How to lose money -- eBay Giving Works listing
    This just beats all! I wrote to eBay about a transaction on my reports:

On my reports for 8/11/08 for transactions on 8/10/08, there was an entry of Minus .55. I looked at the item, and the auction ended on 8/10/08. There was no entry with a positive number that the .55 was deducted from. How is it possible to make a negative amount on an auction that just closed?
    And this is the response I received:

I've checked this item and I'd like to inform you that this item was an eBay Giving Works listing and so all fees have been re-credited to the seller. That is the reason why there is a debit in your Transaction Download report.
    So basically, I lost money on this transaction. I never received credit for the original sale. I just received a deduction for the fact that somebody clicked my link to make the purchase, and eBay lost money on the transaction, so I did too.

This is just plain wrong. Why am I being penalized for sending traffic that resulted in a sale? I realize that this is just a small amount ... 55 cents. But, seriously, what if it had been a big ticket item?

The entries may not match in amount, if it was a 25% giving works auction the seller gets 25% credit on fees which would result in a 25% chargeback to you. Which would mean the original amount would be $2.20.

The point is that I never received credit for the original sale. I just ran my reports for the entire time that the ePN program has been running. The item in question only appears on my reports once for a negative amount. I have no problem with them deducting the amount from what they previously gave me credit for, but that's not what happened.

They deducted 55 cents ... period. If there had first been a transaction where they credited me 55 cents or more, I would have no problem with the negative amount. What I'm saying is there is a glitch in the program. Either eBay credited the Seller back more than they charged them, or eBay never gave me credit for the original sale that they deducted the amount from.

Sorry, the way I read your post I thought you were just looking for an original transaction of .55 to offset the chargeback.

Hope somebody from ebay is paying attention to this thread - if you (ebay) read Tracy's other posts she has taken an incredible amount of time to educate many ebay affiliate newbies and given very positive feedback about your program for a very long time.

I could see how this would be a slap in her face.

What is .55 cents to a billion dollar business anyway? That's just petty and tacky.

I guess I'm not reading this carefully enough. One of the major issues I think Tracy was making was this: Why should we EPN affiliates lose any commissions because some seller decides to donate part of the sale to charity.

Wasn't that part of the issue? I may have completely misunderstood, though, so please someone tell me if that's an issue.

I give to charities regularly, including my local church of which I'm a member. I do NOT want to "give" involuntarily as part of EPN when I'm not asking for the privilege.

Have I completely misunderstood that? Probably.
    Generate more fake news.

We get paid on eBay's revenue, if they don't get revenue, we don't get paid.

I have absolutely no problem with it.

I think the topic was lost through the replies. Tracy is saying she didn't get credit for an item for which EPN later debited 55 cents from her account. Had she been paid a commission on the item and then had the 55 cents reversed it would be a different issue.

It's not about the eBay giving program. It's simply an accounting or tracking error. Someone at eBay needs to correct the error.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I have no problem with it either, if the case were (1) I received credit for .55 and then later (2) they deducted the .55 from what I had been previously credited for. If they didn't make money, I shouldn't either. But that is not what happened.

The auction closed and one and only one entry was posted to my account. The Winning Bid with a -.55 as the income. In other words, they somehow didn't make any money, and ended up giving the Seller .55 back on top of that, and now they're applying it against my earnings. Or, they never charged the Seller, and then refunded the Seller. Whatever the case, my account balance shouldn't have decreased by any amount.

It's not even the amount that I have a problem with. It's the principle that I am being charged back for something I didn't get credit for. The amount doesn't matter. My gripe is that it happened at all. If this error fell through the system, what's to stop additional ones in the future for larger amounts of money. There is a flaw in the algorithm in eBay's program that needs to be addressed.

Thank you, GoColts for your kind words. I have always been a fan of eBay and still am. I just think that if I see a problem, they should fix it before it becomes a nightmare.

Actually, knight01, the auction closed and the amount was -.55. It all happened on the same day. Just that one entry. There was never an entry where the auction closed and showed that I had any earnings. It was only the negative amount, which is why it stood out like a sore thumb when I looked at my report.

Who knows? Maybe eBay gave the Seller .55 credit but never charged them so that's why the -.55 came through. If that is the case, then they have a problem with their billing end, which needs to be addressed and is falling through to the commissions end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy

Thank you, GoColts for your kind words. I have always been a fan of eBay and still am. I just think that if I see a problem, they should fix it before it becomes a nightmare.
    Your welcome - your personal posts contain many gold nuggets to any ebay affiliate looking to succeed in their program - they helped me out a great deal.

I better stop though before the hounds come and rebuke me for handing out warm fuzzies.

ps - I didn't get lost in the conversation, I think you were pretty clear - it's the principal of the matter not the amount.

I received a response to a follow-up email I sent to eBay:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the negative amount that is in
    your Transaction Download Report.

I would like to inform you that we have carefully checked it once again
    and find out that, something was not correct in the report.

Hence, I've forwarded your email to the relevant team at eBay Partner
    Network. They will review your email and get back to you in the next
    couple of days.

We apologise for the inconveniences that the delay would cause you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    Nice to know that I was right.

I just downloaded ALL my transactions and looked at all the chargebacks. There is indeed one lone one with no payment, just the chargeback.

Ok, this is beginning to get a little scary. Audit time!

X

Yes, it would be interesting to see if anybody else finds similar transactions in their reports.

Turns out I discovered a flaw in the system. I posted about this simultaneously at the eBay Discussion Forum, and received an online response from the eBay team:
    Thanks for reporting the issue and then following up on it when you got the initial reply. Sorry that we got it wrong the first time around. Just to let you know, we found that you were one of a very small percentage of other publishers were affected by this issue since the launch of eBay Partner Network. For everyone who was affected by under $1 (most of the affected publishers), we're simply issuing a $1 credit. For anyone who was impacted by over $1, we're going to credit the exact amount. Thanks again for your follow up on this!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Good work, Tracy! The whole situation is just totally wrong.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread