Announced 10/3

http://www.microsoft.com/security/se...s/ms03-040.asp

A number of security issues have been identified in Microsoft® Internet Explorer that could allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows®-based system and then take a variety of actions. For example, an attacker could run programs on your computer when you are viewing a Web page. This vulnerability affects all computers that have Internet Explorer installed. (You do not have to be using Internet Explorer as your Web browser to be affected by this issue.) You should help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft.

Is it my imagination, or have there been a LOT of these patches lately? Almost makes me think Windows XP was rushed to market a little too fast.

Andy

40th advisory this year, according to this article:

http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3087441

"...In its 40th advisory for this year, Microsoft confirmed the security vulnerabilities and urged IE users to install the cumulative patch that includes the functionality of all previously released patches for Internet Explorer 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0.

The most serious flaw, Microsoft explained, occurred because IE does not properly determine an object type returned from a Web server in a pop-up window. It made it possible for an attacker to run arbitrary code on a user's system.

The company also fixed a vulnerability that occurs because IE does not properly determine an object type returned from a Web server during XML data binding. This flaw could also lead to harmful code execution...."

Andy .. I totally agree on the XP released to early because of massive patch issues being released almost daily. Because of the issues, we do not use it at all.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

This isn't an XP issue, although I agree with it's unusually high vulnerabilty issues, this is for anyone using IE 5.01 and up.

Sounds like the hackers took a little while to develop some of their hacks, if it goes all the way back to 5.01.

I was happy with Windows 98, but the computer expert in the family insisted I upgrade to XP. I do like it as far as resource management goes, I find I don't have to restart as much. But I am concerned about all the security patches. Makes me wonder what else is lurking out there...

Andy

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Unfortunately its a fact of online computer life that you have to run the windows update program from time to time. You also have to run antivirus too. There is no need to ***** about it, it'll happen no matter OS you use that is popular. If you do your downloads you'll be fine.

Mike

I don't know, seems xp does have more vulnerabilities then some other versions. This was a known fact before they even came on the market. The reason I never went with it.

I have Win 98 and wasn't effected with the last big worm or virus that hit the net. I have no problems with 98 myself and really see no need to upgrade to the Vulnerabilities of XP. Waiting for the next version to come out if I can....

Having said that...it is a good idea to check in on Windows update once a week if not daily to check up on those critical ones....

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >You also have to run antivirus too. There
    >is no need to ***** about it, it'll happen
    >no matter OS you use that is popular.

It's got nothign to do with the OS's popularity.

The underlying design of Windows makes it more buggy and less secure. The corporate mentality at MS just makes it worse.

I'm just astounded SO MANY people are willing to put their entire business security on the line for such CRAPPY software.

If your car was this bad, you'd can it and get a different make.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

It has more to do with the OS's popularity then you think. Hackers and the like want to cause as many problems as they can because they get off on it.

If MS wasn't the most popular OS on the net, then the one that was the most popular would be the target of choice for the unethical and you might be singing the same tune with them. It's a cat and mouse game. Hackers thrive on it.

I do agree MS could do a better job. But they will always be a target by some of the best.

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

I like traffic lights
    >If MS wasn't the most popular OS on the net, then the one that was the most popular would be the target of choice for the unethical and you might be singing the same tune with them.

Doubtful.

The other popular OS's out there don't have so many infection vectors (BHO, email preview, etc) and their damage control is FAR more effective.

Upgrade the Trabant.

I like traffic lights
    Someone else appears to agree with me:

"You see, part of this article (much of page two) is devoted to saying "if Linux were number one, it would be the target of hackers," with the implication that it would suddenly end up with the same HackFactor as Windows.

But if you know Linux, and it is installed correctly, that just isn't so. In Linux, a user account can be completely trashed, but unless you're root, an e-mail virus will not trash your machine. Nor would your machine be able to go out and infect other Linux machines you don't even have an account on. The same is true for BSD.

I find myself having to point this out to people again and again. The technical press should know better. There is a fundamental difference in the design and implementation of the two operating systems. Yes Linux will be more of a target than it is today -- that comes with popularity -- but no, it will not be as vulnerable as Windows. Sorry if you aren't pleased by that, it's fact. "

http://www.theopenenterprise.com/content/TOEweblog

This is a hole in IE that's been widely exploited by the QHosts trojan, which looks suspiciously like it's written by one of the usual Slimeware pushers.

Looks like an infected ad at FortuneCity.com may have caused some of the outbreak according to this article. ISC have a pretty graph of the side effect of the trojan, which manifest itself as unusual traffic on port 53. Good article from Network Associates too explaining the FortuneCity connection.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread