External Links are bad for Page Rank -
    I read that "External Links are bad for Page Rank" and the reasons are as follows:

The general idea is that if you have to many external links you are doing one of a few things. 1 - You are selling links (that do not have the nofollow tag) to boost the buyers search rankings. 2 - You are not that important because all you are doing is linking to the content of other websites. 3 - You are a spam site trying to make as much money from your page rank as possible.
    -----
    Does this mean that if I use PopShops and have lots of products (external links), this would apply to our site?

Jessie

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Hi Jessie,

I think your question can be applied to any aspect of affiliate marketing and not just PopShops. Stockpiling links and banners on your site can quickly turn it into a "banner/link farm". The idea is to build relevant content that converts well. Product links, done right, can do that as well as provide a link type that converts very well.

Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Upp
    I read that "External Links are bad for Page Rank" and the reasons are as follows:

The general idea is that if you have to many external links you are doing one of a few things. 1 - You are selling links (that do not have the nofollow tag) to boost the buyers search rankings. 2 - You are not that important because all you are doing is linking to the content of other websites. 3 - You are a spam site trying to make as much money from your page rank as possible.
    -----
    Does this mean that if I use PopShops and have lots of products (external links), this would apply to our site?

Jessie
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    There's also a counter argument concerning getting some "credit" for linking to certain authority sites and others as well. Generally speaking, I'd avoid the "too many" situation, but how much is too many? There's no definitive answer, but most if us recognize online billboards when we see them.

If your site is nothing but a pumped datafeed, it's unlikely to rank well for any terms. Can't blame PopShops for that, other than that they make it very efficient and aesthetic to pump as much of what you want. So my point is, there's little seo help or harm to come from the PopShops feed system - the MUCH larger determiner is what you offer that goes along with those PopShops displays. Is the non-PopShops stuff interesting, helpful, creative, targeted, compelling?

PopShops is a tool to help you easily monetize your ideas - it is those ideas that matter most. And PopShops' ease of use, lets you focus your time and energy on your idea (not manipulating the feed), which makes it a very complimentary tool for practically every webmaster or site owner to use.

Think of it like a banana split... PopShops is the good stuff, the sweet stuff that makes you money, that you pour on top of the bananas...

Your bananas have got to be high quality, or the toppings won't matter at all.

If you'd like to publicly discuss your bananas here, I welcome that. Getting to the core value of online projects is a primary, ongoing passion-filled interest of mine. That core, your banana, should be peeled and inspected. Its condition determines your success.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    A solid linking strategy is essential to good SEO on any site. Both internal and external.

Think of it like this. You have a handful of dollars. Every page you link to essentially receives a portion of those dollars. If you have too many mouths to feed there are not enough dollars left for everyone. So you need to determine the best way to split the pot.

Not sure if that's a good analogy or not.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

points well taken. thanks for all of your posts. this confirms our need to:

1) surround relevant content around our data feeds
    2) keep the product selection down, for the purpose of getting enough mouths fed
    3) select good banannas.

j

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Think of it like this. You have a handful of dollars. Every page you link to essentially receives a portion of those dollars. If you have too many mouths to feed there are not enough dollars left for everyone. So you need to determine the best way to split the pot.
    I wish I fully understood this. I assume you're talking about EXTERNAL pages when you say "every page you link to". So are you saying there is definitely such a thing as having too many merchants associated with a given site?

Thanks for any explanation you can give. Still TONS for me to learn.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    No Follow all of your affiliate links.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

no follow?
    You mean Do Follow??

yes
    Quote Originally Posted by joyaz

I wish I fully understood this. I assume you're talking about EXTERNAL pages when you say "every page you link to". So are you saying there is definitely such a thing as having too many merchants associated with a given site?

Thanks for any explanation you can give. Still TONS for me to learn.

Yes, if you have too many outgoing links such as product links that lead a user off of your site...

I'm interested in learning how to no follow all links, if that is the lesson here. I don't have the technical background to know HOW to do this, other than if it's a blog.

Each affiliate link should have rel="nofollow" added; with dynamic pages it is best to add the metatag <meta name="robots" content="index, nofollow">
    Links that reference other pages on your site or related articles do not need the nofollow tag.
    *G* sez: try to limit it to 100 links per page or less. They weigh the ratio of links to content so if there are lots of links you need lots of content. And then there's the part about the quality, relevance and originality of that content..

I'm using PHP so I'm assuming the best thing for me to do would be to check the option in Popshops under Preferences that reads "Add rel="nofollow" to all pagination links." Is that correct?

From what I've read, if I add the Meta tag NOFOLLOW to the head of my pages, then that affects ALL links on the page. I've tried to research this, but am not finding an answer. Does NOFOLLOW affect my local (internal) links the same as external links? If so, I certainly wouldn't want to use it.

Also, do I need to pop my code in again for all my shops after making this change in preferences? I changed one shop but don't see the nofollow in the links when I view source.
    Last edited by joyaz; August 8th, 2008 at 01:45 PM.

[QUOTE=joyaz]I'm using PHP so I'm assuming the best thing for me to do would be to check the option in Popshops under Preferences that reads "Add rel="nofollow" to all pagination links." Is that correct?[QUOTE]

Nice! That was TOO easy. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by joyaz
    I'm using PHP so I'm assuming the best thing for me to do would be to check the option in Popshops under Preferences that reads "Add rel="nofollow" to all pagination links." Is that correct?

From what I've read, if I add the Meta tag NOFOLLOW to the head of my pages, then that affects ALL links on the page. I've tried to research this, but am not finding an answer. Does NOFOLLOW affect my local (internal) links the same as external links? If so, I certainly wouldn't want to use it.

Also, do I need to pop my code in again for all my shops after making this change in preferences? I changed one shop but don't see the nofollow in the links when I view source.
    You don't want a nofollow meta tag. That will keep Search Engines from indexing the entire page.

At the end of the outgoing links to the merchan't site add rel="nofollow" at the end of the link.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

UPP - yes, it was too easy. I misunderstood what that checkmark in Preferences does. After looking at it again I realize that adds rel=nofollow to PAGINATION links, not PRODUCT links.

I was thinking it was going to add that to each product. I still think it's best to check that and I'm going through all my shops, one by one, and checking that option now.

oh man!
    well, it's still easier than I thought.

thanks, JOYAZ.

Joyaz and UPP - Important, I think!! Re both your posts -

I had the same misunderstanding and checked nofollow to PAGINATION links - and now finding that when a product that is on, say Page 6, gets a hit from Google, that prospect is taken to Page 1 and then has to go looking for the product he was looking for instead of being taken to Page 6 where the product is!

When I was first learning PopShops, I hadn't had that checked and a hit to a Product on a deep page was led directly to that page (and I had a pretty good sale from it BTW). Yesterday I went back and un-checked that on all my shops again and hope it's not long before Google re-indexes and takes the hit to the right page Number again when they index the sites.

If someone has a different answer to this I'd like to know if my thinking is off-base - but this is how it has been happening for me

Slightly noob question:
    Isn't that the point of the enterprise program's option of "keeping the link on the original domain" instead of showing a link to popshops.com?
    I figure this uses an .htaccess redirect. Am I right, and is this better for SEO?

Dear Noob - The enterprize version does give you the option to have yourdomainname.com in the link. I saw your other post asking if it was worthwhile to upgrade, so looked at your site - Nice Site! and I was surprised to see you don't have it although you've got a lot of popshops on it!

Hey Joyaz - then I looked at your site to see if you did put nofollow on your pagination pages already today - you did but so recently that I googled one of your products on about page 5 of one of your directories and the Google link went to the product's page - not Page 1 of that directory like mine are doing since I shot myself in the foot. Don't you want to go back and redo what you've done before G indexes again? Or is there another reason you want "nofollow" on pagination? I'm still confused about a lot of things, especially autofeed.

Thanks Karibon - Even though I still don't understand this 100% I decided to go back and UNdo what I did yesterday. Your explanation of the effect on Google makes some sense to me. From surfing and reading a bit this morning, it sounds like the nofollow on pagination is best used to prevent duplicate content across pages, as well as to negate comment spam (links) placed in blogs and forums, etc.

The good news is that I had only altered the preferences on 208 of my 322 shops so it could have been worse. The process is tedious, that's for sure!

I found that using Firefox rather than IE helped the process go quicker, changing my shop preferences one at a time. And using my back button rather than the Dashboard link at least took me back to the same place in the long list of shops.

The problem with not "nofollowing" the pagination links is that you can go and find big red WARNING!s in your GWT account for duplicate titles and descriptions on those pages because only the shop contents change, the rest of the page stays the same. It's one of those "take your pick" things.

I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to turn off pagination altogether and just keep one single page per product category of hand-picked products (maybe increase the number of products somewhat).

I guess there's good and bad to both.

When you have a sale, is there any way to tell if it originated from one of the deeper pages or not?

That sounds like a good idea .. until I think about the hits I wouldn't have had if there hadn't been those pagination pages that Google does index that do go in the SERPs. I've got a headache thinking about this thing - like pounding head against both the rock and the hardspot.

Jessie said in a thread a while back that they were going to give us more control over the Autofeed - is that still true, Jessie?

You asked if you can tell if a sale came from an inner page .. SAS shows the page a sale comes from so if it was on a page in the pagination, it will show the page number. In cPanel, Stats, the "Latest Visitors" section gives you the page pulled by a SE too...then you can click the link and see what the keyword was that brought the hit. You probably already know this - but I didn't until last month!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread