Affiliate Marketing
    I have been told not to post affiliate links to content rich product pages on ecommerce sites. The theory being that doing so will take potential customers away from your site. What are your thoughts or experiences?

I do have non-product pages such as Resources (links) pages and articles pages. Would it be better to post affiliate links on these pages?

I have joined CJ and Linkshare and have been approved for several advertisers, but have not added any as yet.

As you can tell, I am new to this, so lots of help is needed.

Personally, if I post a link to a site away from mine, I always code it to open in another window. This way the viewer is back on my site when s/he closes the other window.

Thanks. I thought "open in another window" meant something else. Now I know.

http and a telephoto
    Are you a merchant (selling your own goods) or an affiliate (selling other people's goods). If you are a merchant and plan to open an affiliate account where you ask affiliates to sell YOUR goods, they will not promote a site that sends the traffic they send you to sites that they don't make money at. Unless you are paying per click or lead and not per sale.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I am an ecommerce site selling my own goods. I am considering adding affiliate links to make a commission on selling others products.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by mobil43
    I am an ecommerce site selling my own goods. I am considering adding affiliate links to make a commission on selling others products.
    My suggestion is to start a second site for affiliating to other people's products. If you are selling your own products on an ecommerce site you want to keep people focused on buying your merchandise. Make that site as focused on creating a great purchase experience as you can, and make a separate site where you sell products from other merchants. If you link out from your ecommerce site it tells your shoppers you don't think you are providing what they need and they will go elsewhere instead of buying from you.
    Deborah Carney

Not every ecommerce site is the same. My business is a home based business, my ecommerce site has been online for over 8 years, I get more orders than I can fill so I added in related merchants to send some shoppers away. I am much happier when they shop at others' sites because my 'profit' is about the same and I don't have to fill the order. I do not have affiliates sending me traffic (!) so I see nothing wrong with providing additional options for shoppers. I have never had confusion over what we offer vs. other merchants, it is clearly stated that these products are not being ordered from us. It all depends on the business model.

Of course I do have other sites for totally unrelated products.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There was a session at an affiliate summit several years ago where an adult oriented manager talked about adding affiliate links to competitors. His reasoning was that sooner or later the consumer was going to purchase his subscriptions. So by referring the competition he was going to get an average $40 commission and they would come back to him eventually. Thought it was a gutsy perspective but again this was the adult industry so they have no guilt.

This sounds like a good idea. Do you know any affiliate only websites that you can give me the url's to look at?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Don't want to post that URL here, email me at chuck at hamrick.biz and I will send a link.

http and a telephoto
    2busy, right, not every ecommerce site is for affiliate traffic or for selling just your own stuff. There are many blended sites that do extremely well. However, someone that is not getting conversions that wants to expand income should look at why the site isn't converting plus before adding affiliate links determine what your business plan and goals are. If your goals are to sell your own products, you don't want the distractions of sending people elsewhere. If you are overloaded sending your traffic away and still getting paid for it is the best of all worlds
    Deborah Carney

I do not want to clutter up my ecommerce site with affiliate links.

I do have 21 informational "mini-sites" that are written to complement the products I sell on my main site and each have a subtle link to to my site. What do you think about related affiliate links on these sites?

Now, here is where you need to think, do you want just a little search traffic? Do you want to rank well for many relevant keywords? Or do you really want to rank high for popular keywords in your niche? Do you have the budget and time to way until ranking well for top traffic keywords? Do you have the budget to spend on off-page optimization?

Is not the same having top natural search position on keywords like "Diet tip and tricks to get fit in in less time" than if you get top ranking on the keyword "Diet" or "Diet Tips". Don't get me wrong you will get rank in many other long tail search phrases with good relevant content, but you need to have a strategic search marketing plan base on good market and keyword research data. If you are blogging about a niche just because you like it it's ok to follow only those three rules, but if you are looking to make money or to make a living out of blogging you need to have every piece of SEO success factors.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread