Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    How Can RoadRunner Claim 2x Faster than DSL
    I have TW cable and am pretty happy, but was looking at FastAccess DSL Xtreme from at&t.

FastAccess DSL Xtreme - 3 Mbps download / 384 Kbps upload - Maximum

I did a cable speed test on the TW site and I am currently getting....

3471 kbps or 3.4 Mbps download speed
    351 kbps upload speed

In this case, the cable connection isn't 2x faster than the DSL connection in theory. I would like to run a DSL speed test at my location to see what the real numbers are. Maybe the "Maximum" has something to do with the claim.

You'll learn pretty quickly that those numbers they advertise are largely meaningless. If you complain about it, they'll tell you those are top speeds under "optimal" conditions, which may or may not be met depending on where you're located. Then they'll tell you they're not a guarantee of anything. Pretty sweet racket the telcos have going on when you think about it.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Cable and DSL speeds vary for different reasons. Cable speeds vary based on how many other people are using it the same time you are. The more people using it, the less speed you are getting since you are "sharing" the bandwidth with everyone else in that area. Now with DSL, you don't have to worry about "sharing" the bandwidth, but it gets slower the further away you are from the main DSL box in that area. The closer you are, the faster.

Because of these reasons, you might notice an increase or decrease with cable at certain times, but with DSL the speed will remain the same.

They say that in advertising because they are basing it on the fact that DSL used to be limited to 1.5 MBps, and that is still the baseline. So using that number cable IS twice as fast.

However, our DSL is now 6 MBps and consistently faster than our 8 MBps cable connection.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    They have a "FastAccess DSL Xtreme 6.0" that claims.....

6 Mbps download speed /512 upload speed Kbps - Maximum

In our little village, the TW is AT LEAST 2x as fast as the neighbors DSL.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Emphasis on the word "Maximum"
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

http and a telephoto
    Always had good consistent speeds with cable, my daughter had DSL several times in the past, in different locations, and always had problems with speed and connectivity. So, cable wins, IMO
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

We have a business cable account and we seem to always have good speed, currently between 7-7.4 Mbps. Never had DSL so I can't compare to that but our speed and service has been so good with our cable company (Armstrong) that I don't have any need to look around.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

There are many factors that everyone is going to have a different story. Depends on the quality of your neighborhood network (cable or DSL) and many other issues. As stated cable speed can drop if your neighbors are pulling more bandwidth.

The cable in our current area (we are moving) really sucks. I mean BAD. It can drop to lower than 512kbps/800kbps. Yes, you got that right. The upload speed is FASTER than the download speed.

We have 4 DSL lines, and 1 cable internet line. Even among the different DSL lines there is a major difference. 3 are provided by ATT, and one by Earthlink.

The first DSL drops a lot and reconnects. The second line is Earthlink DSL and it USED to be (a year ago) solid as a rock. Now it goes up and down. The 3rd and 4th lines are provided by ATT as well, and they are SOLID.

Now keep in mind we rewired the box outside and bypassed inside wiring and tweaked and tweaked to even fix the issues.

Cable, unless you can't connect at all, really won't do anything to fix their issues unless you just can't connect at all.

Now in our new place we are installing 2 DSL lines at 6MBps and Cable at 8MBps/16MBps. The 16MBps is "burst" speed when downloading large files.

I will certainly be glad when we get FIOS because I have worked with it and it's more solid than any of the above.

Guess it depends where you are. I have roadrunner and I'm in Greensboro N.C.
    When I did the test my download speed was 6983kbps and my upload was 378kbps. I don't even bother paying the extra 9.95 a month for turbo which would easily blow any DSL out of the water speed-wise. If you aren't using your computer for online gaming any broadband should be OK.

Oh, and if you game, latency (ping) is also important. I have found that DSL consistency has a lower ping than cable. Our cable can have a latency of 30-42ms whereas all of our DSL lines have latencies of 15-20ms.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread