Credit Card Fraud - Found on 2 Networks
    I had an Affiliate that I kicked out of SAS due to credit card fraud. On SAS he had several sales - over $400 each. Our average order value is $40. I emailed the Affiliate asking for an explation. I did not hear from him so I voided the transactions and removed him from the SAS program.

This isn't overly unusual; I get a few trying this on occasion and so I normally wouldn't out him here.

However, I just found him doing the same thing on one of our CJ programs. Over $4000 in sales with 9 orders.

His site as listed in the networks:

http://www.affiliatesdirectoryplanet.com

However, all the sales I voided in SAS came from:

http://www.affiliatesdirectory.page.tl

Does anyone know how these credit card fraud Affiliates operate? Is there way to catch them on the front end somehow? This is my number one affiliate fraud issue.

Thanks.
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

Make that 3 Programs now - just found his fraudulent orders on another program - all orders over $400.
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144

is the affiliate doing it to jack up sales or is it an id theft issue? how are you identifying that they are fraud?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Is there way to catch them on the front end somehow?
    Paula, I think one way to combat this begins at the network application stage. This is exactly why we have a human authenticate ownership of every application that hits our pending queue at the network level.

When we were brand new we in fact saw a near 40% application fraud rate. ie, people applying to the network with high-value sites that did not belong to them. You would see a PR 6 legacy site on the app, with the applicants email listed as a Hotmail address. One of many red flags..

We wondered (and still do) what the motives were for trying to gain illegitimate access to a network.. and as far as we could figure many were likely trying to get in than exploit a direct deposit system. For example, set up links, click though their own links and buy with stolen credit cards.. than collect a pay check from the network based on their bank details configured for DD.

The application fraud rate has slowed to a trickle in the last couple of years, which leads me to believe there are a handful of people trying to do this across many platforms. And they've all tried and been denied here!

Thanks for the heads up on your offender. It always helps to know who to watch for and deny without hesitation if they come knockin'

Gary M

Joe,

I think it's a case of both: ID theft and trying to jack up orders. The Affiliate is using the (what we think is) stolen credit card to place high value orders with their Affiliate link.

We identify them as fraudulent if: 1) the order values are very high (usually over $300); 2) the Affiliate has no other "normal" sales history with us and 3) they do not respond to our emails requesting some information on the high order values

Thank you Gary for the reply as well. You are right; the way to combat this obviously, is at the Affiliate application stage.
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144

do you require the cvv number? are you authenticating credit card and doing an IDV check and all that good stuff?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread