How to Manage and Update Too Many Popshops?
    First I want to ask: for the search engines, the following are the same or not?

page1.php, page2.php, page3.php...

&

page.php?psps_search=keyword1, page.php?psps_search=keyword2, page.php?psps_search=keyword3...

I think for the second group, the search engine will actually index one page (page.php) no matter how many keywords you use at the end of the URL, am I right or not?

If you tell me that the above two groups are the same thing, whenever I use a new keyword to the end of the URL, the search engines may index a new page. Then I could easily add thousands of pages just by changing the keyword at the URLs.

If what I think is right, the second group of URLs are the same one page, then I have this second question: You build one Popshop, get one webpage, and you keep building and adding more pages, you may now have hundreds of pages, hundreds of Popshops, even more, how do you manage all those shops? Some merchants move from one network to another, almost everyday more products become inactive, how do you update all the pages? Although you add products fast to the posts using the Wordpress plug-in, after a month or two, most of the added product links become outdated, how do you update them?

If we don't take care of the "managing and updating" problem first, then updating and managing too many shops will take up most of our time, keep us from adding new merchants and new shops.

But we can manage a small group of Popshops. One Popshop + keyword1 gets page1, + keyword2 get page2..., One Popshop combine with hundreds keywords, use the search results to create hundreds of pages, we only need to update this one Popshop, all pages' product feeds content and links will be updated. This is the best way I can think of for the updating problem.

I'm not a programmer, don't know how to change the 'normal' php code, how to create different pages using different keywords base on one Popshop. Can anyone show me how to change the 'normal' php code, add a line or two, use the same code only change the search keyword everytime create a new page? Or any other methods to create multiple webpages base on one Popshop? Any better ways to manage and update shops?

Thanks for any advice and help.

Jeannie

Currently, I don't think that is possible. There may be a way to try and get around it by setting up a page with a dummy standalone search box, then put in your keyword(s), then copy the resulting URL that appears in the browser as your `page with keyword`. The only problem with using keywords that way is the individual store search engine is more flexible at removing garbage items that come up with the keyword you use.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsite
    Currently, I don't think that is possible. There may be a way to try and get around it by setting up a page with a dummy standalone search box, then put in your keyword(s), then copy the resulting URL that appears in the browser as your `page with keyword`. The only problem with using keywords that way is the individual store search engine is more flexible at removing garbage items that come up with the keyword you use.
    Is it possible to change this kind of URL "page.php?psps_search=keyword" to keyword.php? change the long URL with ?psps_search... to a short and search engine friendly URL? How to do that?

You said that could put the search result URL such as page.php?psps_search=keyword into a webpage under the standalone search box. How to do that? I don't know how to insert the search results into a page using the URL. Can you show me a simple example with code? Thanks very much.

Jeannie

You can create the popshop dynamically see thread: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=104829

In that case it indexes what you call your pages....
    page.php?psps_search=keyword1, page.php?psps_search=keyword2, page.php?psps_search=keyword3..., etc.
    G indexes those pages and not just page.php

Is it possible to change this kind of URL "page.php?psps_search=keyword" to keyword.php? change the long URL with ?psps_search... to a short and search engine friendly URL? How to do that?
    That is actually a good idea. You probably can do it in a redirect. My only problem with the dynamic popshop is that I don't know how to rig the Title for each page. I would like to dynamically change the Title of the page to match the search query.

It will be perfect if we could insert the Popshop's search results into anywhere on a webpage. Is it possible to insert one page using its URL address such as 'page.php?psps_search=keyword' into another page (keyword.php)?

page.php?psps_search=keyword1 content shows on webpage keyword1.php
    page.php?psps_search=keyword2 content shows on webpage keyword2.php
    page.php?psps_search=keyword3 content shows on webpage keyword3.php

How to integrate one page into another page? Any ideas?

Jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie
    It will be perfect if we could insert the Popshop's search results into anywhere on a webpage. Is it possible to insert one page using its URL address such as 'page.php?psps_search=keyword' into another page (keyword.php)?

page.php?psps_search=keyword1 content shows on webpage keyword1.php
    page.php?psps_search=keyword2 content shows on webpage keyword2.php
    page.php?psps_search=keyword3 content shows on webpage keyword3.php
    Jeannie
    You can use .htaccess to pretty up the page names:

Redirect 301 page.php?psps_search=keyword1 http://www.example.com/keyword1.php

I think the better way is not just getting a short URL. Let's look at a Wordpress template, when we look at a Wordpress blog webpage, we know the one page is actually header.php + page.php + sidebar.php + footer.php. How can we combine pages like this? integrate a few pages together?

keyword1.php has its own title and content, somewhere on the page, how can we insert 'page.php?psps_search=keyword1', integrate the search results into the keyword1.php? Combine keyword1.php and 'page.php?psps_search=keyword1' together into one page?

Jeannie

G indexes those pages and not just page.php
    Right now G is indexing those query pages:
    page.php?psps_search=keyword1
    page.php?psps_search=keyword2
    page.php?psps_search=keyword3
    ... etc.

So, why would you want to rename/integrate those result pages still into keyword1.php, etc. Do you think it's better for SEO? What does the keyword1.php have, only title tags?

I am leaving the pages as is right now and not redirecting. The titles for each page is dynamically changed based on the query so each page does have it's own unique name.

"What does the keyword1.php have, only title tags?"
    The keyword1.php can have its own title, header, content. Adding the search results to the keyword1.php, means more content (dynamic, always updated content) for this page.

"The titles for each page is dynamically changed based on the query so each page does have it's own unique name."

How do you do this? How can you dynamically change each page's <title>title</title> and <h1>header</h1>?

I just checked the example on Popshop FAQ page "How to create a dynamic site", all these pages

page.php?psps_search=keyword1
    page.php?psps_search=keyword2
    page.php?psps_search=keyword3
    ... etc.

They all have the same title and header. How to do to "dynamically change" the title and header of each page using the keyword?

Thanks,
    Jeannie

I get around the title modification with this:
    {foreach from=$categories_brand item=category}
    <a href="index.php?cpage=centers/brand&amp;nl=1&amp;title={$category}&psps_search={$category|escape:"url"}">{$category}</a><br/>
    {/foreach}

Then, in the header for my sites, I have this:
    <title>{$displaytitle} At The Beauty Lass etc</title>

Since title is fed by each category name and since title is passed to $displaytitle, the titles end up looking like >>
    Chanel at The Beauty Lass

(That's Smarty PHP - normal PHP would need normal PHP codes around it)

Don't quite understand the code you gave. But thanks very much. I hope Popshops could add a simple site builder soon which could create multiple pages with different titles, headers and search results on each pages using keywords base on one shop.

Jeannie

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread