Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Best Mattress, What Kind Do You Have
    Just wondering what everybody has/would recommend. I finally decided I need to get a new one, have an old Simmons Beautyrest Maxipedic. I liked it but have had it way too long so need to get a new one. I might go jump on some ones at some local stores to test them out. Looking for quenn, firm, something that doesn't cost as much as a car.

There was a thread a couple years ago that turned into suggestions about mattresses. Lots of different suggestions there. My experience has been that any cheap (but firm) mattress, topped by a 3" or 4" memory foam pad is pretty incredible.

I travel 50-75 days a year, including some stays at hotels like Westin that are known for their incredible beds. I'm always glad to get home to my own. We'll be taking a road trip to Orlando next month, spending two weeks at Disney and a week at Universal. We bought a couple cheap memory foam toppers that we'll use there.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I agree with Michael.

Few years ago we bought an outrageously expensive mattress. In no time at all the center started sagging. We had the store send a replacement and it also sagged.

They sent a factory rep out to the house. The guy said he should tell me but he would suggest we buy the firmest mattress possible and put a foam memory mattress pad on top. We bought one from Costco for about $150. That was 4 years ago or so and its still the best bed I ever sleep in.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

The last beach place we had came furnished. It had one of those expensive "pillow top" mattresses and it was incredibly comfortable. So, I can easily see, as Michael says, why adding a foam layer can help with the sleep experience.

But, hey, since when do we get to "sleep" in this business?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I've seen some at Sears up to $7,000 and some other places over $10,000. I couldn't do that. You could get a decent used car for that kind of money. The one I have now must have been only a few hundred at the time since it was around the time I and gf were out on our own for the first time and weren't making much money, broke student kind of deal. And it's lasted all that time. I was thinking something in the $500-600 range, +/- a couple of hundred, something like this I guess -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8028537&sr=1-3

Something firm, think my box spring is fine, so don't need that. Forgot about the mattress pad, good idea. My gf used to have one on our mattress and it was nice.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    As for expensive mattresses, normally I would say "umm no thank you" but my grandma had the most comfortable bed I ever slept in. Everyone loved taking a nap in her bed. I don't know who has that mattress now but I should ask my mom what kind it was because it was the best. The only thing I know is that my mom told me that she paid $3,000 for it.

We have the Select Comfort set and since we can adjust the firmness it works out really well. My wife sets her side and I can set my side. We're happy with it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I went through this a few years back. Bought a nice S, S or S (sealy, simmons and serta - top 3) for about $800. Right under top of the line in local stores.

Too soft, wasted my money. Finally decided an air bed which has adjustable firmness would be worth a shot - and it is great.

The 2 major brands were (still?) select comfort and comfortaire. I didn't like the Select Comfort sales pressure and the adjustments were 5% increments. Comfortaire was straight shooting, online sales and adjustable in 1% increments. That matters to control freaks. ;-)

I used the new box springs from the S, S or S, upgraded the top insert pad to memory foam and had it all shipped for about $800. Well worth it. Definitely check them out.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

We just (days ago) added a two inch sleepbetter by carpenter memory foam pad to a 7 year old mattress, and it's incredible.

Went to sleep at 11 Monday night, and didn't set an alarm, since I work at home.

Next thing I knew, it was 10AM Tuesday morning.

Best nights sleep, possibly, ever.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Don't get me wrong -- I like our mattress at home just fine, but recently we stayed at a nice hotel and the mattress was so extraordinarily comfy that I stripped the bed so I could get the manufacturer and model info on the mattress.

It was a Therapedic Dreamer 9000. I haven't been able to find that model online and I suspect that it's only available for purchase by hotel chains, but I bet if you contacted the company they could recommend a comparable mattress.

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    I paid $1400 for a mattress once and it was so soft it sagged in the middle. If you try to sleep on the side it would constantly try to pull you in the middle, resulting in a backache every morning.

I have always read not to purchase a mattress in a chain store.

I got a massage at the Ritz-Carlton in Denver last month. When I laid down on the massage table the first thing out of my mouth was how extremely comfortable the table was. The massage therapist said there was a Tempur-Pedic pad on the table. It was amazing!
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Dina Riccobono[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue]MarketLeverage Marketing Manager
    Twitter: MarketLeverage / MLDina[/COLOR]

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Don't get me wrong -- I like our mattress at home just fine, but recently we stayed at a nice hotel and the mattress was so extraordinarily comfy that I stripped the bed so I could get the manufacturer and model info on the mattress.
    lol, I did the same thing a couple weeks ago in Baltimore! It was a Beautyrest with a pillow top. Sounds like it's the pillow tops that are making the difference!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

We have firm Sertas throughout the house. Every family member (including the Princess) loves 'em.

G.

Memory foam is the way to go! Hubby and I have had a lot less back pain and problems since we got our Tempurpedic.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to buy a new mattress but also after the great reviews on the memory foam, am going to buy some of that as well and get it next day via Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12180554...in%3A362281011

Once I figure out which to get. Just got this one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00153B834

Seemed decent enough.
    Last edited by Trust; August 6th, 2008 at 05:15 PM.

I've had a TempurPedic for the last 3 years and I love it! This is the only bed I've slept in where I wake up in the same position I fell asleep. I used to toss, turn and roll all night (insert cheesy infomercial voiceover). It was definitely worth the investment to me. The only two downsides I've found to this bed: it sleeps warm (thank goodness for a/c in the summer) and it's a bear to move.
    [B]Jeff DeBo[/B] | Sr. Marketing Manager - Affiliate
    [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K217424]ProFlowers[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K302833]Personal Creations[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K21765]RedEnvelope[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220460]Cherry Moon Farms[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220455]Shari's Berries[/URL]

P: (858) 909-4203 | E: jdebo(at)providecommerce(dot)com

ABW Ambassador
    We have a sleepnumber mattress. (My side is like a marshmellow, hubster's side is like a rock.) and absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I'm going to buy a new mattress but also after the great reviews on the memory foam, am going to buy some of that as well ... Once I figure out which to get.
    From my experience, all memory foam is essentially the same. Whether it's the high-price Tempur-Pedic or the cheapest off-brand available, it all feels and works the same. You basically just choose a size and thickness. You can find cheap ones at Wal-Mart, or online at places like Overstock or Amazon.

My suggestion for anyone considering a new mattress is to get just a topper first, and try that on your existing mattress. If that doesn't produce an incredible sleeping experience, replace your mattress with a cheap firm one and put the topper on that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

My mattress is horse hair -- they don't make 'em like that anymore

Horsehair is considered the best mattress filler be-cause this hair retains its springiness almost indefinitely. Good horsehair mattresses are frequently handed down from generation to generation, only the ticking or outer covering of cotton cloth being renewed from time to time. Horsehair is graded in order of excellence as white (the best), extra long, medium, and short curly. In all grades it is supposed to be sterilized before being made up into mattresses.

source
    It makes me wonder if Shakespeare's "second best bed" had a horsehair mattress?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    From my experience, all memory foam is essentially the same. Whether it's the high-price Tempur-Pedic or the cheapest off-brand available, it all feels and works the same. You basically just choose a size and thickness. You can find cheap ones at Wal-Mart, or online at places like Overstock or Amazon.
    The only other memory foam difference is weight... some are "denser" than others and therefore provide more resistence... I guess you'd call it firmer.

We have a fairly firm mattress with about a 4" memory foam pad on top and the bed is super comfortable. It takes a bit to get used to leaving behind "body prints" (they go away quickly when you move, but it's weird when it first happens).

Also, as much as it seems like a sales pitch sometimes, don't forget the box spring and middle support (for larger beds) ... it can make a big difference in regards to sagging over time.

We bought a big bed years back and by the time we got the mattress and box spring on it, you practically needed a step stool to get into bed. It looked really silly in our small bedroom, so we dropped the box spring and went for support slats instead. Big mistake over time, because the mattress kind of broke down and sagged over a couple of years.

When we moved to a house with a bigger bedroom, we finally got the full box spring/mattress set (with memory foam) and a step stool for my wife to get into the bed. But it is soooooooo comfortable.

Paul

ABW Ambassador
    So got the memory foam yesterday and had a decent nights sleep. It is heavy. I have the queen size and it was something like 50 pounds give or take. Still need to get a new mattress but it's an improvement over what I have now and will try it with the new mattress as well. Have to have a few more nights sleep with it to see if I like it. You do sink in a little bit so not as easy to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    You do sink in a little bit so not as easy to turn.
    I think that's where the firmness of the mattress underneath comes into play. Although you do, always, leave your body print and sometimes can get - parden the pun - into that groove.

To clarify, by weight... I meant the density of the foam. From what I remember, it used to come in ranges from 2lbs to 5lbs (of density... something about pounds per cubic inch or the likes).

The higher the "pounds" the more expensive the padding, but also the more support you get (less sinking right into the foam). 4lbs is usually the recommended level, higher than that was for special-use (injury recovery etc.).

I don't know if it's still the case, because we did our memory foam shopping a few years ago... things might have changed.

ABW Ambassador
    "To clarify, by weight... I meant the density of the foam. From what I remember, it used to come in ranges from 2lbs to 5lbs (of density... something about pounds per cubic inch or the likes)."

Yep, I ended up getting this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00153B834

which has 4lbs of density, 2.5 inches thick.

"Although you do, always, leave your body print and sometimes can get - parden the pun - into that groove."

Yeah, I did feel that when I was trying to turn, little harder than just on a regular mattress. A little different, will give it some more time to decide how much I like it or not.

You can still order horsehair -- I guarantee that a horsehair mattress is the most comfortable you will ever sleep on

This solid horse hair/cotton mattress has no coil system at all. Very firm and dense. Will last for many many years. Only comes in ACA-Stripe ticking which is hair proof. The horse hair is the top quality ingredient of mattresses. Cotton is added for firmness and for rolled edgeing. Mattress include rolled edge due to no spring unit.

http://www.mycustombedding.com/natur...s/prod_48.html
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    You can still order horsehair -- I guarantee that a horsehair mattress is the most comfortable you will ever sleep on
    I checked out the site. With a price of over 4,000.00 for a full set let alone a queen or king I'm thinking this one isn't for me. In addition to the cost there is the little matter of dust mites and such that accumulate with years no matter how excellent the cover you use. In my opinion it is best to get a midgrade mattress that is comfortable and get a new set every 3-5 years. Of course that is just my opinion and whatever works for the individual is what they should do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast