The Affiliates of New York Present the Tax Solution
    As a result of the efforts of the Affiliates of New York and all of their supporters (both known and unknown) we are proud to offer the following information.

There are two simple steps merchants and affiliates need to take to comply with the NY tax law.

There are two documents to download that include steps merchants need to take and more importantly, sample agreements.

Here is a brief summary:

Step one is to add terms to affiliate agreement. Out of state merchants need to add a contractual condition to their affiliate program terms that prohibits New York affiliates from solicitation activities.

We now have the paragraphs that need to be added to terms.

Step two is Proof of compliance. This is accomplished by requiring affiliates to submit on a yearly basis, a signed certification that they, the affiliate, have in the previous year complied with the terms of the agreement. This agreement is due on or before May 31 of every year and must be retained by the merchant.

We now have a sample agreement.

Here is the link to our version of letter outlining steps to take and all the sample agreements. Letter to merchants outlining Merchant's Two Steps to Comply with NY Internet Tax Law http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhb7zz4d_10fjfnjqdq

We are also providing the lawyers' version of letter to merchants. This detailed versions offers some background information and additional details that some CFO's, CEO's and others might prefer. Detailed Information on How to Comply with Tax Law http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df8mcjj8_2fv5dqtc3
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Congratulations to Melanie, Kevin and everyone else involved in orchestrating this solution. This just goes to show what a small determined group of individuals can accomplish.

Don't let anything else detract from your success.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Bravo!!

Thank you Mellie, Kevin, ny affiliates and all who donated!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Phenomenal job! Many merchants are completely in the dark on this. Thank you for taking the time and the initiative of putting this together.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Thanks Mel. You've been a trooper and a superstar through this whole thing, and I applaud you.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I agree with the others, great job Mel. The work you and Kevin and others have put into this has laid a solid foundation for those of us who will have to fight the fight in coming months.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thank you, it has been a great team effort.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Congrats on an awesome accomplishment!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I think this effort shows true leadership on the part of some individuals (you, especially, Melanie and Kevin) who didn't let the down days keep them down and prevailed in the end. I know there were many people who supported with time, money and encouragement and they also should know that this huge accomplishment will pave the way for every affiliate somewhere down the road.

It's been said that a true leader sees the destination and heads for it, irregardless of whether there are followers behind; a true leader cares not for what the crowd thinks - he just carries on to the end. Thank you!

Outsourced Program Manager
    Melanie,

This is great and I am definitely going to pass it along to our legal team! There is one thing that concerns me, as a merchant, if we choose to go this route and have our NY affiliates sign the document.

The networks will not provide merchants with the state the affiliate resides in. Of course I know who the NY affiliates were that were removed from our program, but I won't know if any *NEW* affiliates reside in NY... making it difficult to adhere to having signed docs on file for all NY affiliates.

-Renee

The networks MUST work out a solution for that, Renee.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Thank you, on behalf of everyone at 4Checks, for having the fortitude to see this situation through to a solution.

I am grateful to all of you beyond words.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I can't stop SMILING!!! I am so grateful to Mellie and Kevin for their persistence and vision. Now we have to get the word out to merchants who dropped NY affiliates that there is a legal solution that makes it possible for them to reinstate us.

Does anybody know where I can buy a couple of laurel wreaths?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    WTG ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

This is awesome! Thank you Mellie and Kevin for your hard work on getting to this solution.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Renee - Celebrate Express
    Melanie,

This is great and I am definitely going to pass it along to our legal team! There is one thing that concerns me, as a merchant, if we choose to go this route and have our NY affiliates sign the document.

The networks will not provide merchants with the state the affiliate resides in. Of course I know who the NY affiliates were that were removed from our program, but I won't know if any *NEW* affiliates reside in NY... making it difficult to adhere to having signed docs on file for all NY affiliates.

-Renee
    CJ already provides this information for all affiliates, both approved and pending.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    awesome
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

I attended your session at Aff Summit and found it extremely informative - thanks for all the hard work that you've put into this Melanie.

We're working with all of the merchants in our network to implement this solution asap, and will provide an update shortly.

Cheers,
    Julia
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Share Results Network
    [email=julia@shareresults.com]julia@shareresults.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]http://www.shareresults.com[/URL]

Thanks Julia, I'm glad the panel was helpful & you're welcome. Our solution was the result of a huge team effort. There were those who attended the meeting - affiliates Rhea, Packy, Herb (& Gail), Karen, Bob, Kevin & me; and OPM's/AM's Kim, Andy (& his wife Millie), Deb & Liz; all those who gave other support including financial support; Haiko who in addition to his financial support and advice created NYAffiliates forum to facilitate communication... A long list of people worked together.

And of course a huge thank you to our lawyer who risks getting a really big hug if I see him again lol.

Thank you for considering the solution and moving forward on it.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Many thanks for your hard work on this. As the newbie at Vanns.com, this is hugely helpful. I've changed our affiliate agreement as it is states on SAS, but have yet to do the second part... didn't even know about that part.

WHEW - you are making me look good (as long as I get it done) !

Thanks
    Molly
    new Affiliate Program Manager
    Vann's, Inc.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread