ACRU structure changing on Nov. 1
    I suspect this is an effort to try and offset some of the bogus ACRUs that are being generated by black hatters..

$1 - $50 depending on quality?! I can't imagine how they are going to calculate that. It will be interesting to see what my ACRUs come in at.. I only get <5 per month so its not a major issue for me and I would hope/think that mine are good quality so I might be getting a bit of a raise.. we'll see..

its good for them but the questions is how do they measure the quality acru ? will there be transparency ? will there be a mess while migrating ? will we lose money ?

i generate 85 acru average per month.. duuno how it will affect me...

:blink:

It looks like a way to defeat bogus ACRUs and to lower overall ACRU cost for Ebay. I have over 100 ACRUs a month. Wil watch this closely.

Meh. ACRUs account for only about 16% of my total EPN revenue, so I'm not sure how this will affect me.

In theory, the quality of traffic I'm sending to eBay is very high, as I'm sending far more people that are actually buying things than new people that are registering. However, the raw number of ACRUs I send is small.

So will I be rewarded for the quality of my traffic, or penalized for the small number of ACRUs?...
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    So "blackhatters" are getting somewhat fraudulent ACRU's which are perhaps placing automated 1-time bids on low price items? I guess I could see this happening, since whenever $20+ is paid out on leads, the crooks of the world will find a way to get it dishonestly.

A low price item, however, does not necessarily imply a "low quality" new member. I buy $3 - $10 items all the time on ebay, but occasionally will buy $50+ items. No cars yet, although I could see one in the future, from a respected dealer.

I am hoping this is just not a creative way to lower ACRU's for all of us.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Sounds like a good change to me! Any time you have a system that can be gamed (and CPC and CPL are very easy to game), the merchant is forced to pay less to compensate for the gaming. With a variable rate based on quality, those who send legitimate leads should get paid more (at least in theory).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I suspect even low priced items would be considered high quality especially if the new Buyer were to win several auctions during the course of their first month on eBay. I would expect/hope a new eBayer to win a handful of auctions within their first month. That might be fools fooder but I am sure I was likely guilty of just such a thing.

i think it will not way affect any publisher who is genuinely sending traffic

My problem with this issue is there isn't any guidelines setup for what is quality is what is not. While it's not a good idea to give the crooks all the information, if the metrics are strong enough it would not matter, and to let us publishers know would be a good thing.

I believe that the quality score is going to be a very simple thing. Based upon your previous months ACRUs and whether those folks ever came back and logged in or bid on another item (or items) or not.

Though without disclosure from ebay that means ebay can do whatever they want with the pricing whenever they want. It's basically variable pricing. Just another number for us to have to monitor and watch... and wonder.

ABW Ambassador
    Horrible, nice way for them to mess with the numbers. Course if I make more than $25, then it's great

But I expect less, let's keep this thread updated to see what direction this goes in. I'm going to take a wild guess and say less than $25 a pop. They are a business and I'm sure if they could, they would want to pay out less. So not a fan of this idea.

I agree.

This is a way they can drop the ACRU pricing structure and put the burden of "quality" ACRUs on the publisher. They are definitely going to drop it a lot less than $25.00 each for ever those of us that have consistently delivered good traffic.

I think we will be lucky to get $10 each.

BTW, this is in effect immediately for all new publishers that signed up today or after today. Nov 1st is just for those of us that have been with them before that time period.

i think they goona test it out with new publishers

My problem with this issue is there isn't any guidelines setup for what is quality is what is not.
    3.2.6 How do I improve my ACRU pricing tier?

The publisher ACRU pricing tier is set according to the amount and quality of network traffic to advertiser sites generated by your company. Tiered pricing is updated monthly. Increases in quality traffic to eBay sites will be rewarded with increased payouts per ACRU.

There are a few tips for you to improve the quality of the ACRUs you drive to eBay:
    First, focus on trying to drive sales on eBay

https://www.ebaypartnernetwork.com/f...n-US/help.html

I'll rsvp comments until after their trial period for the affiliate noobs.

Obviously pepperjam was an unexpected twist (to most of us) the last time they announced something major. Who knows what will come of this new system. If it weeds out the crooks who screw up everything for everyone - bring it on!

I do have PPC concerns. For those who have been factoring in a consistent stream of ACRUs from niche PPC campaigns - come November close campaign monitoring will be necessary.

If eBay still agreed to pay an average of $25 per ACRU, but pay publishers differently based on quality, then this would be a great change.

But as it's set up now, any time eBay wants to save a bit of money, all they have to do is change the "fuzzy math" behind the ACRU calculation and there would be no way for publishers to know.

eBay already lost some accountability for their actions when they dropped the 3rd party, but now they can start skimming from the ACRU funds without anyone being able to prove they're doing so.

So I'm not feeling too confident that this change is good.

Quote Originally Posted by gkear1974
    3.2.6 How do I improve my ACRU pricing tier?

The publisher ACRU pricing tier is set according to the amount and quality of network traffic to advertiser sites generated by your company. Tiered pricing is updated monthly. Increases in quality traffic to eBay sites will be rewarded with increased payouts per ACRU.
    This makes sense. If your site is producing buyers who are already members, this is an indicator that your ACRUs are probably also produced legitimately. If you purchase ACRUs for $12 a pop from ill gotten sources but produce little or no regular sales traffic, your quality will be suspect and eBay will undoubtedly doc you for it.

A positive result will be the death of the ACRU peddler business. It won't take too many $12 payouts funded by $1 ACRUs for the peddlers to realize the business is no longer lucrative.

X

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Just another number for us to have to monitor and watch... and wonder.
    I agree.

Looks to me like they are pulling more of the same BS doublespeak spin that they generally give their sellers. IE "We're lowering listing fees!" = massive fee increase.

I'm not fluent in doublespeak so my translation could be incorrect, but I've roughly translated this announcement as follows:

"We're paying more for quality ACRUs!" = we might theoretically pay someone somewhere slightly more for their ACRUS, but it won't be you, and we won't tell you why not. Deal with it.

I am hoping that Michael Coley is correct in that this turns out to be a good change. I do agree that it seems ebay's prior policy was very susceptible to manipulation, so I don't blame ebay for making this change. On the other hand, now it seems that the pay for ACRUs is entirely arbitrary, and confusing. It looks to me like many quality, productive affiliates might be left scratching their heads and wondering where they stand.

I will be very interested to hear how this affects other affiliates. I don't really have much of a horse in this race anyway, as my strategy does not really focus on ACRUs but rather on driving sales.

I believe it isn't just to weed out the blackhatters or the lead sellers. I think it's just for ebay to be elitist to some publishers and screw the rest of us.

Those that are doing volume and have high profile sites that ebay likes will get the nice fat $50 (or close to it) payout. The rest of us will have to settle for scraps and wonder why our ACRUs aren't "quality".

I think it is a way to punish those that are questionable, but still keep them around just in case. Instead of closing accounts they will just reduce the payout.

Now with that said I have an associate that signed up with ebay on the 1st (under this new pricing program). To date he has yet to get a single ACRU from any of our tests. Today's stats haven't posted, but we will see the results.

ABW Ambassador
    So Sept. 9th is the day when we'll have some idea of what tier we're in, even for those that are already publishers. We have 3 months with the current system but looks like they'll still have that info to give us some idea when we do switch on over to the new system. So we'll all have a better idea on that day, we can all post and compare tiers. Sept. 9th, Tier Day

Perhaps all the extra processing necessary to rank ACRUs is bogging down the system...

X

Considering the reporting for Earnings has been later and later these last few days I am sure they are having issues. Though I think the missing ACRUs will never show up.

Quote Originally Posted by amysolovay

Looks to me like they are pulling more of the same BS doublespeak spin that they generally give their sellers. IE "We're lowering listing fees!" = massive fee increase.
    Maybe those who doublespeak for ebay were trained by this guy...

"FBI official John Miller said that 'what we have seen over the past few days has been a mix of improper disclosures of partial information mixed with inaccurate information and then drawn into unfounded conclusions....'

Yeah genious that's usually how it's done to confuse the general dumbed down public. Nice to see those hard tax dollars at work.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080805/...yTu4aoxX92wPIE

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread