Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Definition of Affiliate Marketing [CONTEST] - $845+ in Cash & Prizes

Lightbulb Definition of Affiliate Marketing [CONTEST] - $845+ in Cash & Prizes
    This is my 11,000th post at ABW, and I have decided to devote it to a contest.

11,000 GPs ( GenoPennies ), or 110 GenoBucks will be awarded for a definition of affiliate marketing.

Post yours in this thread by Monday, 17 August, 11:59 pm EST. Please be eloquent.

Humorous definitions will also be considered.

Looking forward to your participation, folks!

Geno
    Last edited by Geno Prussakov; August 6th, 2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Deadline moved to Monday, 17 August, 11:59 pm EST

ABW Ambassador
    Years ago someone posted this here:
    "We sell stuff we don't own to people we don't know"

No Longer Banned!
    Definition Of ?: Making Money In Your Underwear....
    Geno

My Definition of Aff Marketing is essentially being an independent contractor for a given series of merchants.

The affiliate does the advertising, promotion an all the work while taking on the risks involved with no sales, total conversions, ad placement, poor sales.

The merchant takes on the legal risks, product & banner availability, payments, parasites etc.

As an independent contractor the affiliate enjoys not only more freedom, but also more responsibility for his out come. In trading off the security of a guaranteed check, he sets his own hours {great for workaholics} schedules, vacations and can smoke anywhere he damn well pleases. Even in your underwear.

Gone are the limits on your income, the total # of hours you can work, and the office drama to drag you down and stop you from reaching your fullest earning potential. Merchants no longer want to stop you from making money as they would an employee cuz they see you as an expense, but rather as a tool of sorts and they have a vested interest in you producing as many $$$$ as you can make happen. In some industries "Merchants" deliberately stop you from making money in several ways, and are flippant about it. Strange.

It is one of the last bastions of true independence.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    Adam, you stole my response! That has stuck in my head since the first time I read it years ago.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    Yep, that's the first one that came to mind for me, too. I have been using it for years - ever since the first time I heard it. I just change the pronouns from "we" to "I" and use it to tell people what it is that I do.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Jansen & James (2003) defined affiliate marketing as "a revenue sharing arrangement" where "payment is based on peformance measures" (NetLingo, p. 32). A year later Goymer (2004) called it a "process of carrying links from one website to the website of another business" (E-Business. p. 79). Dacko (2008) synonymized it with "referral marketing, many-to-many marketing, partner marketing", etc. (The Advanced Dictionary of Marketing. p. 21).

What is it for you? Is it the "hardest money you've ever made" (as missdonna puts it), or is it the freedom to w*rk the way you want to, and at the time of the day/night/week you choose?

So far, we've had several posts, but essentially only two definitions.

Thanks.

G.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Definitions of Affiliate Marketing...

1.) An ingenious concept conceived by merchants in which we achieve substantial gains in sales revenues through the use of masterful stroking, spiffs and award of minimal cash bonuses that make the affiliate feel like s/he is special?

2.) An arrangement that usually fills a void in a merchants life once his / her children have grown up and s/he still feels the need to be a care giver?

3.) An arrangement by which a merchant with high self esteem, pays others to try to downplay his/her intelligence.

4.) A partnership between the stocker of goods and the seller of goods in which one does the job that the other has chosen not to do themselves.

Actually, # 4 kinda says it all. But I thought some of you might get a kick out of 1 - 3!!! LOL
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Internet Marketing - here lie the remains of a golden youth, horribly slain by the shovel sellers of his own father.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk
    Internet Marketing - here lie the remains of a golden youth, horribly slain by the shovel sellers of his own father.
    Amen [img]images/icons/icon4.gif[/img]
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I defer. You're a fine man Alan Hamilton.

I do plan to submit an entry but I must thimk...

X

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    The art of doing a merchants marketing better than they can and profiting from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    The art of doing a merchants marketing better than they can and profiting from it.
    Now that is definitely an art (on so many levels).

G.

Exclamation Prize fund increased from $110 to $355 !!
    A few of our merchants have kindly agreed to contribute to the prize fund of this contest. So....

More prizes:

place - 110 GenoBucks + a $100 gift basket from BelenGift.com

place - Halloween costume of your choice (spend up to $75) from HalloweenMart.com

place - Gift certificate for gourmet dinners plus shipping from GourmetStation.com (a $69.98 value).

That makes a total prize fund worth $355 already!

Looking forward to more participation!! The deadline is Friday 10:30 am EST.

BTW, Haiko, thanks for cleaning the thread up, and thank you, gentlemen, for not derailing it from the main theme.

Geno

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    When I explain the concept of affiliate marketing to others, I always say the following (because defining the marketing part seems easy, it's the 'affiliate' part most don't seem to get!):

Affiliates are the smartest marketers. They choose to work with a merchant, locate the swiss cheese holes in their existing marketing plan, and plug 'em up.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Talking "Affiliate Marketing Defined"
    Definition of Affiliate Marketing
    Affiliate Marketing Defined!

Affiliate marketing is just another decent way to make a living, with the exception of not working for someone else but yourself. Affiliate marketing can also be called a job, but a job on were you work when you want, with (not for) who you want, and without any preset limit, of how much money you can make at affiliate marketing.

Affiliate Marketing is the hole in the e-comerce doughnut - Joining merchant and consumer in a full circle.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I'll go with my sig line.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

This is my first post here and my definition is stolen from the famous Travis.
    An internet affiliate marketer is someone who:
    Finds a hungry market
    Finds what they are hungry for and
    Feeds it to them.
    It also happens to be the hardest money I have ever made and the most confusing business I have ever started in. It took me over a year to start sorting out the wood for the trees and I am still learning every day.

Cheese holes, doughnut holes...

Affiliate marketing for the merchant is a client acquisition channel.

A very cost effective one.

For the affiliates, it's a far from ideal relationship.

We do it, because we can make money doing it.

The cheese wouldn't be the cheese without the holes. They're a consequence of the cheese making process.

Affiliage Marketing
    A partnership whereby affiliates are compensated for delivering Internet shoppers to Internet merchants for the purpose of enhancing sales volume.

X

@ Kim:

Great analogy, but doesn't Swiss cheese have to be with the holes? :-) If so, then plugging 'em up messes up the cheese. You know I'm just teasing you... I am sure your stress is not on the cheese part, but on the fact that there are holes in every Internet marketing plan, regardless of how advance/developed it is, and affiliate marketers (being as diverse as they are) are some of the best-equipped people to help the e-business fix them.

@ Sal:

Love the emphasis on the "with" (as opposed to the "for").

@ Haiko:

Never thought the whole is also a part of the doughnut, but, I guess, without the hole it's not a doughnut at all. Sounds like you're also saying that, by extension, no e-commerce plan/strategy is full without affiliate marketing being in it? I concur.

@ Donna:

We've had this discussion not too long ago, and there is a lot of wisdom (important, yet hard-to-perceive-by-some, wisdom) in these 7 words of your definition.

@ bredies:

Welcome to ABestWeb!

@ VampireSkunk:

Great points. Any chance you can sum them up in one sentence? Many thanks in advance.

@ Boomers:

Good and concise.

Should anyone wish to polish their definition before the contest ends, please feel free to do so in this thread.

G.

(Internet) Affiliate Marketing is a life saver for the physically challenged
    - Sunil

[SIZE=1]The impossibility of today is a hint of what shall be...[/SIZE]

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Affiliate Marketing - Lots of work with usually little return.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Affiliate Marketing is the hole in the e-comerce doughnut - Joining merchant and consumer in a full circle.
    I love food references, Haiko!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Quote Originally Posted by AM@4checks
    I love food references...
    I am surprised no one has compared it to a pie yet.

G.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast