No Bidding?
    Hello,

I have a quick question. When a merchant says that you cannot bid on there URL, that doesn't mean you can't direct link to their URL, or does it?

I take it to mean that you can't bid on the URL like you bid on keywords in Adwords.
    But If the merchant doesn't specifically address direct linking or using their URL as a display URL in PPC, I do direct link.

Just want to make sure I'm not going to run into problems later.

Thanks
    NickLion

http and a telephoto
    Ask the merchant. Some allow direct to merchant linking and some do not, and sometimes it isn't clear in their terms. Asking will eliminate the potential problems.

And welcome to ABW!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    NickLion, agree totally with Deb. You need to ask. Otherwise you may lose commissions later. If you ask clearly and identify what you are doing and the merchant fails to respond then you can document it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've contacted all of the merchants that I currently have ads running for who don't allow URL bidding. Those who have responded so far have given permission to direct link. Still waiting for most to respond.

Thanks
    Nick

Good question
    I think merchants should mentioned clearly in TOS.
    If they did not mentioned it, affiliates should be able to use direct link.
    Something need to be fixed if they do not allow to use direct link.
    Otherwise, it will waste time to ask for all the cases.
    I think the clear TOS is crucial to all affiliates. Merchants should show their full responsibility on this part. Speed is important for all businesses. Do you agree?

Khom

I agree completely Khom. I think some affiliate networks like Pepperjam are more clear and straight forward when it comes to direct linking policies. Other networks like CJ are not unfortunately.

I personally think that having some sort of check list with common practices like directly linking, use of display URL, PPC with Adwords and so on should exist. So the merchant can just check a box and let affiliates know in a more efficient way whether or not they allow these practices. Some merchants have Terms that are so long to read and are overly complicated and full of too much legalese, in my opinion.

I know their just protecting themselves but sometimes even after putting together these long affiliate terms they fail to be completely clear.

NickLion

Hi NickLion

Thanks for your comment. I absolutely agreed with you that CJ is so unclear in TOS and delay in updated TOS. I and my friencds have already quit CJ for a few months ago. They treat affiliate marketers unfairly. They never dig into details and very hard to deal with. I felt pity to shareholders and president of CJ. If they still have unprofessional employees to handle affiliate marketers. By the way, I like your idea "some sort of check list with common practices".

Take care,
    Khom

Maybe it's just me but this all sounds a little suspicisous.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread