What Makes a "Perfect Affiliate Program"
    We are a funny T-shirt company just beginning our affiliate program and we are wondering what it takes to make the perfect affiliate program from the perspective of the affiliates (maybe even T-shirt affiliates). What are the essentials and what are the little things that are important too? Please be specific as possible and blatantly honest comments are recommended!

*individual product links (many affs. demand a datafeed)
    *decent commission %
    *keeping product links/datafeed updated
    *no leaks (links on product pages to sites that don't help the affiliate)
    *merchant offers promotion or coupon links to affiliate, or at least they are price competitive w/other merchants.

- Cookie length of 90 Days or more
    - Auto Deposit
    - Good selection of Text & Banner links

I'll "second" all that. I would add that, if you supply a datafeed for affiliates to use, please make sure it has usable, meaningful categories and hopefully even subcategories for all the products.
    Generate more fake news.

The most blatantly blunt and honest help has been compiled for you at the Merchant Best Practices section here on ABW at http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=412

Welcome to ABW RecklessTees!

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Merchant Best Practices section here on ABW at http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=412
    I agree -- start there and read everything!

I also offer my own advice for merchants at http://www.MarkWelch.com/affiliate-advice.php

wow! Thanks guys, much appreciated. A few questions though.

What format of datafeed to you prefer?
    What is considered a "good" commission?
    Does SAS support autopay? I don't see that option anywhere.

also - be responsive to affiliate questions and requests. be sure you have enough management capacity for the number of affiliates you accept.

superCool hates to receive bogus no-information replies to questions - or no reply at all

good luck

SAS has a standard format for datafeeds, that's what we're used to working with although many have requested XML which would be attractive to those who use it. As for Autopay, SAS pays us, your end of that would be AutoDeposit which is considered the smart way to do things. Without AutoDeposit one big sale can knock all your links out and show your program as "Temporarily Offline" in the interface until you find out about it. As for a good commission, that depends a lot on your margins but T-Shirts generally are 10 -20% which sounds higher than it is as these aren't generally $125 products. If you sell a shirt for $20 and the affiliate makes $4, (20%) it's not a big bite. Some products can carry a higher markup than others so there is no magic good commission number.

Affiliate Manager
    I have a question, I am a merchant and I have 5 different websites that I sell my products online. These products are related except from one website that is completely off the topic of the others. I currently have a datafeed that combines all of these products into one big datafeed. They are categorized and subcategorized. Is this a problem for affiliate?

Since you asked what is a good commission, I'm going to throw this out there. What would you consider a good commission on a pay per acquistion program? We offer instant issue term life insurance through a major carrier (140 year old insurance company). Someone can get a policy completely online in about 15 minutes.

So the affiliate would be paid on the acquisition. Does anyone have any experience with this type product and have an opinion on a fair payout?

we are now paying 15% of the purchase amount and think this is pretty fair. We are considering a flat dollar amount per shirt ($3 for example). I would be very interested to hear what others think about what a "fair payout" for this type of product would be.

Thanks again for the info guys. After looking around a bit more, we now have the following: (What do you think? Should we add or edit anything?)

-15% payout on all of our products (we will increase up to 20% if you have a quality T-shirt site or high performing site).
    -Two tier program to reward affiliates you bring in.
    -Data feed (updated every Monday) and individual product pages (w/ pictures and subcategories) for all of our products.
    -No leaks! We have ZERO ads on our main page, shirt pages, and other support pages.
    -60 day tracking gap.
    -Everything is always in stock (and if it's not, we will inform you promptly). We create and manufacture all of our products.
    -Great selection of banner and text ads (both large and small). If we don't have what you want, we will make it, just ask.
    -Unique and hilarious products that act as great impulse buys. Average sale is $26.00-$33.00.
    -Monthly payments through SAS. We DO have auto deposit so we are never offline.
    -Opt-in newsletter every Monday detailing product/price changes, additions, upcoming events/sale, and addressing any and all other concerns.
    -We are always availabe for questions, concerns, and requests. Just email us and we will be happy to take care of whatever you need.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread