Sitemap for blogs??
    Recently I was going through the posts on site map generation for increasing the visibility of sites for google...

What I understood is that you can generate sitemaps for sites and post it in the publi_utility folder and then.....

How do we go about this process for blogs??? Since they have no such folder???

you can always create a folder

wordpress has plug-ins for google sitemaps too.

create a folder....??? i didnt get you.... I have my blog on blogspot....I found no such feature there...what do i do?????

sorry, I deal mostly with wordpress and forget that others don't always...

found this, don't know if it will help any.

http://theos.in/hakuna-matata/adding...-blog-account/

It doesn't matter where your sitemap resides as long as Google knows where to find it. This is set in Google webmaster tools.

X

Talking Blogspot Sitemap
    I use this yourblogname.blogspot.com/atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1&max-results=100

I read about this somewhere but I forgotten where, anyway it works. You just just need to submit the sitemap thru Google Webmaster Tool.

Just add this if you have 1- 100 posts - atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1&max-results=100

If you have 101 - 200 posts - atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=101&max-results=100

Change the figure accordingly when you have more posts.

Using Google Custom Search also help to get more of posts indexed.

Hope this help

@simcat and roselia....thanks for your links...will try out both and then tell you which one worked for me....

@roselia.... i tried what you had mentioned....but after submitting the above mentioned link in the address bar...all i get is my blog without banners and links....what do i do after this???

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by javonhorvath
    @roselia.... i tried what you had mentioned....but after submitting the above mentioned link in the address bar...all i get is my blog without banners and links....what do i do after this???
    Its like that, don't worry.

After submitting, you can only wait for your blog pages to be indexed.

Normally all 95% of my pages are indexed this way. It will not happen so soon though unless you have a lot of links pointing to every pages

A sitemap won't do anything at all until your blog starts getting large. The internal linking structure in blogs makes them naturally easy to spider.

One more point to clarify things, a sitemap doesn't give the site more visibility in Google; it only resolved issues with individual pages that get buried deep within a site. It helps spiders find pages that are more than 3 clicks from the home page.

Unless your blog is larger than 100 pages, don't be concerned about a sitemap.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Talking
    Tech Evangelist is quite right there.

Anyway not to worry so much about your blogspot blogs, they are well indexed.

Submitting a sitemap gets your pages indexed sooner though. That's why we use one...

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Submitting a sitemap gets your pages indexed sooner though. That's why we use one...
    True enough if you set up a blog that immediately starts out with hundreds of pages of content or you have a blog that gows very fast. But the very structure of a blog assures that new articles get indexed as soon as a spider hits the site. Most blogs start out small and grow slowly.

Blogs typically place links to the newest articles on the home page, which get visited by spiders more often than any page in a site. Any page linked to from the home page is given a priority with the search engines. That's why I say that you do not need a sitemap unless pages are getting buried in your site.

I have several blogs. Some have sitemaps and some do not. There has never been any difference in the way that they get indexed. Most of my posts show up in the search engine indexes within a day or two.

The real secret to keeping a blog indexed is to post new articles often. The more often that spiders see changes, the more often they return. They are hungry little beasties. If you do not feed them often, they do not return often.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    Blogs typically place links to the newest articles on the home page, which get visited by spiders more often than any page in a site. Any page linked to from the home page is given a priority with the search engines. That's why I say that you do not need a sitemap unless pages are getting buried in your site.
    thanks for this info....but i would love to add this thing that i noticed regarding my blog....

i started my blog about a month back...but till yesterday it wasnt indexed...even tried the method suggested by roselia..still...it was indexed....(apologies roselia)....but when i tried the method suggested by simcat in the link he gave...my blog got indexed within 2 hours of my following the instructions on his link....(thanks simcat )

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    The real secret to keeping a blog indexed is to post new articles often. The more often that spiders see changes, the more often they return. They are hungry little beasties. If you do not feed them often, they do not return often.
    thanks for this tip again Tech....

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread