New Merchant with Questions!
    Hi all. This is my first post (so be kind!) but I've really enjoyed reading the boards and I've definitely learned a ton. I do have some basic newbie merchant questions that I'd love your insight into!

1.) We are a medical equipment retailer that previously saw 65% of sales from PPC. That ratio has changed to about 45%--which is great for our budget but bad for driving growth (which is our focus right now). We are hoping that by focusing more on affiliate sales, we can gain back some of the growth, but are faltering in whether we need to focus on helping our current affiliates (using LS) drive more sales or we need to expand the number of affiliates that we have. Thoughts?

2.) Is there a time-proven "secret recipe" for attracting good affliliates that will really work to drive traffic for us? For example, do we need to develop a ton of creative, offer higher comissions, create exciting bonuses, or all of the above?

3.) I am all for bringing in some outside management/help to get our program up to where it needs to be but am really unsure as to what we should look for or how to ensure we get someone good. Any advice (or links to other threads that discuss this) would be wonderful.

Thank you for any help in getting us moving in the right direction!

Welcome aboard JWMerchant,

Quote Originally Posted by JWMerchant
    ..........whether we need to focus on helping our current affiliates (using LS) drive more sales or we need to expand the number of affiliates that we have. Thoughts?
    There's no reason that these options need to be mutually exclusive. Start communicating with your current affiliates and find out what they need to become more successful with your program. Use that info to strengthen your program and then start a recruiting drive to add new affiliates to the ranks. ABW is probably the best place to find quality affiliates.

2.) Is there a time-proven "secret recipe" for attracting good affliliates that will really work to drive traffic for us? For example, do we need to develop a ton of creative, offer higher comissions, create exciting bonuses, or all of the above?
    Funny you asked. The Merchant Best Practices Forum is a great to start. Pay special attention to The Consolidated List of Affiliate Friendly Policies.

3.) I am all for bringing in some outside management/help to get our program up to where it needs to be but am really unsure as to what we should look for or how to ensure we get someone good. Any advice (or links to other threads that discuss this) would be wonderful.
    You'll find some very experienced OPMs (Outsourced Program Managers) here on ABW. I'm sure that a few will contact you or respond here to see how they can help you with your program.

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

1) ...whether we need to focus on helping our current affiliates (using LS) drive more sales or we need to expand the number of affiliates that we have.
    Both.

It is really a combination of many factors, and the Consolidated List of Affiliate Friendly Policies that rematt has pointed you to is a great place to start.

3) I am all for bringing in some outside management/help to get our program up to where it needs to be but am really unsure as to what we should look for or how to ensure we get someone good. Any advice (or links to other threads that discuss this) would be wonderful.
    There is an Outsourced Program Managers section here at ABW. I myself would be happy to look into your situation.

Geno

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread