Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Made the Change From Cable TV to Satellite TV
    I ordered satellite TV through Dish Network online yesterday. I have had Time Warner cable ever since they offered cable TV, but decided to give satellite a try. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

does Dish include internet?

They do have internet, but I opted to stick with Time Warner RoadRunner because I work from home and my internet connectivity is crucial.

Be sure to keep us posted with your likes and dislikes...

I've been kicking around the idea myself... I currently use Bright House cable and can't get enough HD channels. I think they currently have 30-40 HD channels but I need more!!!

Dish Network is currently running around 100.. right?
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Quote Originally Posted by jason@footballfanatics
    Dish Network is currently running around 100.. right?
    Yes, I think it's 100 now and 150 by end of year.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Dish is great in good weather : )

We live a little out of the city limits and do not have cable as an option so we really don't have a choice. But Dish offers good deals and excellent reception.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    I switched last year from Direct TV to TWC cable because I was unhappy with sattelite. The main reason was because where my house sits, I'm sort of in a valley. So whenever it clouded over heavily or it rained I would lose signal. =[

Hopefully you won't have that problem. I'm in Ohio so our weather changes every 15 minutes and of course it would happen during Deadliest Catch or something! LOL

Keep us posted on how you like it! =]
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

You going with an HD package Seymour? I've been considering taking the plunge, I can't watch fuzzy tv (SD) anymore.

The new TurboHD has piqued my interest. I wonder what the compression is like.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

I had a dish when I was living in Florida and it was horrible... during the rainy season, which is the majority of the year really, it would rain every single day for a few hours. During that time, no satellite
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    I had a dish when I was living in Florida and it was horrible... during the rainy season, which is the majority of the year really, it would rain every single day for a few hours. During that time, no satellite
    That was my concern being that I am in Florida...
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

I made the switch awhile back to satellite, and as long as it's not really cloudy, raining hard, or trees in your way, you will get a very clear picture. When I moved into my house in Jan. I called Direct TV and had them come out and install the satellite. All worked great until the trees started to bloom and the leaves started to block my satellite's view in order to receive a signal. I had to call them back out and they moved it to the other side of the house. Now it's working perfect...unless I get some bad weather (which is usually the time I want to watch TV the most).

They say you get what you pay for, cable TV is more expensive, and after having both, I know why. Although I'm happy enough with my satellite that I won't switch back to cable anytime soon.

Like many others in this thread, we've found weather and trees the biggest problem with our dishnetwork satellite TV. Had a very frustrating few weeks when an ice storm broke apart a neighbor's tree and he was unable to afford getting it fully trimmed and fixed -- the overhanging branches were directly in our satellite line of sight.

Also, it can be extremely frustrating here in thunderstorm/tornado land that we ALWAYS lose satellite TV reception when the storms are at their worst. Just learn to switch to radio for weather updates.

Having said all that, dishnetwork still offers some great packages at prices FAR below our local cable provider. Ugh!
    Generate more fake news.

We have dish network. Our cable company sucks here.

The only time we lose signal is during heavy heavy rainstorms. Cloudy days don't affect it (for us) and the dish is mounted that even if it snows heavily I can clean it off and pick right back up.

The picture is a thousand times better than our cable company. None of that often digitizing that happens with the local cable.

I love the HD and DVR boxes as well. We had TiVo, but replaced it with a dual channel DVR and was just as happen with it than our TiVo. The TiVo was getting slower and slower since it was an older unit and every new update to the software kept making our box go slower. I am sure a new TiVo would have sped things back up, but the DVR with Dish were free with the service.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I have dish, and the weather interference sucks. The only times you want to check local channels for immediate weather forecasts, you can't get reception.

Other than that, it's fine.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Yep... you can imagine what it was like in late 2004 when I had Dish and the hurricanes kept coming through. The times when we needed updates the most were the times we couldn't get them (via the TV anyway - thankfully the internet was still available). But that's just it, we didn't want written stories or old, choppy video - we wanted up to the minute coverage on TV. It was after that hurricane season that we swore off satellite - at least in areas where weather could be an issue.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I have direct tv only because of the NFL package. It goes out a lot with the weather. It usually goes out 10 minutes before a storm so it serves as a reminder to close the windows.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

We've had Dish Network for almost 9 years, the only time we have an issue is when it starts or is about to start raining - which, ironically, it's about to do and yes, we just lost the signal as I was typing this. How's that for timing! I have found, however, that after the first few minutes of rain the signal usually comes back, unless the rain is really heavy.

One side benefit of satellite is that if you have a camper with a dish mounted on top, you can just take the receiver out of your house when you head down the road, no need to buy another receiver just for the camper. Then you get all of your normal channels when you're traveling, including your local stations (if they're included in your plan), so you can keep up on the news back home. Of course, if you're on vacation, that might be a disadvantage!

We just lost signal too, but there is no bad weather. I think it was a sat issue.

Ah, okay, our signal is back too now. We've got rain heading our way so I just assumed that was it.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    When bad weather rolls in, how do your local broadcast OTA HD channels come in? Probably just great.

You can get a cheap HD OTA antenna and it'll plug right into your satellite box. People who live in metro areas tell me they do this when weather's a problem. While it's not an ideal solution, it's a decent alternative and the cost is only ~$20.

Most metro areas have a decent amount of free local broadcast HD, find yours by entering your address here:
    http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Signal strength at the antenna is very small, and it usually doesn't get amplified until it goes into the satellite box inside your home - keep the cable's distance as short as possible to prevent signal erosion and to minimize electrical noise that cable picks up. The connections along that path, are very critical to avoiding signal issues. In fact, if the installer can avoid extra connections, you'll be much better off.

You can get a signal amplifier that goes down at the antenna end of things, but this isn't ideal either, as the noise gets amplified too. If the antenna location necessitates a greater dish-to-box distance, give it some thought though.

You might try something like this, located as close to the antenna as possible:
    http://www.smarthome.com/7748.html
    http://www.hometech.com/video/dssacc.html
    I haven't tried this, just saying for the price, it's likely worth a shot.

Lots of people with these issues frequent the AVSForums, might find answers there too, and talk to people that live near you and seee what they've done to optimize things:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=453241

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread