Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CJ Settlement!
    I Just noticed this:

Subject: Settlement Recovery Center v. ValueClick settlement

Important Legal Notice Regarding Commission Junction’s Affiliate Network

If you joined or were a member of the affiliate marketing networks operated by ValueClick, Inc., Commission Junction, Inc. and/or Be Free (collectively, “Defendants”), between April 20, 2003 and the present, you may be a class member in Settlement Recovery Center et al. v. ValueClick, Inc. et al., No. 2:07-cv-02638-FMC-CTx, a lawsuit which is pending in the Central District of California. The Settlement Notice informs you of the Court's certification of a class for settlement purposes; the nature of the claims alleged; your right to participate in, or exclude yourself from, the class; a proposed settlement; and how you can claim an award of advertising credits under the settlement or object to the settlement.

The proposed settlement will resolve claims that Defendants failed to adequately monitor Commission Junction’s Network for the use by third parties of software that does not comply with Commission Junction’s (“CJ”) Publisher Code of Conduct and that is intended to steal or divert commissions from publishers on CJ’s network (“Non-compliant Software”), failed to adequately monitor or prevent third parties from engaging in the theft or “hijacking” of commissions from Advertisers and Publishers on CJ’s Network, and failed to make sufficient disclosures regarding the existence of Non-compliant Software and commission theft, resulting in losses to both advertisers and publishers on the CJ Network.

The proposed settlement will provide a monetary recovery to eligible class members. For class members that currently maintain an account on the CJ Network will receive payment through payments or credits deposited or applied to their CJ accounts; eligible class members that no longer have accounts on the Commission Junction Network will receive a check for an equal amount.
    http://www.cjsettlement.com/
    CJ steal our commissions or they just failed to protect our interests?
    [URL="tinyurl.com/p4wpj"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdWords [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="tinyurl.com/hphom"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]Commission Junction [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="http://tinyurl.com/nh6fc"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdSense[/COLOR] Community[/URL]

I have some idea what it is about but I hope we have some discussion here about it so I know what I should doing if anything...

ABW Ambassador

I have always received commission from CJ for every sale made through my sites, I won't be submitting a case.

ABW Ambassador

Part of the issue is that you may have sent traffic to a merchant and someone else made the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by 25trees
    I have always received commission from CJ for every sale made through my sites, I won't be submitting a case.
    The way I read it you have to tell them you do NOT want to be part of it, if you do not notify them then you are part of it.

Whether you join the class action or not, the implication is that this suit places more responsibility on the network to monitor infractions against and enforce adherence to it's T&Cs, as well as disclosure of the possible presence of bad acting members.
    Last edited by Ed Byerly; October 15th, 2008 at 07:49 PM.

X

Newby Apologist
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    The way I read it you have to tell them you do NOT want to be part of it, if you do not notify them then you are part of it.
    Correct. Do nothing and you'll get part of the settlement (assuming you meet the minimum payment threshold). Opt out and you preserve your right to sue CJ. The only reason you'd really want to opt out is if you were planning a separate suit against CJ making similar allegations.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    So....anyone plan on opting out?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Whether you join the class action or not, the implication is that this suit places more responsibility on the network to monitor infractions against and enforce adherence to it's TOCs, as well as disclosure of the possible presence of bad acting members.
    and it's about flipping time! I have been with CJ since 1998 and since the takeover by ValuClick there has been a number of questionable trust issues between Publisher Affiliates and CJ - dozens of documented problems they have ignored or pushed off.

Yes !!!!!!!
    Hell truly has frozen over! I'm not familiar with the plaintiffs for this action, but bless them. This is a truly astonishing attack on the parasites who steal our sales, by filing suit against the affiliate network that ultimately pays them. I've been upset about this for a number of years and have excluded some merchants from our websites, and several years ago I virtually stopped signing up Linkshare merchants for the same concerns. This really made my day.

Question will sites such as eBates, Upromise, Zango get a percentage of the Settlement??

Hey, that's an intriguing question... In fact, that's quite a paradox.

X

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I'm surprised how no one has mentioned how this is just a slap on the wrist. It's only $1 million which CJ probably made from the time I started this until the time I finish this. So if you are counting on getting a piece of the "settlement" don't count on getting too big of a piece.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I'm surprised how no one has mentioned how this is just a slap on the wrist. It's only $1 million which CJ probably made from the time I started this until the time I finish this. So if you are counting on getting a piece of the "settlement" don't count on getting too big of a piece.
    It was mentioned - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=class+action

And in another thread, somewhere can't find it how it was just a slap on the wrist.

Here's some information http://www.cjsettlement.com/

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

So in dollars and cents, this means... what? I'm getting an extra buck, even though a few times a $200 commission mysteriously vanished a week later, without a trace?

Or was that not what this was about, rather someone intercepting a click before it got to the merchant?

In which case how can anyone know how much was lost and how to apportion the commissions?

Links and more links on case
    Lots of links with bits of information. What I’m getting is I shouldn’t do business with CJ until they change this business practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affiliate_marketing

http://newsblaze.com/story/200709110.../topstory.html

http://affiliatefairplay.com/newsblo...dvertisers-do/

http://blog.affiliatetip.com/archive...nd-valueclick/

http://nyaffiliatevoice.com/

http://www.lycos.com/info/class-acti...s--courts.html

vaughns-1-pagers.com/internet/internet-ad-networks.htm

http://www.revenews.com/davidlewis/c...cj-and-befree/

forum.affiliate bot.com/1394/adware-class-action-lawsuit-vs-cj/

http://www.cjclassaction.com/ was down when I was searching
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; August 3rd, 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Removed 2 hotlinks

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    They're nowhere near as big of a company as you think. When ValueClick aquired CJ in 2003, CJ had $17.1 million in revenue in the nine previous months. That's $2 million per month. After 5 years, it may be double that (although probably not quite), but that's still less than $1 million per week in revenue. During the same time, their net profit before was about $1.7 million (or 10%), so if they've doubled in size and their profit ratio is about the same, $1 million is about THREE MONTHS of profit. That's a pretty big slap on the wrist.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Never liked CJ...then or now!

http://news.justia.com/cases/feature...v02641/387514/

Good log of what's happened (legal wise)
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

This is a pretty shrewd move on CJ's part, particularly as the CJ class action suit has reached settlement. CJ stands to get a lot of the settlement money back by increasing payout minimums. See New CJ minimum payout starts August 28th 2008

X

OH! So that's why they increased payout minimums.

Thumbs up RE: CJ Settlement
    I just received this email. I am a Paralegal and perused through some of it. I've been with CJ for about 7 years now. I had some issues with them 2 years ago. My boss and I bought several things and I went to the CJ site to get the direct links we wanted. I wasn't credited the commission due on my own purchases or my bosses! I made sure to open a new browser when I pasted the link in as well.

To this day, I haven't ever gotten it resolved. As many banners and text links as I have on my site, which is HUGE, my commissions have been next to nothing. I make WAY more off ShareaSale, AdFish, Stellar Ads and Linkshare. To me, Linkshare doesn't change so many of the links to the main pages as much as CJ does. Thus, I am constantly trying to keep everything updated. I've thought for a long time that something wasn't right, I just had no idea what it was until now.

I still have to read through the entire "Settlement" Affidavit/Proposal before I decide what to do. It's really a shame that this had to happen, but I give applause to the two parties who came forward with this suit. There are too many pirates out there and not enough people/software to police them.

Thanks,
    Lorrie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast