to list or shop is their main shipping page.

Maybe a Canadian Landing page may be a good idea.

Also they have two different shipping pages that are different. The one on the left menu (shipping.htm) and the one one the bottom menu (Shipping.html)

That's just been updated.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

ABW Ambassador
    HeatherB: Thanks for the post. I have been a longtime publisher for AbeBooks.com. This is mostly because they do ship from Canada.

Alan Hamilton: Thanks for the forewarning. Not a big problem though. Being from Ottawa, I am used to living in a city where our porfessional sports teams are great out of the gate and then tank in the back half!

kse: Thanks for the tip on UPS/FedEx/DHL Ground shipping. I agree whole heartedly with you sentiment of "If it's not good enough for me - it's not good enough for my customers".

Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    Hi CanadianDave

We're Canadian and ship to Canada without the cross border hassles.
    Plus we allow local pickups.

We have a US warehouse to handle our US customers as well.

Hi CanadianDave, with everyone's name being different on the forum than on the Performics info I have it's hard to know that you're already an affiliate, but now I know. Glad to hear you're already with us. Let me know if you need anything. I'm definitely here to help.
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hi CanadianDave,

All of our furniture stores now ship to Canada:
    TheFurnitureParadise|EverythingFurniture|EverythingOfficeFurniture

We also have allot of vendors right in Canada. Here's a sample item: "This item is available for Canadian customers with no additional shipping charge since the supplier is based in Canada"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    We ship to Canada via USPS International Priority. We do not have any crazy rates..........
    Eric,
    Their shipping pages does not say anything about Canadian Shipping just US. Is it possible for you to suggest at least saying something about Canadain or internation shipping option via USPS.

The page I looked at was shipping#shipping_options

As stated above most Canadian look at the shipping info page first before looking at the site for goods. If it does not talk about Canadian shipping they move on to the next site.

Thanks.....

ABW Ambassador
    Jorge - thanks. I've joined up and the links have been published.

IanBookMan - can you give me a little more info about your site?

Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    IanBookMan - can you give me a little more info about your site?
    Thanks for asking

I PM'd ya.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    We have (both) shipment from Canada as well as the U.S. for our two programs and welcome our friends to the North to join us. :-)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast