How Can Little Buttons Drive Big Sales?
    I was reading an Inner Circle thread, and it sparked this question in my mind....

Given that web real estate is at a premium, it's imperative that a merchant have effective sales banners in a variety of sizes.

If you're a lesser known merchant, what do you all feel is the best way to encourage click throughs on a 88 x 31 button?

I realize it might vary by vertical (I mean product vertical, not a 31 x 88 button ), but if you were selling something, what would YOU put on an 88 x 31 affiliate banner?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Not much space on an 88 x 31 to say much. If your brand is known showing it is about all you can. We found too much text gets lost.

Not sure an 88 x 31 is a very good size for a call to action along with branding.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I agree. But there will be sites where that's all a merchant will get. So it's eating at my brain a little....
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    88 x 31 is such a limited space to promote anything, so the dynamics must meld together properly...

Choose the color carefully, don't make it flashy and encourage those using it for promotion to pair it up with a focused, easy to read text link.

As visitourmall said, it helps if the brand is well known. If it isn't yet, then make the logo as aesthetically nice to look at as possible.

Hope this helped.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

With so little space I would try to maximize by:

1. Optimizing positive and negative space. Meaning playing with colors that provide the most contrast e.g. black/white, red/green, blue/orange, etc. Of course would use the colors of your own logo/site but use that in the small space that provides the most appeal yet contrast so it stands out. Graphics not so much text should be given more emphasis. If you already have brand recognition that would be a plus of course, as stated by visitourmall.

2. I would use a GIF image that provides a rotating banner (or scrolling). Not too blinky to overly annoy but enough to draw some attention and ability to get your message(s) across with minimum space. It's like having multiple banners in one. This probably won't work too well though if everyone had that same amount of space and were also using blinkies but if you were the only one, it will probably draw more attention.

Depends on how the competition's 88X31 is listed in relation to yours. As various presentations would require different strategy responses.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Only a couponer site uses the 88x31 banner, which had best be the merchant's logo. The largest advertising venu in the world "Google" doesn't even validate/recognize the 88x31 banner size exists for Adwords.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"Only a couponer site uses the 88x31 banner"

Well, ya got me there ecomcity Admit, I am a coupon site...but that said, if you knew me, you wouldn't dislike me. Honest I don't do any of the bad stuff (wouldn't even know how to), don't do anything at all to try to be sneaky to trick a visitor into clicking anything. Am very ethical. Most of my affiliate managers think of me as a hybrid site cos I do have lotsa coupons but also display a fair amount of products and have lotsa content.

But, yes....for a coupon type site the 88x31 seem to be the size of choice I'm guessing cos they don't take up that much space. (least is my reason and I try to have a size that seems uniform so try to make em all that size)

Just my opinion (which uhh definitely doesn't mean much ) I do have merchants who have fit on these little fellas the name of their site, (would be a flash banner doin this) they may then have "Free Shipping", 10% Off, or something similar, and then for some, even a few kewords of their type of product or a small picture. I can't say for sure how effective they are compared to others but they get clicked.

Little off topic I guess but if you're making a site with maybe just 4 merchants banners and using text...if you didn't use an 88x31, what size do you feel is best to use?

If I am off topic, please just ignore me and continue on with the topic you were discussing.

http and a telephoto
    88x31 is just for branding and identification, not really room for a call to action. Many sites other than coupon sites use them to dress up the page and make a nice addition to a text link.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    88x31 is just for branding and identification, not really room for a call to action. Many sites other than coupon sites use them to dress up the page and make a nice addition to a text link.
    Bingo! I use additional text and a text link for the call to action. The 88x31 is usually just for dressing things up and it's great for that because it doesn't take up too much space.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Roger that. Didn't know if anyone had found anything other than branding (since I specifically mentioned lesser known merchants) to be successful with these.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Rright on Loxly, 88x31 is for branding and is used as a category banner. Our designer starts with the 468x60, has a static branding image and trademark, call to action button and 3 animated benefits. By the time they rip the 88x31 the only thing left is the brand. The 125x125 is the product banner by the way.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread