New domain or new section?
    Hi, I'm thinking of adding a related section to a site that I've had for a while now.

Example: I have a photography site with tips, cameras and such. It's been mostly about equipment and technique.

Now I want to add a photo review section, where visitors can send their pictures for comments. This section could easily be its own domain, and I've seen a couple of good, relevant names available.

Is it better to grab a new domain and make the separate section its own site (albeit I can include it in the old site's navigation)? Or should I just add it into the existing domain as a section?

The pluses seem to me to be: As an added section, the first site gains more content and diversity. Alternatively, the message may be diluted, and therefore a second, focused site may be better.

And there's the question of SEO. A new site starts from scratch, but has spot-on keywords in the domain name. But maybe an added section to the old domain may gain yet higher rankings because of more related pages of content.

Which will build traffic better? Which will bring more revenue? What would you do?

Thanks!!!

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    There is no right or wrong answer. It depends.

Personally, I would probably make it a section of the current site, provided the new section would truly relate nicely to the main site. I simply think it would be a plus both for the old domain and the new section and would continue to add to the SEO "authority site" concept.

Of course, I've not done that well actually making money regularly in any significant amounts at this affiliate marketing business -- so take my advice in that context! LOL!

My "battle cry" as an affiliate marketer would realistically be, "Gee, I really thought that SHOULD have worked!"
    Generate more fake news.

Oh, I'm THERE. My sites should be raking in millions, if not thousands. Dozens isn't cutting it...

I can easily integrate it in the old site, as it is closely related. What I'm thinking is to have it on a new domain-name, but linked to from the old site as if it were a section.

Any thoughts on whether that hurts or helps?

Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    I can easily integrate it in the old site, as it is closely related. What I'm thinking is to have it on a new domain-name, but linked to from the old site as if it were a section.

Any thoughts on whether that hurts or helps?
    Decide on one or the other.

If the site is dramatically different from your current sites, then start fresh with a new domain.

If the site is similar to the others [like an extension] then just create a section on an already established domain.

Established domains often create good-will.

That's my advice -- as is. Take it or leave it
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I hear ya. I think that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks.

OK, so my sqwewy web sewvew made the choice for me. The subdomains stopped properly redirecting, the whole site wasn't opening, so I'm moving the whole kit n' kaboodle to a new domain. Not just the new section.

That's a tricky thing too, to do it with ye old 301s. I hope it's for the best.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread