Hi All,

I don't have a clue to what some of the best electronics are around. I'm going to be buying a Laptop, Digital Camera and probably a new Computer pretty soon. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brands and models to check out. Any tips or feedback from what you all use? I'm thinking of going with Dell for the computer. Although right now I have a HP with which I am pretty happy with. Any suggestions. The price ranges will probably be about;

Computer - 1000.00
    Laptop - 1000.00 - 1500.00
    Digital Camera - 300.00 - 400.00

Thanks for any feedback you can give

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    Whatever computer you choose, get a LCD screen. Amazing. I went to Dell for my computer, but paid more than the $1,000 that you want to pay. I paid $1,400, and it is a wonderful computer. Could you pay more than $1,000? A bit more would get you a much better computer

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Packy,

For the Computer and Laptop I'd reccommend ... http://www.stores.ebay.com/ibmauthor...ml?col=4&dir=1 They are brand new and you can really get a whamo of a deal, I've bought two notebooks already.

For the Camera, this is mine and I love it ... http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=1&product=912

Make sure to also buy NiMH rechargeable batteries if your going to be actively taking photos and viewing them (see http://zbattery.com/zbattery/mhc401fs4aa200.html )

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    For digital cameras i got a Canon PowerShot A40 for around $250. Canons are very good, before i bought my first digital camera i was checking out some camera forums, was mentioned a lot in the fatwallet forums and reading reviews in Consumer Reports. Canon is great. You can do a search for Canons or Canons PowerShot and will see nothing but good things.

For computers theres so much out there, hard to choose. But i'm very Happy with the Emachines i have, never had a problem. With Dell i know a few members have had some problems, something about a proprietary power source or something. I would read Consumer Reports, i always go there before i make a major purchase or electronics purchase.

ABW Ambassador
    I have a Canon PowerShot S30 digital camera, and love it. Canon makes great cameras, period.

As for laptops, IBM rules the roost, and Dell comes in a close second. I bought a Dell, and love it.

Michael

Thanks for the feedback all! I've been checking the suggestions out and still don't know what the hell to get

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I paid $1,400, and it is a wonderful computer. Could you pay more than $1,000? A bit more would get you a much better computer
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CJShop,

What is the setup that you have. Does it have all the perks? Such as the hookup for the camera, wireless and so on? Like I said, I am clueless as to what I should be adding and to what I need

Haiko,

Are they good to go with wireless? I thought I heard that RoadRunner has a wireless servise now which I was thinking about for the house. I still need to look into it though. Thanks again all.

Coincidence Me baby!

I absolutely LOVE my Toshiba Laptop! Never a problem! Even got my stepson the same one, it is so awesome!

I really like the Gateway Profile computers, all in one, no big clunky thing sitting around. We have 2 profile 3's and one profile 4.

Have a Sony Cybershot camera. Not sure how I like it yet, haven't read all the directions to see how to use it...

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

I have a Fuji Finepix 3800, 6x optical zoom is the reason I went with it, I think it retails around $450 USD. Excellent camera and unbeatable for the price.

If your buying a PC with an intel chip I would reccomend staying away from the celeron chips and go for as much Ram as you can reasonably affor, 512 or more.

I am writing this on my dell laptop, It has been excellent and even their entry level laptops are well equipped.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Got my new digital camera in the mail today. Haven't gotten past putting the batteries and flash card in though. One thing about the cameras, pay attention to the type of memory cards, some I looked at used some not so common memory.

I won't mention my computer because it's obsecure and folks will probably laugh. But great price and the one I had before this one lasted for 5 years with only one service call (and that was related to an apparent yet undetected by Nortons virus).

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

For laptops I only recommend Dell, I just got myself my second Dell laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 and I love it. Stay away from Acer, the biggest piece of crap you can ever buy.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Cannon and Fugi have my vote for a digital camera and always get a closeout. (Hot model 8-6 months ago). You can never go wrong with IBM or Sony notebooks. Like Connie said Toshibas are well built but oftehn very pricy. Anything else including those OEM labeled Dells are a crap shoot to get services. You can get a powerhouse desktop at Tigerdirect and couple it with the Benq 17" monitor and 256MB-512MB of ram for the 1000.00

Hell just shop all three at EcomCity and save bigtime. Be a cheapskate and see if Overstock has all three units and only pay $2.95 freight for the whole order.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

My mom has an antique shop and we took tons of pictures.

If you're going to take a lot of pictures, find a camera with a micro-drive. That will allow you to take hundreds of pictures at the highest resolution. A typical memory card will allow you to take 10 to 20 pictures at maximum resolution.

The micro drives are awsome!

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

Thanks alot for all the tips. It's really helping alot Jeeez I hate shopping. It would take me and my ex about 3 hours just to decide on one thing we both liked. My head is pounding. I almost had the Inspiron 5100 in the shopping cart but with all the extras I added the price grew to almost $2000.00 and I don't think I want to go that high. Does anyone know if the Thinkpads that Haiko suggested are all good to go for wireless???

I did like the Gateway Profiles but after always trying to fix my aunts problems with her Gateway, I backed off of that one.

I'm still looking at the Digital Cameras and I like the canons so far but still have to look at the Figi. God I hate shopping so much it is almost silly watching me do it

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Manager
    Camera- I have to second Haiko. I have an Olympus that's ancient now- but i love it. My first experience with a digiatal camera was years ago when I was doing work with Sony- and they used Olympus cameras. That sold me.

Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network

A parasite free contract since June 2001
    http://ian.com

Packy,

My notebooks are wireless

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I think I am going with the Dell for a notebook. Right now they have some rebates and upgrades that end today.

Inspiron 8500 with a 300.00 rebate for $1199.00
    Dell 8500

Inspiron 5100 with a $100.00 rebate for $1099.00
    Dell 5100

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the 8500 for an extra $100.00?

Also, would I need any extras for it to be wireless? Thanks, yours truly, the older brother of dumb and dumber, Dumbest

Coincidence Me baby!

[This message was edited by DaPackster on October 08, 2003 at 12:34 PM.]

Hi All,

Here is what I ended up with. I don't know if it is good or bad. Any thoughts! Also, will I be able to hook a camera up to it?

Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.40GHz with 533MHz front side bus Qty:

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices 3.5 in Floppy Drive

Mouse Mouse included in Dell Wireless Package

CD or DVD Burner for 2nd bay 48x CD-RW Drive with Sonic RecordNow

Sound SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital Sound Card with Dolby Digital 5.1 capability

Multi-Media Players RealOne™ Player, with 14 day SuperPass trial

Security Software Dell SecurityCenter by McAfee, 90-day introductory offer

Wireless Broadband Router Dell TrueMobile 2300 (802.11b/g) Wireless Router with 1Yr Adv Exchange

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year At-Home Service

Bundled Software Productivity Pack including Quicken New User Edition
    Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition¹²

Wireless Networking Solution New Dell™ TrueMobile™ USB Wireless Adapter for Desktops
    Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (2x512M)

Monitor FREE UPGRADE! 17 in E171FPb Flat Panel

High Speed Internet Access Find a high speed Internet service provider in your area

Video Editing Dell Movie Studio Essentials

Keyboard Dell™ Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse

Digital Music Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH

Speakers Altec Lansing® ADA215 Speakers

Hard Drive 40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Network Card Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet

CD or DVD Drive 16X DVD ROM Drive

Digital Photography Dell Picture Studio, Image Expert Premium

Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

Mail-In Rebate Offer Save $100 with mail-in rebate. Price shown before rebate.

Video Card New 128MB DDR ATI RADEON™ 9800 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI

Internet Access Services 6 Months of America Online Membership Included

Coincidence Me baby!

As far as the camera. I've read some real fine reviews on the Canons. I ended up getting an Olympus C-740. It's 3MP and it has a 10X Optical Zoom. The zoom is why I bought this one and it's awesome. I think they have a C-750 that's a 4MP but the 3 is just fine for my needs. That 10X zoom is great. I think I paid about $500.

Ron

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out. A 10X Zoom would be a nice feature.

Coincidence Me baby!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread