Noticing YTD Trend - More Sales/ Less Commissions
    I spent some long overdue time checking out what's working on my main site and I'm seeing a trend of having increased transactions for 2008 by around 18% but decreasing in overall commissions by about 3%. I guess my next project is going to be looking at it on a merchant by merchant basis which brings me to a question/discussion I've asked before, but that I want to revisit esp. with the declining comm. percentages.

Do you ever drop nonperforming merchants?
    Will keeping nonperformers contribute to slowing down a site? Jaming up a database?
    Does more really mean better if nobody clicks on them?
    Does a long list of "who are they" sites really add value?
    Is the maintenance worth it when merchants fail to perform?

and lastly -

When do you go back to a merchant and say --- I'm doing good w/ your company and I want you to up the comm. percentage? (or do you ever...ask)

I always log my stats on a daily basis to see how my merchants are performing, how my site is performing, etc. I just recently dumped a merchant because even though they received a lot of clicks, the sales just weren't coming in like the other merchants. Since dropping them, my sales for the other merchants have picked up. Also, I wouldn't keep a merchant on my site if they weren't receiving any clicks at all. Now if they received a few clicks, then it would all depend on how well they converted.

Lastly, I usually don't approach the AM about a commission increase until AFTER I can show that I have made significant progress with them. This approach has resulted in a commission increase every time. Of course it also helps to inform them that with the commission increase, you will work even harder to send them more traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I spent some long overdue time checking out what's working on my main site and I'm seeing a trend of having increased transactions for 2008 by around 18% but decreasing in overall commissions by about 3%. I guess my next project is going to be looking at it on a merchant by merchant basis which brings me to a question/discussion I've asked before, but that I want to revisit esp. with the declining comm. percentages.

Do you ever drop nonperforming merchants?
    Will keeping nonperformers contribute to slowing down a site? Jaming up a database?
    Does more really mean better if nobody clicks on them?
    Does a long list of "who are they" sites really add value?
    Is the maintenance worth it when merchants fail to perform?

and lastly -

When do you go back to a merchant and say --- I'm doing good w/ your company and I want you to up the comm. percentage? (or do you ever...ask)

yes i drop non performing merchants..

As dont think for a minute they wont do the same to you

I had one merchant that gave excellent support but commission and sales were crap I was sending tons of traffic to them but non of it was converting

Finally I had to tell them that I had to move on, as I have to go where the $$$ is

They understood

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread