Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Regarding Datafeeds vs. Links & Bidding on Keywords
    Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to affiliate marketing. I run an affiliate shoe business. My niche is narrow shoes for women.

I have links to each of my affiliates on the site. I also have their keywords in the keyword sections of my site.

I "think" that my web site provider is "bidding" on keywords for me--I use Homestead searchlight.

What exactly are datafeeds? If they list every type of shoe that each vendor has, I probably don't need that, since I'm focused on women's narrows and I'm not sure that I have the computer memory to load all of that.

Can someone help me understand what I've got and what I'm doing and if I'm on the right track?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by iloveshoes
    Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to affiliate marketing. I run an affiliate shoe business. My niche is narrow shoes for women.

I have links to each of my affiliates on the site. I also have their keywords in the keyword sections of my site.
    I think you mean links to merchants or advertisers.

I "think" that my web site provider is "bidding" on keywords for me--I use Homestead searchlight.

What exactly are datafeeds? If they list every type of shoe that each vendor has, I probably don't need that, since I'm focused on women's narrows and I'm not sure that I have the computer memory to load all of that.

Can someone help me understand what I've got and what I'm doing and if I'm on the right track?

Thanks!
    data feeds, are products or coupon links etc in a file (text, xml etc) that you
    can download from affiliate networks , or data feed providers and add those
    products to your data base.

What is the size of the computer memory?

I think I have one or two gigs?

What exactly would the datafeed provide me? And, if I have 6 affiliates, could I have a datafeed for each of them?

What exactly happens? Is a datafeed like a search box, where they can put in their size, width, amount they want to spend?

Thanks.

one or two gigs is sufficient to handle a data feed

a data feed provides you either products or coupon promotions

if you have 6 merchants and if all 6 merchants provide data feeds then
    you can get those data feeds from those 6 merchants

go to http://www.goldencan.com , they provide search box data feeds if you are looking for that

I think I have one or two gigs?

What exactly would the datafeed provide me? And, if I have 6 affiliates, could I have a datafeed for each of them?

What exactly happens? Is a datafeed like a search box, where they can put in their size, width, amount they want to spend?

Thanks.
    I assume that you are an affiliate and you mean that you have products from 6 merchants on your site.

Is that right or are you a merchant.

And - do you have your site hosted at homestead or is it hosted somewhere else?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Hi,

Hi iloveshoes,

I went to Homestead searchlight website to understand your inquiry. Their service says;

1) Expert search consultants create your online ads
    2) Your ads are placed on 25+ top search engines
    3) Interested consumers click to your website
    4) Professional review session to improve your website.
    5) We track and optimize your campaign

Judging by your statement "think" you are suspicious of what they are doing.

They claim they are doing Per Pay Click (PPC) advertising for you. Their statement about 25+ top search engines raises a red flag.

After top 3-4 search engines and the outsourced paid search engines that Google Adwords supports anyways, there are only low grade poor engines with high rates of click fraud. The service PPC campaigns may also be violating your TOCs with your merchants as some merchants have very restrictive policies regarding PPC and you could lose any commissions you generate if they identify a violation

If you are going to use PPC, you should get a Google Adwords account yourself rather than let someone else do it. Then you gather keyword info, analytical data, and do test pages to try to improve your sites conversion.

Turning a profit only off PPC is hard if you are an affiliate, as the non-affiliate competition has more profit to play with in their PPC spending than you do with a meager 8% to 15% commission you will get from shoe merchants.

You need to factor in a high reversal rate for shoes due to returns.

I went to Homestead searchlight also and I think they are conning you.

I don't think that it's possible for them to do what they're telling you they do with the top search engines.

Wow. I know nothing about Homestead searchlight other than what I just glanced at on their website. As I understand their pricing and guaranteed results, the cheapest plan is $29.99 per month.

THEN the pricing/package gets confusing to me. For that $29.99 they guarantee "240 clicks" as "Annual guaranteed clicks."

What in the world does that mean? Does that mean I would spend almost $360 ($30 x 12 months) a year for only a total of 240 "clicks"??

Here's what my one, lame experience was using PPC that I did myself with my Adwords account. This was about 6 months ago:

I set up an Adwords campaign with Google. I spent $75 total over a 6-week period. I got over 280 clicks total. I made 0 sales, 0 commissions through that campaign.

BUT -- I cannot comprehend how this company would actually find people willing to pay nearly $360 for a "guaranteed" 240 clicks. And, that's just their minimum package.

Surely there's something better going on here than I understand? Maybe?
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Homestead is one of those "So, you want to build a website" places. They offer a nice WYSIWYG editor that can turn out a nice looking site even for a total newb. Problem is that they are charging an arm and a leg for a website that is virtually invisible for search engines as it is written in javascript. You have to promote it or die.

Better to go buy your own domain and pay $7-10 a month and load WP on your domain and go to work.

Uh oh, didn't realize that they were virtually invisible because it's written in javascrpt. How would I buy my own domain and then load the pages on the domain?

How would I transfer the whole thing over? I know there are domain companies that are out there that aren't expensive, like GoDaddy, but I know basically nothing about this.

How would this work? Being such a green newbie at this, I need lots of help and suggestions. I really appreciate your response.

Thanks all for your responses.

They're actually giving me 400 clicks per year.

Yup, this totally isn't working. I tried google ad words too, and paid $75 month and didn't get much traffic either. So what do you suggest I do if searchlight isn't working?

The people that viewed my site on the other thread suggested getting my own domain and getting it away from Homestead, because the site is created in javascript.

Thanks.

The merchants are Zappos.com, DesignerShoes.com, etc., etc. I'm the publisher and I guess that also means that I'm the affiliate, right? Since I affiliated with them?

Also, I have the site with Homestead.

By the way, BurgerBoy, I did go to the link you suggested and posted there to have people view the site. Thanks so much for the link. Reading all the rules, before I posted, it wasn't clear that there was such a link.

The reason I suggested WP is because it is search engine friendly and you can start building a site without knowing a lot of html. You would need to read up a little on WordPress to get started, but it is a faster startup.

Do a search in ABW about domains and about WordPress and you will get a lot of good information. To build your own site with html would take a lot longer if you don't have a background in html.

The best place to learn about all the affiliate side of the business is here on ABW, just use the search and read, read, read.

The best place to learn about the rest of managing your own site is at http://www.w3schools.com/

As you can tell, it takes some time before there are results, but if you put in the work to get there, you can do it. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    The reason I suggested WP is because it is search engine friendly and you can start building a site without knowing a lot of html. You would need to read up a little on WordPress to get started, but it is a faster startup.

Okay, this shows you how little I know about web design, when I read WP, I thought you were abbreviating web pages, LOL. So, I've got a bit of reading to do. I guess.

Do a search in ABW about domains and about WordPress and you will get a lot of good information. To build your own site with html would take a lot longer if you don't have a background in html.

The best place to learn about all the affiliate side of the business is here on ABW, just use the search and read, read, read.

The best place to learn about the rest of managing your own site is at http://www.w3schools.com/

As you can tell, it takes some time before there are results, but if you put in the work to get there, you can do it. Good Luck
    Thanks for all of the info. By the way, how would I transfer the images the designer at Homestead created for me on all of my pages to a different domain? Does that have anything to do with WP also?

If you own the images, you should have copies in folders on your computer. Upload them to your own domain along with the pages that contain them. You should learn to work with images so you can resize things when necessary.

If you're using WP go to the write tab, you'll see all the tools available in the control panel and you can add images into your posts - careful of the sizes. You will need to learn about using WP before you can expect to build it into a site but its fairly simple to use. Each page or post is a lot like the place where you enter a post on ABW.

Please understand that this is not an overnight thing, expect to spend weeks and possibly months before you see income. I wouldn't recommend uploading a copy of what you have now because as nice as it looks to a viewer, it is not an indexable page, it's empty to the search engines that you need to depend on to bring in traffic.

Your other posts indicate that you have much reading to do just to get a good handle on how things work. Everyone is happy to help out but it is your own initiative that determines how long it takes. No one here knows your own knowledge so they are bound to give you information you don't understand. That's why self help is best - you know what you know and what you need to read up on..we don't. There is a whole section at ABW on "Newbie FAQs" full of basic information. How do you find the different forums here? Click on the big ABW triangle up at the top of the page - or click on "Mark All as Read" at the top of the page - or go to nav: ABW>Forum at the top of the page and click on Forum, you will see all the different forums available, all full of information. Look around, you'll find what you need to know.

Good luck

I wouldn't recommend uploading a copy of what you have now because as nice as it looks to a viewer, it is not an indexable page, it's empty to the search engines that you need to depend on to bring in traffic.
    2busy, what exactly do you mean by "it's not an indeable page, it's empty to the serch engines that yu need to depend on to bring in traffic."

Pardon the naivete(sp?) on my part, but the site does come up on search engines. Not sure what you mean. Thanks!

When you do a search on Google for "narrow shoes" or "women's narrow shoes" what page is it on?
    Because the layout and navigation is in javascript it would appear to a searchbot as a single paragraph on a page. To rank, your pages must be spiderable. Sorry I didn't take notes when I visited, just took a quick look and saw everything in javascript which is why I suggested the WordPress site.

When you do a search on Google for "narrow shoes" or "women's narrow shoes" what page is it on?
    Because the layout and navigation is in javascript it would appear to a searchbot as a single paragraph on a page. To rank, your pages must be spiderable. Sorry I didn't take notes when I visited, just took a quick look and saw everything in javascript which is why I suggested the WordPress site.
    Thanks for clarifying--so it's the "layout and navigation" that's in javascript. Okay. Now I understand! Then what you're saying is if the layout and navigation were in html it would appear in a search bot?

When I searched myself, using "narrow shoes, women" or "women's narrow shoes," I found it on page 3 of both google and yahoo. Not great placement. I'm going to call Homestead to see if they can change the layout and navigation to html instead of javascript. I hope they can change it!

I would not ask them to do anything for you.

They are probably stealing your sales from you.

You need to not have anything else to do with them and do it all yourself.

I think you said that you were hosted at bluehost.

Go to your www. domain-name/cpanel using your website browser on your computer.

A box will come up asking you for your username and password.

Once you log in you will see a link for Fantastico in your cpanel. Click on that link.

On the new page that comes up you will see a link for Word Press. Click on that link. In the window that opens click on install Word Press. It will install it for you automatically. Just follow the instructions for whatever it tells you to do.

Look it over and learn how to use it and build your site using it at blue host.

Well - it was someone else at blue host - not you.

As long as you stay at homestead you are pretty well screwed.

You need to change host.

A good one is http://www.hostgator.com/. If you'll change host and get away from homestead a lot of better ways to work on your website will open up for you.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 9th, 2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Post is wrong.

Hosts
    BurgerBoy,

I've never heard of "hostgator."
    Are their any other better known hosts sites you can recommend?

Also, by going to anothe host don't they just transfer the whole site over? Or do I have to rebuild everything?

What about what the images my designer has already put in there, other than the picture graphics, like the background, tabs, etc. does that just transfer over too?

You know, what I don't understand, is when I check my statistics, people will find my site on the first page, on yahoo. Then I do my own search from my computer and I can't find my site listed at all. How can that be? Also, by switching to a different host, can I avoid doing the whole thing over myself in Word Press? I've invested so much time into this already, I'm not looking for more time spent on the learning curve. I just want to get it up and running and searchable. What do you suggest?

If someone searches for your site by name it will show in your stats as being on page one in any search engine. If someone searches for a specific product or phrase that is on your site you'll be on page one also. You have a good deal more time to spend on the learning curve but at least with WP you can progress while you learn. Up and running and searchable can be done on WP. On Homestead, as long as you're willing to pay exorbitant rates they will add you to their portal, but it is really limited traffic compared to ranking well on a major SE. WP lets your links hit the ground running, a js site is like having a little shop all tucked away in the basement at the mall.

You asked before about your images and it was explained to you. Hostgator is a well known host, do a search at ABW and read up on it.

You have received some good advice, you are welcome to continue asking what to do, perhaps someone else has a better suggestion. I'm finished here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast