SAS Etiquette Question
    Hey All,

We just launched our program on ShareASale, and some of the affiliates applying to carry the offer do not look so legit (some look like they are trying to scam people pretty hard). I guess, my question is: what is the best way to handle this? I do not like the idea of just rejecting someone's application without e-mailing them, but, even when I e-mail them asking to learn more, I never hear back. I do not want to spam/annoy any of our affiliates, but, at the same time, I want to make sure that we are well positioned, and that I provide them with all the support (customized creatives, etc.) they need. Any advice?

Thank you all very much in advance!

-Mike

I do not like the idea of just rejecting someone's application without e-mailing them, but, even when I e-mail them asking to learn more, I never hear back.
    You need to protect your plan but a response from you is almost required just to maintain your professional look. Not a lame one that covers every possible sin but just a note that says politely that they are not a match.

I would explain in your email that you are contacting them to make sure their application is legitimate and that you need a response from them answering specific questions you have about their application in order to allow them into the program. If they don't respond, attempt contact once more after an appropriate period of time (5-7 days?). Then, if no response, boot them.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Ask to see the exact website they will be promoting you from. Nothing wrong with that.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I would explain in your email that you are contacting them to make sure their application is legitimate and that you need a response from them answering specific questions you have about their application in order to allow them into the program. If they don't respond, attempt contact once more after an appropriate period of time (5-7 days?). Then, if no response, boot them.
    This is pretty much what I do. I'll just send a quick e-mail through the SAS interface asking them to give me some feedback on how they plan on advertising our brand. I usually only give them 2-3 days to respond. If they don't respond within that time, in most cases, they probably won't respond at all.

IF by chance they respond after you've declined them, you can easily go to your "declined" affiliates and accept them.

~Renee

Thanks guys, good stuff! I know it's easy to rub affiliates the wrong way, and I certainly do not want to do that. What kinds of questions would you say are okay to ask an affiliate to establish legitimacy?

Sorry, Renee looks like we posted at the same time! That sounds good, not too in your face, but letting them know you are interested in what they will be doing.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I decline questionable applications, applications with email addresses that don't match the domain or WhoIs. My auto reply templates state several reasons why they may have been declined. It also offers to give then a second consideration if they request it. The majority don't respond but I give special attention to those who do. Unless they are evasive in their replies I generally approve then and thank them. It has resulted in some good relationships.

My experience is that good affiliates reply to any reasonable email queries.

It goes both ways. Many merchants won't reply to email queries about their programs. Generally speaking, those programs are to be avoided and will disappear from the network in question in a few months anyhow.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Trust your instincts. Believe me, as you receive more and more applications, it's going to be very hard to investigate everyone thoroughly. Don't be afraid to ask questions and expect legitimate answers. I have found that the scammers won't take the time to answer questions and the honest ones you may reject will respond and ask for feedback or reasons for rejection.
    And know that patterns will start to emerge that will help identify those affiliate applications that are worth rejecting from the get go.

Good to hear. Yeah, I have already had some publishers we shut down elsewhere apply to run our program- awkward! I guess, though, that's part of the game.

The tips are great, and they validate a lot of my initial thoughts- thank you all very much!

I would just like to add that the three or four good affiliates you pick up will outweigh all the bad ones. Building a relationship is key to long term success for the merchant.

Good luck
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread