Suggestions for web hosting?
    First, thanks for this site and the veteran members for sharing.

I'm brand new (well, two weeks into it now) into researching this thing called affiliate marketing. I'm excited about what I'm reading and don't mind working hard on it to succeed (being able to quit my second job). Much of the initial reading focuses on having a website to act as a landing page to presell the product before sending the visitor to the merchant page.
    My question is (finally), how do most super affiliates deal with the hosting fees and which hosts do you recommend? I have about 70 domain names through godaddy, most of which I'll probably drop (buyers fever), but their "free hosting" is ad supported and I don't want to compete with myself.

Thanks again.

I use HostGator .com to host. I've never had any problems with them.

If you are going to build several sites it is cheaper to get a re-seller server and host all of your sites on the same server for the same price no matter how many sites you put on it.

I used to use shared hosting there and changed to a re-seller server at HostGator and saved a lot of money by doing that.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 5th, 2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Can't Spell

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    HostGator

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I second re-seller hosting with hostgator. Started using them for new sites (and moving some old ones) at the beginning of the year and everything has worked out very well. I've used their support chat for questions and they've been very helpful.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks for the responses!
    Again, I know you're talking to a noob, but I hope the questions aren't too dumb.

So, as a new affiliate marketer, I would want a website/webpage for each product that I'm promoting? Would that also apply for blogs?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rt
    So, as a new affiliate marketer, I would want a website/webpage for each product that I'm promoting? Would that also apply for blogs?
    Thanks.
    This question might be better in a new thread since it's straying away from hosting.

You don't need a page per product, I'd say you should aim for a theme per page.

Blogs can be either general or specific.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for the responses!
    Again, I know you're talking to a noob, but I hope the questions aren't too dumb.

Thanks.
    I always have a page for every product. The more pages on your site - the better your chance they will show up in Search Engine results which mean more traffic to your site.

Have navigation on every page on your site so that any section of your site can be reached from any page on your site.

Have your own Site Search Engine Box on your site also so your customers can find what they want without having to browse through your whole site to find what they want.

Seems like all of my customers use my site search form to find what they want so they can go directly to it.

On the hosting question, I'll bring up Dreamhost. I've been with them for a couple of years or so, and I've *generally* been happy with them, until a month or three ago when there was a major problem that they didn't address to my satisfaction. Since then, one of my back-burner projects has been to move my sites off Dreamhost.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    I have several accounts spread out over a couple of accounts at Webhost4life. I have set clients up on ZID. They are both perfectly fine but I hear so much about Hostgator that I may be moving soon... I did a year with Bell Canada professional hosting and it was the worst year of my life - probably not a huge problem for folks here but worth mentioning...

webhosting input
    Thanks, folks!

With the reseller hosting account with Hostgator, it says unlimited websites. Does that mean that I can also sell hosting packages to friends, family, etc. for say, $5/month?
    Can I use different domain names on one website?
    ex.- www.mywebsite.com/affilmktebooks.htm
    www.mywebsite.com/infromblogger.htm
    Is that wise to do?

To recap - a theme for every page, a page for every product (unless I have similar products that could go on the same themed page), many pages on a site with navigation to each page and a site search feature.

I'll start a new thread re blogging.

Thanks again!

Thanks, folks!

With the reseller hosting account with Hostgator, it says unlimited websites. Does that mean that I can also sell hosting packages to friends, family, etc. for say, $5/month?
    Can I use different domain names on one website?
    ex.- www.mywebsite.com/affilmktebooks.htm
    www.mywebsite.com/infromblogger.htm
    Is that wise to do?

To recap - a theme for every page, a page for every product (unless I have similar products that could go on the same themed page), many pages on a site with navigation to each page and a site search feature.

I'll start a new thread re blogging.

Thanks again!
    Yes - with the re-seller server at HostGator you can also sell hosting packages to friends, family, etc. for say, $5/month.

The example you're showing is the same domain name with /different-pages.htm on it I assume. Not a different domain.

On the re-seller server you have a control panel. In the control panel you set up the plans that you want each of the different domains on the server to be.

In other words - with their re-seller server you are the same as HostGator.

You can use it for all of your domains and let other people put their domains on your server as shared hosting and charge them for it just like HostGator does with shared hosting.

A great free Site Search Engine with no ads to install on your websites is http://www.sphider.eu/
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 6th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.

got it, burgerman!
    Thanks!

Oops! Burgerboy, not BurgerMan
    Sorry, but YOU ARE THE MAN!

Thank you.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread