Lightbulb Future of Affiliate Marketing
    Here is my idea:

Instead of having link to third party tracking systems, merchants need to do this.

On merchants site create a keyword enriched page for each of the affiliates and have a seo tracking link for each affiliate to their designated page.

This way:

Content is created on merchants site by affiliate (good for SEO). The content relates to affiliate offerings

Incoming links to onsite content pages from affiliate site. (Affiliate links to content page, which builds seo for both affiliate and merchant)

Real easy

ABW Ambassador
    "Content is created on merchants site by affiliate"

I don't think so. Any content I produce will be on my own sites. Read your other post as well. People still love coupons, plenty of coupon sites still doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "Content is created on merchants site by affiliate"

I don't think so. Any content I produce will be on my own sites. Read your other post as well. People still love coupons, plenty of coupon sites still doing well.
    yeah i know, i haven't updated mine in over a year and still making money

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Here is my idea:

On merchants site create a keyword enriched page for each of the affiliates and have a seo tracking link for each affiliate to their designated page.

This way:

Content is created on merchants site by affiliate (good for SEO). The content relates to affiliate offerings

Incoming links to onsite content pages from affiliate site. (Affiliate links to content page, which builds seo for both affiliate and merchant)
    What? I have no idea what you are proposing.

You want me to write content and have it on the merchants URL? Then link to the merchants URL where I have written content?

Here is my idea:

Instead of having link to third party tracking systems, merchants need to do this.

This way:

Real easy
    Very confusing.

ABW Ambassador
    So the merchant writes key-rich content, does all the work, and we link to it? Are you proposing this because merchant pages, without affiliate links, tend to rank higher in the search engines? So if a merchant has 800 affiliates, he's going to have to write 800 pages of unique content?

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly. With this strategy, Why does the merchant need us?

ABW Ambassador
    "So the merchant writes key-rich content, does all the work, and we link to it?"

The affiliate writes the content and it's hosted on the merchant site and then the affiliate is supposed to link to it from their own site.

ABW Ambassador
    That is really adding value to your affiliate site.

I think the concept is something like (and forgive the analogy, it's not a great one, but it's the best I can do at this moment) having commissioned sales reps within a retail store.

The merchant creates the store, has the merchandise, then "staffs" the promotional end with affiliates who fill sections with content that is intended to sell.

The links they put on their site are like saying "Tell your friend to ask for John." when referring people to the store.

It's an interesting concept, the reversal of content from affiliates who carry content about multiple merchants to the concept of merchants who carry content from multiple affiliates.

However, I can see several issues just thinking about the top-level of the idea that could poke serious holes in this plan.

For one, like commissioned sales reps, you could "walk" into the store and bump into several different content pages written by several different affiliates. Then who gets credit for the sale?

Unless every single link on that page (including the navigation if it's framed within the merchant's standard look/feel) is code with the affiliate info, there will be leaks like you wouldn't believe.

Plus, affiliates are in danger of unethical merchants who discover that this page is generating lots of traffic, has managed to rank very high in engines, etc... what's to stop them (the unethical ones) from dropping you from the program, stripping your links and keeping the content for themselves. Unless you have an airtight copyright / use agreement in place, you could see your content being stolen.

And, again - to the unethical folks - would you (as an affiliate) have time to check every merchant you've provided content for on a regular basis to make sure your codes haven't been changed??

I think this kind of idea is interesting if you were to partner up with a very like-minded site (e.g. if an affiliate who wrote a design blog wanted to provide content along these lines to our site in the way of design articles, I'd be open for discussion), but I can't see how this will progress into the overall future of affiliate marketing.

But that could just be me.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    That is really adding value to your affiliate site.
    It sure is.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I am always interested in new ideas, but I don't get this one quite yet. I have to think about it.

A merchant can get quality inbound links by hosting their own affiliate program. I also new one company had technology that had direct affiliate links so the merchant benefited from the links. They are still around, but have not really took off, so maybe it is not that great.

Tom Smykowski: It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

Michael Bolton: That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.

Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

This thread got me to thinking about alternate tracking methods so I started a new thread entitled Cookieless Tracking.

X

Sounds like a dud to me, sorry
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by rhammersmith
    Tom Smykowski: It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

Michael Bolton: That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.

Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.
    LOL hahahaha

Sounds like you've been talking with the Danmer guys

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As Twitter says - Fail whale.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Here is my idea:

This way:

Real easy
    It sounds ideal the problem is, speaking as a merchant, we have regulations as to what our content can and can not be. I am the affiliate recruiter for Revenue Allies, we are resellers of satellite tv, cable providers (in 97% of the country), telcos, and many other products. These large companies have restrictions and rules that we need to abide by so our affiliates need to use the content materials we give them.

Loxly says: edited out the spammy part. Look into buying a new program announcement.
    Last edited by loxly; August 21st, 2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: got spammy at the end of post

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread