Almost Amazing Stats ...
    Except for one thing. Can you guess the one thing?

Laser targetted PPC traffic to my auto parts page generated 254 clicks and
    cost me $30.

74 of those visitors then clicked over to Auto Anything from one of three
    different Auto Anything banners featuring different products arranged in a row near the top of my page. Also there were a about a dozen other clicks to other merchants for a total CTR approaching 50%. Not bad at all or is it?

Well, these stats say that either those Auto Anything banners are killer banners that really promote clicks or its the way I have them arranged.
    I don't know which, but we are talking 30% click thru rate to Auto Anything by people who are searching for various auto parts and products.

30% CTR on a banner or series of banners to one merchant is a totally awesome CTR.

Now Auto Anything has a 3 month CPC on CJ of $39, which is one of the highest in the auto parts niche. So in 26 more clicks, if the traffic is average
    we should see $39 in commissions pop up in the old CJ tally meter.

Now the average cost of the total clicks is $.12 each so far. 26 more clicks would run my cost up to $34 plus or minus a dollar. So if the 30 day CPC is in the ball park, we should make a $4 or $5 profit.

At least that's how the stats read ... but guess what so far we have ZERO CONVERSIONS ... nada, zip, goose egg to Auto Anything.

Auto Anything & Houston: We have a problem. Either the universe of traffic is too small to make an accurate judgement or Auto Anything cannot convert at a 1.35% rate with super targetted traffic?

Senario #1: It's the traffic quality. Maybe. But it ALL comes from a big 3 PPC engine. And how much am I suppose to spend to determine if it is the traffic quality? The universe is a big place. My bank account is limited.

Senario #2: Auto Anything CANNOT convert targetted traffic. Maybe. Failure to make even ONE sale in 74 laser targetted clicks is NOT GOOD in any universe. However, we don't REALLY know if a sale or two were actually made but were poached by ebates or were redirected to CJ employees acting as affiliates and a host of other similar issues, because WE CAN NEVER get conversion figures on any CJ merchant.

Now the excuses should be flying soon enough: Too few click thrus to generate sales, traffic quality is weak, not our fault people didn't buy, yada,
    yada, yada. I have heard them all before.

But the bottom line is this: If I spend $50 on targetted PPC traffic and a merchant cannot put up ONE sale, it's time to move on to another one. The
    merchant can pay out his own $50 if he wants to attract the same targetted traffic I just sent.

Okay, now suppose we test 10 merchants at $50 each. $500 goes into the Google, Yahoo or MSN coffers and we find ONE MERCHANT who converts out of 10. Eureka, you have found the motherlode. If you find TWO MERCHANTS,
    you can really make money. Find FIVE and you are almost in Nirvana.

Take the Auto Anything deal as an example: Their 30 day CPC is $39. So if they converted at that rate of ONE SALE per 100 clicks, we'd send them 100 clicks per day and pocket $39 on average for $12 cost of the 100 clicks and book an $810 profit for the month. OR SO THE STATS SAY.

Nirvana is ONE sale per 100 click thrus per day from 5 merchants. Then all you have to do is crank up the traffic - which is easy enough to do. Just raise you bids by a penny or two.

The hard part is finding the QUALITY MERCHANTS who CONVERT and have integrity. Conversion is everything. All the rest is just a work around.

ABW Ambassador
    Your stats show that you're doing it wrong, nothing more.

74 clicks is not enough traffic to judge anything.

Those 74 clicks are on banners. Your post reads like it's more a banner farm type of page. Banners are not the best for conversions.

You call it "Laser targetted PPC traffic" but your landing page has - "three
    different Auto Anything banners featuring different products" Laser targetted is not 3 different products and on banners on top of that.

I agree with Trust, not enough clicks yet. Statistically, your "sample size" is too small... a variation of one or two sales could make a HUGE difference to the over results.

I'd also check the banners you mentioned to make sure that the links TO Auto Anything are as targetted as the clicks coming to you. You've probably done that already, but it's worth seeing what keywords are coming in and how close to the product they are searching for you've forwarded them over.

So Almight Wizard Trust ...
    Elucidate How I Am Doing It Wrong. Inquiring MInds Want To Know.

The banners I am using have a 3 month EPC of $146.66, $99.78 & $18.10 repectively. The last being a 30% off discount on a $495 spend.

And how is a coupon site any different than a banner farm ... it's just a list of available stuff. But for Trust, if he didn't invent, it's not done right.

Just in case you all think I do not know squat. I have made over $193,000 so far this year and about $100,000 is pure profit. And I don't think I have spent
    more than $3,000 on Google for advertising and ZIP on Yahoo. But I buy a ton of low cost CPM and post only proven converting offers there.

When Trust can show us all how he makes more than Carlos Garcia, then I might attention. I doubt he has made more than $5 MILLION in one month which is the top monthly revenue for Carlos.

ABW Ambassador
    "Elucidate How I Am Doing It Wrong. Inquiring MInds Want To Know."

Just did above. You've been doing this for awhile. Your post is something I would expect somebody new starting ala What am I doing wrong, I sent 20 clicks and no sales. Those type of posts. That is usually followed by good advice with people telling them it's not enough traffic. And that is the truth. It's 74 clicks. So what you're doing wrong is judging something when you don't have the numbers yet to do so.

Also what you call "laser targetting" Bidding on George Foreman grills and sending them to a page with George Foreman grills is good targetting. Some people even take it a step further and bid on George Foreman grills + model number. I don't do that but some do. Maybe call that super duper laser targetting. But bidding on George Foreman grills and sending them to a page with George Foreman grills, Sunbeam grills, GE grills is not laser targetting. Maybe try a product a page. We might have different definitions of laser targetting.

"And how is a coupon site any different than a banner farm "

Are you serious? lol. Banner farms are the worst kind of site. Coupon sites save people money and are even more popular now with the current economy. Let me ask you. Did you post up some AutoAnything coupons along with the banners? I'm guessing no. Why not? It'll increase conversions and those 74 clicks might go off looking for them since you didn't provide them.

"And I don't think I have spent more than $3,000 on Google for advertising and ZIP on Yahoo."

So you're basically saying you're not experienced to give advice on PPC with those kind of numbers, yet you're doing exactly that.

Judging a merchant on 74 banner clicks is just ridiculous. You think it's some amazing stat. So I guess we disagree on that one.
    Last edited by Trust; August 9th, 2008 at 11:58 PM.

I'm curious what's being promoted here .. is it Carlos Garcia..?

Published merchant EPC include stats like mine which consist of VERY good conversion for natural serp. I drive traffic to merchants using a variety of mechanisms/sites, and know which convert best for me. And sometimes I use (seemingly) non-performing merchants to round out my site. It's a business strategy related to content.

I have no interest in PPC, and have no comment on these results (right, wrong, or otherwise), but it seems you're the one thinking that if you invented it, it must be right...

Aside from the FACT that there is not enough history to substantiate the hypothesis, seems to me that Druid is putting too much confidence in EPC. EPC can be affected by indeterminate variables including parasitically induced conversions...
    Last edited by Boomers; August 9th, 2008 at 06:51 PM.

X

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Unless you know which sites/pages were responsible for pushing an EPC of $39 through the banners that particular metric only tells you so much. Clearly what you're doing, and what the people making money through the banners are doing is not the same...
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Clearly ... Not
    Nothing is clear ... obviously the $39 - now $37 stat is an average for all traffic ... and since most traffic is just dreck, the sales are surely coming from some specific places ... maybe ebates, maybe cookie stealers, who knows?

As for the stock in EPC .. it's usually a pretty worthless number ... however,
    all sorts of AM are quick to point out the good numbers to get you to join their programs and waste your money.

Then tell you after the fact, it's not a good metric. Some merchants are making money off of some PPC ads. Zappos is not paying 4 full time people to do PPC for no reason. But in general if you don't have the money to pay up and often, the returns are not worth your time.

SERP is a better way to go if you can get the top 10 listing on even ONE high traffic search page.

Still all it takes is ONE good converting merchant you are likely to make a decent profit. Finding that needle in the haystack is what it's all about.

Too much BS (from me too) to little dealing in hard core dollars and cents.

Sounds like the guy selling £5 for £4 just to get people to his shop
    Made the news but not real business
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Druid,

My name is Jeff DeBo and I am the Affiliate Manager at AutoAnything. I apologize for the delayed response to your post. Please contact me directly so that I may address your concerns and we can talk about the program and how to improve conversion. jdebo (at) autoanything or 858.569.8111 x163.

In regards to parasitic affiliates, AutoAnything has been parasite-free since February of this year. AutoAnything is not affiliated with eBates, UPromise, MyPoints, CouponMountain or any of the other programs listed in the ParasiteWare forum. Additionally, we continually monitor our program and utilize the ABW community and services including Affiliate Fair Play to ensure that we remain parasite-free.

-Jeff
    [B]Jeff DeBo[/B] | Sr. Marketing Manager - Affiliate
    [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K217424]ProFlowers[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K302833]Personal Creations[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K21765]RedEnvelope[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220460]Cherry Moon Farms[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220455]Shari's Berries[/URL]

P: (858) 909-4203 | E: jdebo(at)providecommerce(dot)com

I am a newbie so redirectly me if I am not in the right place. I have over 700 clicks via keyword search at the E-Z Rent-A-Car site over the last week with no sales. Is that a large enough sample to tell you anything? Should I be moving on to another merchant?

700 clicks and no sales is sending a big message. Conversions are less than 0.7% either poor ad format or poor niche
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread