ABW Ambassador
    How many hour a day do you work at AM?
    It seems like we've had more new members than usual asking if it's possible to make money in AM and make it quickly. I thought it would be a real eye-opener to some of those to see how many hours a day it takes to do this.

I started at 7 this morning and at 7:30 tonight I'm still working. This isn't unusual for me. 12 to 14 hours day when I'm not at the bookstore is typical - with a 1 hr break for exercise somewhere in the middle. When I put in 6 or 7 hours at the bookstore, I may log another 5 or 6 on AM.

From what others have said, I think I'm typical. Am I wrong?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    why not turn this into a poll? Very few people will answer this directly.

(at least when I asked in 2007 no one wanted to say).

ABW Ambassador
    Really? Well if its too personal a question. Sorry, I didn't mean to be overly personal or intrusive.

I didn't make it a poll, because I haven't figured out how to do it.

I usually have the 'puter on at least 12 hrs a day.

Maybe only 3 or 4 is actual 'work' on my sites (often much less). 3 or 4 hrs. reading, at forums, looking for new ideas, etc. The rest is goofing off, watching TV while the computer is on, etc.

No Longer Banned!
    I generally put in 18 - 20 hours a day seven days a week. Sometimes I work 36 hours straight with only certain breaks, I have a frige in my office, so I can nibble as I work.

On the days I am called away for other things, this can very widely, though 70+% of my time is 18 - 20 hours.

I also normally sleep in shifts. taking short naps a few times per day {never at times culminating in one long bout with transcendental meditation}.

There is no set time I wake up. 1am, 3am, 5am, name it.

Today I was up at 1am, going to bed at 5am, getting up at 7:30 & going to bed at 16:30 ? I got back up after 17:30 and here I sit, going for a perhaps 30 min walk to the market for a sandwich. It's 21:40 right now.

These times are different every single day. as I go with my body clock as opposed to an alarm clock.

I work when I'm sick. I work when my hand is broken and throbbing. I work when its lightning out {I have no power protection, I get hit my server is in the grave}. I work when the heat goes out. I work when the cable out fit gets hit by fires, lightning, semi trucks, name it.

Any one that thinks you can make huge sums of money at this in a few months is absolutely correct. You just either need huge sums of money to pay the experts, need to know someone, or you better have a really good mouth on you. Adnan Kashogi comes to mind here.

If you don't have any of these three, then see the first para graph above.

95% of all affiliates make less than 150 usd / month.

Hope this helps.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

As a "newbie" who's been lurking (and learning) here almost a year, I don't care about making money quickly, I know it doesn't happen that way. But I am curious about how many hours people typically put in. Since I have a full-time job and have the normal family responsibilities, I do sometimes wonder if I can devote enough time to AM to make it work.

ABW Ambassador
    The number of hours is not important. It is what you do during those hours. 1 hour per day of working productively is far more important that 10 hours of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    The number of hours is not important. It is what you do during those hours. 1 hour per day of working productively is far more important that 10 hours of crap.
    The trick, of course, is learning from a money-making standpoint what the "productivity" is and what the "crap" is. Still trying to get that straight. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Full time + overtime

X

When you are starting out you will spend many hours trying new things seeing what works and what doesn't. It is all in a learning curve. Slowly when you learn more things and find a winning formula, it is time to work smarter. Spending hours on the computer doesn't necessarily mean you are productive 100% of the time. If you find that you are spending time doing crap, limit yourself. I find that taking breaks, exercising is necessary to stimulate the creativity and ideas. I am typically a workaholic so I usually work between 12-14 hours a day.

I'm usually on my computer at least 8 hours a day, but as far as actually being productive, and implementing new ideas and/or creating more pages for my site, I'd say between 1-2 hours a day. The rest of the time is spent reading forums, checking stats, surfing the web, etc.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's safe to say I work 8 to 10 hours a day Monday-Friday. On the weekends it depends on whether hubby and I have yard work to do or have plans to go out and have some fun. Pretty much if I don't have anything else I have to do or want to do then I'm working.

From October to December this changes a lot and I spend more time working and less time doing everything else.

I'm a newbie also. I spend most of the day on my computer 8 - 10 hours, taking breaks here and there. The dust bunnies are multiplying quickly.... I spend a lot of time researching how to's such as html and also researching for new products to add to my niche site.
    1stopshopping4moms.com
    Tired of browsing the net for what you are looking for?
    Hundreds of stores in one place with the best prices

First Few years - Full Time plus Tons of Overtime

Year three - part time.

I do AM part time so maybe 3-4 hours on the days I work. When I'm off then, I'll work like its my job. I try to accomplish something every day even if its just one thing.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    The trick, of course, is learning from a money-making standpoint what the "productivity" is and what the "crap" is. Still trying to get that straight. LOL!

Thats calls the Magic Bullet ..

No one here will tell anyone what is theirs.. they dont want the competition

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by justwright
    I do AM part time so maybe 3-4 hours on the days I work. When I'm off then, I'll work like its my job. I try to accomplish something every day even if its just one thing.
    Love your signature.

It's so true.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    As an AM/OPM I work from 8:30 to 6:00 at the office, then 2 hrs on the computer at home 4 nights a week. I do a bit of contract work at home but the rest is reading and posting here. I also read newsletters at lunch or when I am waiting for sites to load.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread