15 years and counting
    Read the fine print
    A few days ago, I took on board a new merchant. I checked closely their products and decided to promote them. Two days ago I had my first sales with these commissions for different orders:
    $89.69, $64.74, $129.48 and $106.66 Not bad for a beginning. Yesterday I had my first reversal with the reason: "Non qualified lead Sale", I was wondering why and I received my answer:
    "The reversals were done because the orders were wholesale/dropship orders." I had a look deep in the agreement and sure enough, it's there somewhere. I found it yesterday after reading it during 1 hour. I can't find it anymore. It say, affiliate will not be paid on wholesale orders... and any customer can become a wholesaler (or an affiliate I guess)
    So, the merchant has the right to don't pay me, I applied as an affiliate and it's in the agreement.
    I'm not going to name the merchant.

I did my job (and Shareasale, too). Why should I do it for free? IMHO, the merchant should use a different tracking (out of Sharesale) for wholesale orders or a different website.
    I had that case several times, do you think such merchants should be accepted in a network?
    And, it would be nice if such important exceptions were outlined in a contract. A few of these agreements are hard to read. It the case of this merchant, it's a recycled one from a former indy affiliate programs with lots of nonsense inside.
    What's your thoughts?

I say you are correct in your thinking, Zeus. If they are selling wholesale also, they need to have a separate site for that. Otherwise, every new customer might first consider if they can become a wholesaler in order to get the price break. Times are a little tough. People look for every dollar they can get. This goes for merchants, customers, and affiliates. The rule should be simple though - drive a paying customer and get a commission...no strings attached, or get the wholesale operation on a different site.

-sfcom

Wow, that sucks. Another couple words to search in the Terms: "dropship" and "wholesale."
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

Unless the customer was already a registered wholesaler (in which case, I see no reason why they would have ended up with your tracking cookie... unless they were checkout out the competition), then you should definitely get the commission - or at least some kind of referral bonus.

After all, they just got themselves a brand new wholesale customer who - if they are truly a wholesale customer and not just someone who is registering to get a price break - will provide a good number of sales moving forward.

You referred them, you deserve something.

15 years and counting
    I agree with you.

Here's the exact quote taken from the Affiliate Agreement:
    "Commissions will be paid out on retail orders only. Any wholesale orders that are credited to an affiliate in error will be voided."
    Very hard to spot in the middle of the agreement.
    Here's the answer from the Affiliate Manager
    "Non-Qualified lead sale usually means that your customer, who has your cookie on their machine (and we can't do anything about that, unfortunately) has become a wholesale/dropship client. And we, for obvious reasons, do not pay commissions on wholesale orders - only on retail."

Yes, they got a new wholesaler thanks to my work. It's worth something, like a finder fee.

I read the full contract again and it's taking me a full hour and a pair of new eyes each time.

I spotted that:
    "Due to the fact that XXXXX is part of several different affiliate networks that do not interface with each other, on occasion duplicate transactions may occur and two affiliates will receive credit for the same invoice and sale. Due to the fact that we cannot determine which affiliate site is first clicked upon, our policy is to split and share the commissions between the affiliates. When this circumstance occurs, a notice will be sent to the affiliates concerning such an event. "

It's not the right way to work on a duplicate order.

Actually... I'm curious about this one.

The split commissions issue is a tough one, one that I've always wondered about.

The general "accepted" concept is "last click owns the sale" but what about cases (like with above) where you can't tell who the last click was?

I'm not sure why they can't see the click date, most programs will show that... but not all programs show exact click time, so if the clicks were both on the same day, what would you want done???

Paul

15 years and counting
    There's a way to implement a software mod in most cart in order to fire only the pixel from the network who closed the sale.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread