I started looking up some of my keyword phrases in Google the last few days and I've come up with a site (on multiple occasions) who appears right beneath or above me. When I click his link, there is no page, instead it goes directly to the merchant's page. Is this cheating or is this an accepted practice?. I'm not sure how he's getting listed if the page isn't there.
    I've also stumbled on a site with my Meta Description exactly copied from a Snowmobiling site. When I click his link I'm taken to a site consisting of random affiliate links having nothing to do with snowmobiling whatsoever. I don't see my description anywhere in his code. Is this cheating? or should I look the other way?
    Thanks for any input!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Yes...many affiliates spend their waking hours devising ways to cheat the system, set cookies, capture SE listings to trick shoppers and steal referral commissions. They confuse their role in the pay-per-performance industry by thinking they deserve something for nothing.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    On the other hand Google has teams of PhDs who spend all their waking hours devising ways to fool with your page rank. It's just part of the traffic game.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, it's cheating.

Yes .. it's cheating. It is also referred to as "cloaking". Google will ban a site forever for cloaking. Send them the search term and the offending URL .. watch them disappear quickly.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

ABW Ambassador
    Watching your competition out rank you by using tricks is not a lucrative experience.
    Creative publishers can and do give Google a run for their money every day.
    Many think getting one domain banned is all part of the traffic game.

Although I don't recommend it, is it done by thousands of creative publishes across all industries every day.

<---DUCK

ABW Ambassador
    For every smart Google employee, there is an equally smart or even smarter person who tries to cheat Google. It is a fact of life that the smartest people in the world are either fighting cheats or are the cheats themselves. The rest of us are stuck in the middle

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam Ward:
    Many think getting one domain banned is all part of the traffic game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a legitimate site get penalized at Google. I wasn't too happy with it.

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

ABW Ambassador
    I seem to have copped a penalty on the front page only of my cafepress store.. I've never been able to work out why.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Actually sometimes I have seen this happen when it was NOT cheating - it's a Google glitch sometimes.

I had something happen recently that I think was similar but VERY unintentional. A very well known and respected affiliate, who would never do anything shady, joined one of my new programs. He had a site that had been sitting around generating traffic, but he was not really using it for anything. So as a quickie, until he had time to build a page, he just did a regular redirect to the merchant site. He didn't do meta tags or optimize anything at all, it was just a straight redirect - meta refresh I think.
    Suddenly his site wiped out and replaced the merchant's rankings for some of their very top KW. They freaked!

We still can't figure out what happened. He removed the redirect, but I haven't heard if the merchants rankings showed up again where they were before.

I also saw this happen a year ago, where a BizRate affiliate listing completely wiped out and replaced the merchants site for their own #1 very unique KW domain listing. www.uniquegreenwidgets.com had always had the #1 ranking for their own domain name. Suddenly the merchant site was totally deleted from Google and BizRate's affiliate link for uniquegreenwidgets.com was in it's place.

I'm not saying that the site you are dealing with is not trying to pull something on purpose, I'm just saying that in these cases it seemed to be some type of Google issue which is well known and has been discussed a lot over at WMW.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    <FONT size="1">4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!
    </font>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    A major part of smart SEO/SEM is to do just this...."Send Google the search term and the offending URL .. watch them disappear quickly."

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll have to think about it more. I don't want to screw anyone over but it just didn't seem right.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread