Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New CJ minimum payout starts August 28th 2008
    Just got the email, $50 for direct deposit and $100 for paper check USD and CAD.

Looks like they want to move smaller affiliates to direct deposit.
    Last edited by knight01; July 31st, 2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: left an 's' out of the title
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Just got the email, $50 for direct deposit and $100 for paper check USD and CAD.

but with affiliates already on direct deposit, what difference does it make?

I want credit for the electrons they didn't use.

,,,,i want to use the direct deposit instead of the check ,,but the direct deposit can't work on my area ,,,,so sad

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    They'd prefer if everyone who lives in a direct-deposit supported country would accept direct deposit. It's a lot more cost effective for them. They've got to cut costs somewhere.

I was hesitant about DD several years ago until I finally gave in. I'd never go back unless forced to.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    This is my response:

This is a stupid tactic to save money and alienates affiliates.

Chuck Hamrick
    OPM

ABW Ambassador
    Some of those increases seem really punitive to me.

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    This is my response:

Chuck Hamrick
    OPM
    Chuck

In my other businesses I have had direct deposit of substantial sums of cash.

I would NEVER want to go back to cashing some check in a far away land w/ a hold on it or some other crap. I never haave to worry if the check is good.

Swipe my card and keep on truckin'. In 30 days, I get a statement showing my deposits & expenses. ~ Abiult in accountant. FOR FREE. Irs has gotta love that !

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

I happen to prefer checks and this change will affect me
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

They boasted in their email how their previous threshold is far below the industry standard - and then raised the threshold. lol.

ABW Ambassador
    Far below the industry standard? Which network or other affiliate program has a higher threshold than $100?

There are some direct advertising relationships that do, but I'm not aware of any affiliate programs that do.

For those of you who don't want to be forced into direct deposit, how would you suggest that CJ cut costs that won't impact you?

If they raise their fees to merchants, the merchants could lower their commissions.

Almost seems like they are using the "administrative savings" to play the FLOAT - to earn extra $. LOTS of extra $.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

In my email they say part of the reason was to be environmentally aware!!! What a load of bull... They're just trying to reduce their costs

Rhia7 said:
    "I happen to prefer checks and this change will affect me [img]images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]"

Me: Me, too

Chuck said:
    "This is a stupid tactic to save money and alienates affiliates."
    Me: agree and

Snowman said: " For those of you who don't want to be forced into direct deposit, how would you suggest that CJ cut costs that won't impact you?"

Me said: Don't go makin nice nice with the bad guys, then have others sue you cos of it....then make a large settlement that you'll have to pay, so guess this is part of how they're gonna pay for it.

Don't know how many will want a check but if they get to hold $99 for whatever amount of time before those affiliates reach the $100 minimum.....they can make interest on that money.

*Am not implying this is their reason for doin this, I'm not a mind reader so if they say their reasons are what they stated.....I'm not for one minute sayin those aren't their reasons. Am not bein critical of their decision to do this, just stating that for any of their smaller affiliates.....donkeys may start flyin before they reach the $100 minimum in order for them to get their check. Or....maybe some of us will just die off before we reach that $100 and they won't ever have to pay us. lol

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Don't they pass that cost of check printing, admin cost to the merchant. Isn't that part of the extra that they are charging merchant for when it comes to each transaction + network fees.

I'll wait for the $100
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

All of the above, but not to mention all the small potatoes affiliates who will bring a few sales but never make the commission threshold. Upping from $25 will dramatically increase those occurrences and amounts, and CJ will eventually get to pocket all that money.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    All of the above, but not to mention all the small potatoes affiliates who will bring a few sales but never make the commission threshold. Upping from $25 will dramatically increase those occurrences and amounts, and CJ will eventually get to pocket all that money.
    Direct Deposit doesn't always make sense for the "SPA"s (small potato affs)
    Plus there are other reasons (that I will not enumerate in this thread) for preferring checks.

The "SPA"s might turn their attention to networks with a lower payment threshold; if so, CJ is not necessarily "pocketing all the money" -- they might lose affiliate attention. This move will alienate some affiliates and discourage some potential affiliates -- some people will wonder why should they enter the "affiliate world" in the first place if they consider a delayed payment structure to be a "barrier to entry."

If CJ believes that a $25 check is a hassle, instead of raising the minimum payout to $100 CJ could have compromised and set the payout rate to $50.
    I predict that Linkshare might benefit from CJ's move (LS seems to have the most liberal payout policy); certainly other networks with lower thresholds will also gain.

The move almost reminds me of when Coca-Cola "blinked" with the "New Coke."
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 3rd, 2008 at 02:12 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ok, I had to re-read the CJ email. I was thinking that they also doubled the direct deposit threshold to $50. I must have confused it with the ePN notice that came out about the same time about ACRUs paying as high as $50.

Oh, the voices the voices!

X

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I reamed CJ and Linkshare for allowing merchants a 100.00 minimum commission payment threshhold back in the 90's. Their arguments then were proven undefensable and they caved to pressure to make the "pro affiliate" standard minimum to 25.00. It stayed there with each network poo pooing their affiliate friendly payout methods to perform their #1 job as a high priced affiliate network.... recruiting and keeping legit active affiliates to merchant programs.

This was a VC corporate move made by some bean counter showing they can pocket the commissions due float interest for 6-9 months on 80% of their affiliates. Don't stand for this affiliates as it encourages CJ merchants to run programs for 8-9 months and only payout to a few affiliates ( often the BHO's, coupon cart poachers and cookie stuffers).... then close down the program stiffing all those 100% legit affiliates below the 100.00 minimum. CJ could care less unless we scream bloody murder as they pocket the merchant escrow interest also.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

So, if you were a CJ member but no longer, awards from the CJ class action suit will be paid with a check. However, if you are currently a CJ member, awards will be paid to your CJ account. In my case, I'm a CJ member but currently am not a member of any merchant program there. I joined CJ for the eBay program, which left CJ to manage themselves. Well, so happens that when I left there was a small amount left in my account that will end up being CJ's to keep unless I join another merchant there. Now, whatever class action award I receive, as small as it will be, may eventually go right back into the CJ coffers along with the current balance, [as well as thousands of others?]. What a shrewd move on CJ's part...

See CJ Settlement!

X

Sorry but i don't get what the fuss is about. Doesn't adwords pay out at $100 threshold? And what about Amazon? their payout threshold is high too.

We must all surely see, especially given the biz we are in, that DD and paperless transactions are the way of the future. If you are running a biz and aren't set up to do DD then how can you be marketing online? Am i the only one who sees some irony there?

I'm also surprised that many who have posted in this forum are making so little money with CJ!

Why are so many here against direct deposit??

I have it and have never had any problems with it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    Sorry but i don't get what the fuss is about. Doesn't adwords pay out at $100 threshold? And what about Amazon? their payout threshold is high too.

We must all surely see, especially given the biz we are in, that DD and paperless transactions are the way of the future. If you are running a biz and aren't set up to do DD then how can you be marketing online? Am i the only one who sees some irony there?

I'm also surprised that many who have posted in this forum are making so little money with CJ!
    The only reason I joined CJ was for eBay. Now that eBay has moved out, until/unless I join another merchant, there will be zero income through CJ.

That's not the point though. My point is that CJ stands to capitalize on those who make a little but don't reach the threshold and give up on AM. I'd venture to guess that they are the vast majority of CJ members, and they come and go all the time. The threshold obviously wouldn't matter to an effective affiliate marketer.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    This is my response:

Chuck Hamrick
    OPM

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Almost seems like they are using the "administrative savings" to play the FLOAT - to earn extra $. LOTS of extra $.
    Beachy, that was my first thought too, when I saw the announcement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast