Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for a script to take care of what I need to do for a clients website.

They want their website set up so that only certain people can access it.

At first I thought, cool, simple, password protection, but nope, it is bit more in-depth than that.

The people that that would have persmission to access the site already have an ID Number assigned to them, so they want to have it set up so that the person just has to enter that ID number to gain access to the site.

I thought about a password system where the ID Number was the username and then they could choose whatever for their own password, but I would need something where if they entered the ID Number it would automatically cross refrence through a master list list to make sure that ID exists.

They do not want to send out a special letter telling everyone their username and password, etc. So it has to be something that is automated on the site.

Any ideas on this one?

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Affiliate Manager
    Is the site database driven? If so you could just query the database for a particular ID and then count the number of rows that the query finds for it. If it finds that there are 0 rows for the queried ID then it would give an error message...if it finds that there is one row for the ID then it would let them access the site.

Hope that made sense

Of course with the no password option they are leaving room for anyone to randomly type in an ID and get access to the site if they should happen to type in an ID that matches one in the database...

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

The eVitamins Parasite & Scumware Policy:
    http://www.vitamins-etc.com/parasitepolicy.asp

ABW Ambassador
    I agree that just the ID number will leave the site vulnerable to miscreants.

You might use the id as the password and an email address as the user name. Set up an automated registration so a first-time visitor can register, get an email from the site and require a reply to the email to confirm. I can't give you a how-to because I've never had the need to look into this. I have ideas how I would do it on my sites if I had to, using ASP and an Access database.

You should also remind your client that site security often requires a bit of cost or effort on their part and should reconsider how important this is to them. It doesn't sound like they put much value on it.

Wayne

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Here's a thought.

I just re-read his latest email. It seems to me that he hasn't assigned the ID Number yet.

When he sends out his new mailing, (usps mail) he can include this info on the label.

I am thinking he could do something like this:

dealername/1Z234900

Adress of mailing label here.

Then, as long as I had a master list, couldn't I set up just about any cgi password program using the dealername as the username and the ID number as the password.

Then I could place only the login link on the main page of the site. Not the sign up form.

This would work, correct?

If so, could someone recommend a simple to set up, yet effective CGI password program that would do the trick?

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    There are lots of shareware scripts that you might look at. Search Google for "CGI password program" and you should have a good selection to pick from. Can't recommend any in particular.

Something else to consider:
    You need to redirect to your sign-in anyone who comes to the site through any back page, either because of a bookmark or a search engine link. My book review site gets relatively few visitors coming in through the front door.

Wayne

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread