ABW Ambassador
    Student faces suit over key to CD locks
    http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5089...l?tag=nefd_top
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>SunnComm Technologies, a developer of CD antipiracy technology, said Thursday that it will likely sue a Princeton student who early this week showed how to evade the company's copy protection by pushing a computer's Shift key.

Princeton Ph.D. student John "Alex" Halderman published a paper on his Web site on Monday that gave detailed instructions on how to disarm the SunnComm technology, which aims to block unauthorized CD copying and MP3 ripping. The technology is included on an album by Anthony Hamilton that was recently distributed by BMG Music.

On Thursday, SunnComm CEO Peter Jacobs said the company plans legal action and is considering both criminal and civil suits. He said it may charge the student with maligning the company's reputation and, possibly, with violating copyright law that bans the distribution of tools for breaking through digital piracy safeguards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So now, when a company writes lousy code, pointing that out is now illegal. We don't have rights, we have allowances and those are always weighed against the rights of business.

This is past disgusting.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    You finally realized what has happened in the USA. Congrats.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    carneol, I actually just tried to delete this post. You have never said anything with an ounce of sense or logic, so just can it.

You have no idea on anything. And I would never want you to think I am agreeing with you - BECAUSE I AM NOT.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    You must not agree to me, but to the truth, and you posted it, or not?

carneol

Ah the DMCA. Doncha love it.

The copy protection also doesn't work if you have Autorun disabled on the CD.

It's hardly an exploit though - the Shift Key thing is by design in Windows. It's actually just pisspoor copy protection and the company is up sh*t creek because now people realise this.

But yeah, it's stupid to have a law where you can go to prison just for things like this, or for modding your X-Box or a host of other things.

It's not just a US thing.. a lot of big businesses in Europe are eyeing up the DMCA with a view to pushing it into here too.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The DMCA only sucks if you're not the one using it.

Otherwise, it's that great law that makes web hosts take down copy sites.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Well, I think it is kind of stupid to be suing someone who basically has just said that such and so is no good because if you do such and so it doesn't work.

If they win that, we do have a problem.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

Just Lurking
    In the USA, the copyright was intended to promote science and the useful arts is it really needed these days? The useful arts way back then is what we refer to as technology today. So exactly where do music and literature come in? Anyone see a constitutional admendment about music and literature? I think they've been whanking our chains for years with this copyright .

Let the flamming begin, I should know better than to pose such question in a forum where people depend on copyright's.

Sounds to me like the company is just pissed off because their lousy programming has been exposed. Fat chance of selling that to anyone now. And they know it. So, why not make the poor kid pay for it, right?

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Typical reaction of corporate management after a screwup. Blame it on someone else or find a scapegoat....

Well, the DMCA *does* have it's uses as Leader points out, especially if you've had your site copied.

But really I think Andy's hit the nail on the head. It's just revenge for being shown up, and an attempt to intimidate people into silence by the threat of legal action.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Parts of DMCA have value, parts. But not as a whole.

If microsoft really wanted to be jerks (can you believe they actually don't always want to be jerks?) - they could sue and silence anyone who exposed a security hole in their software. This way no honest people would ever be informed of the issues, but the hackers would know.

Also under the DMCA, while it is great for site take-downs, did you know you could do this? Make an infringing site, claim the other site is infringing and subpoena all of their personal information, including any business data that could possibly be involved including revenue? This is how some companies are using the law to steal trade secrets.

This is giving up your right to basic privacy, not by court order as normal subpoenas do, but by circumnavigating the courts and getting this information by default.

The DMCA criminalizes what traditional copyright law would allow. From linking to articles to even discussing publicly known topics.

It also takes away some rights of fair use, look at what is happening to people trying to expose Scientology? In the USA you can't even link or discuss the discussion of Scientology. That allows organizations to continue with hidden or at least non-discussed agendas under the threat of being arrested.

The DMCA is a good idea and a terrible piece of legislation. Site copying was already protected before the DMCA.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Otherwise, it's that great law that makes web hosts take down copy sites.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how can anybody prove which site is a copy and which one is an original work? And as far as I know, hosting companies don't care who has done what, they prefer to delete whatever is making noise...

ABW Ambassador
    US citizens have no rights? Why do you think that, because a company might sue some guy?

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe the student needs to get these guys:
    http://www.eff.org
    http://www.chillingeffects.org/
    Lots of interesting reading on those sites.

Edited - Just checked, the threat against the Princeton student is featured on the EFF home page.

"What more proof do you need that the DMCA is chilling legitimate research?" asked EFF senior staff attorney Fred von Lohmann. "In America today, scientists shouldn't have to fear legal action for publishing the truth. Based on the apparent weakness of its technology, perhaps SunnComm should be hiring more Princeton computer scientists, instead of threatening to sue them."

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 10, 2003 at 04:57 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    jimbo2002, because you now under the law - can be sued or even criminally prosecuted for merely speaking the truth.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    How about all you arm chair attorneys get a life!

Just because someone threatens legal action, or actually pursues legal action, doesn't mean the person being charged is guilty, or will ever be convicted of any wrongdoing. We have a legal system in America that presumes innocence until proven guilty. Now that's freedom folks.

You wanna get you hand, or head chopped off because someone doesn't like you, or you're the wrong race or sex ... there's plenty of places in the world for you then. But America isn't one of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Whiznot:
    We have a legal system in America that presumes innocence until proven guilty.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if it makes it on the news .....

If this was really the case, why are a lot of people incarcerated before being proved guilty?

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

Well .. I'm on the SunnComm Technologies side with this one. Even though some here may find this as "petty".

With software it is extremely hard to cover all avenues of security holes (regardless as to the strength of the security .. copyright laws are law). It is one thing to know of a way to circumvent copyright protection methods, but it's a totally different ballgame when you start posting step - by - step methods to the public on how to do it and avoid paying for the technology and expenses the service incurred building the technology.

We ourselves have a few software products on the market that could be cracked by experienced hackers if they are dilligent. If these hackers post step - by - step instructions on how to avoid paying for the software ... you can bet your @ss that we'd be doing the same thing as SunnComm Technologies without a second thought if we are made aware of it. Regardless as to whether it's a college kid, or an old man .. we'd view their actions as nothing less than criminal and follow through with full mediation action.

That's my view anyway.

(BTW: Since when is it a right to post illegal access to technology not paid for and protected by copyright? If you have pirated software without a license .. it's illegal .. period! This is sort of like saying your website page files .. since we have the option to import your files .. guess we can and use them as we want to because it's made available right on the toolbar .. seem fair to you?)

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Whiznot:
    How about all you arm chair attorneys get a life!

Just because someone threatens legal action, or actually pursues legal action, doesn't mean the person being charged is guilty, or will ever be convicted of any wrongdoing. We have a legal system in America that presumes innocence until proven guilty. Now that's freedom folks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree , the THEORY , is good but the REALITY is :
    The difference between being judged guilty or innocent , is too often the difference between whether you have the dollars to defend yourself or not.

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >We have a legal system in America that
    >presumes innocence until proven guilty.

Unless you're a Muslim and are currently on holiday in Cuba.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    First, the supreme court decided that you have a right to make personal copies, this software thwarted that allowance. So the copies being made were not out of hand illegal.

Second the entire step - in total - hold down the shift key while inserting the CD. The software was so poorly written, if you do not have autoplay active, it will not even activate, so is it now illegal to NOT be running autoplay?

As for being innocent to proven guilty.

I guess I am not making the scary point about the DMCA scary enough. It shifts that fact and makes people guilty before the trial, mere suspicion forces the suspected to give up rights normally only lost in guilt. THAT IS THE SCARY PART!!!!

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But really I think Andy's hit the nail on the head. It's just revenge for being shown up, and an attempt to intimidate people into silence by the threat of legal action. ~Dynamoo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Andy too. I was just making the point that there are times the DMCA isn't all bad...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread