Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Exclamation Credit Card Fraud in Boston
    Hello folks,

This is just a heads up and has nothing to do with the summit itself.

It seems that 2 members of our staff, Andy Jr and Stephanie had over $1,000 charged to their bank card this morning from someone in Spain. The cards have been cancelled and the refund process is on the way.

Just an FYI, check your cards and bank accounts.

Edit to add: Andy's card that was compromised was only used at the hotel check in, he says everything else was charged on a diff credit card.
    Last edited by Andy Rodriguez; August 14th, 2008 at 04:34 PM.
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

40 million credit card numbers stolen :
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html

Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked the two cards I used and they are both OK. But the hotel has not yet charged my main card - so I'll keep on checking that one.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked the two cards I used and they are both OK. But the hotel has not yet charged my main card - so I'll keep on checking that one.
    Yeah, seems odd that both his and her card were compromised and from the same person in Spain, on the same day for the same amounts.

Someone has their hands in the cookie jar somewhere ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Another heads up for all Affiliate Summit Boston attendees who stayed at the Seaport.

We had a member of our staff also fraudulently charged over $1000. He also had used two different cards; one for the hotel room (our corporate card) and his personal card.

It was his personal card that had the $1000+ charge on it.

Check your charges!!
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

Outsourced Program Manager Andy2.0's Avatar
    Yea, I wasn't a happy camper... odd part was, I don't use my business card for anything, the front desk clerk had the card in his hands for at most, 60 seconds before I asked him to use a different card, besides that, it hasn't seen the light of day. This who dispute process is very annoying to say the least. It was specifically a bank card however... my creditcard was fine... I suppose Bankcards are easier to go after...

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    Yea that was not a good surpise to have when we got home. There is something fishy about that Seaport Hotel! No pun intended, but srsly someone is running a scam.
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

15 years and counting
    That's not a good feeling. More likely they have an employee sweeping cards on the side.
    You did the right thing with your bank but you should also complaint to the General manager of that hotel. He's putting his customers at risk.

A restaurant was probably involved. A common scam is for the waiter or waitress to take a picture of your card with their camera phone while processing a restaurant payment. The image is sent off to an accomplice and sometimes the card is being used illegally before you leave the place.

The crooks pay waiters and waitresses for each card image that they send.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    The image is sent off to an accomplice and sometimes the card is being used illegally before you leave the place.
    Wow.
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I'm so sorry this happened to you guys!! Hope you get it sorted soon. Thanks for alerting the rest of us - we will definitely be checking our cards!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    nasty non-smoking place! hrumph!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    nasty non-smoking place! hrumph!
    LOL, tell me about it. Much of Boston is smoke free. I had to check out 10-15 hotels before I could find one that allowed smoking, over on Beacon Hill downtown. A lot more money plus the $50-$60 day for cab fare. But, I'll stop smoking when I'm good and ready and NOT because some hotel doesn't like it.

I've been watching our statements and so far nothing fraudulent showed up but we didn't stay at the SeaPort.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

UPDATE:

We have been contacted by the GM / VP of the hotel and they are investigating the situation with the credit / bank cards. They assured us this will be investigated fully and they will bring in any resources needed to get to the bottom of the situation.

I applaud their commitment and level of responsibility, not many companies would follow through on situations like this.

Kudos to the Seaport Hotel management ..

Outsourced Program Manager RogerSnow's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up Andy. That really sucks. It amazes me how some people think.
    Roger Snow | Team Manager | Snow Consulting, Inc.
    email: info AT snow-consulting.com | View Our Clients & Affiliate Blogs | MSN: ramschamps@hotmail.com | AIM: RogerColorGuy | GoogleTalk: snowconsulting9 | Skype: snowconsulting

Andy, I learned Sunday that my cc was also fraudulently charged well over $1,000 - the same one I used at the hotel. I didn't put two and two together....charges were from Spain as well.

Oh, wow! That's terrible guys!

Since there is more than one person involved and you can all prove that you stayed at the same hotel during the same time for the same conference, I'd definitely get the police involved. Management may take care of it like they said, but who's to say for sure..... I'd want to know if this was an isolated incident or an ongoing problem. Getting the authorities involved is the only way you can make sure it doesn't happen to future guests.

Let us know how this resolves! Good luck!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kayecee

Since there is more than one person involved and you can all prove that you stayed at the same hotel during the same time for the same conference, I'd definitely get the police involved. Management may take care of it like they said, but who's to say for sure..... I'd want to know if this was an isolated incident or an ongoing problem. Getting the authorities involved is the only way you can make sure it doesn't happen to future guests.
    - it's clearly comeone at the hotel and that's seriously wicked. I think you all should file a report with the Boston PD - this is serious theft and the hotel probably won't want to contact the PD about it since it would disrupt their lives. It's good that they're looking into it but without a real investigation, whoever was doing this is probably still doing it.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Yeah.... and with the amounts involved, I think just ONE charge would be considered grand theft.... there's been at least 4 incidents that we know of... that's over $4,000.... and there's no telling how many have been scammed that the hotel isn't going to fess up to......

Sure the hotel management is gonna be nice.... they don't want their name besmirched.... but if they figure out who did it, what are they gonna do? Fire the person? Big fat hairy deal.... they'll just move on to their next job and do the same scam all over to other unsuspecting folks just like yourselves.... the person(s) involved need to be stopped.... the only way to make sure that gets done is to get the authorities involved....

Plus, you don't know for SURE how high up this goes.... it's PROBABLY just a regular employee.... but you never know..... stranger things have happened....

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    On a positive note, it's nice to see cheating reported here that doesn't involve an affiliate, merchant ot network. :-)

On another positive note, the GM has become very active on this investigation. Props to him for caring about fixing things to make sure it doesn't happen to others. He has shown true concern and I appreciate him for reaching out to us.

First I want to thank those who brought this activity and this blog to my attention. We regret the expereince of credit card fraud that has been perpetrated and the problems this has created for the victims. I would like to let Affiliate Summit bloggers know what we have done in response to this situation.

Today we met with the Massachuseets State Police and they will be taking over the investigation over the fraudulent credit card charges. We have reached out to those individuals who have mentioned these charges in this blog, and we have passed along their contact information to the State Police.

As Andy mentioned previously, we take guest security and comfort very seriously at Seaport. Our staff undergoes thorough background checks prior to employment, and our company is compliant with Payment Card Industry (PCI) Security Standards - a set of elaborate security practices established by the five major credit card companies. Our property management system immediately encrypts credit card information at the time of check-in, and we do not take imprints of the cards.

We will continue to be actively involved in this investigation until it is resolved. I would encourage any other Affiliate Summit members who believe they may have been impacted to contact the Massachusetts State Police directly or to me, james.carmody@seaportboston.com or 617.385.5105. We regret these unfortunate circumstances and the inconvenience it has caused.

15 years and counting
    Thanks for the update. Glad to know you care for your guests.

Quote Originally Posted by JCarmody
    First I want to thank those who brought this activity and this blog to my attention. We regret the expereince of credit card fraud that has been perpetrated and the problems this has created for the victims. I would like to let Affiliate Summit bloggers know what we have done in response to this situation.

Today we met with the Massachuseets State Police and they will be taking over the investigation over the fraudulent credit card charges. We have reached out to those individuals who have mentioned these charges in this blog, and we have passed along their contact information to the State Police.

As Andy mentioned previously, we take guest security and comfort very seriously at Seaport. Our staff undergoes thorough background checks prior to employment, and our company is compliant with Payment Card Industry (PCI) Security Standards - a set of elaborate security practices established by the five major credit card companies. Our property management system immediately encrypts credit card information at the time of check-in, and we do not take imprints of the cards.

We will continue to be actively involved in this investigation until it is resolved. I would encourage any other Affiliate Summit members who believe they may have been impacted to contact the Massachusetts State Police directly or to me, james.carmody@seaportboston.com or 617.385.5105. We regret these unfortunate circumstances and the inconvenience it has caused.
    I'm impressed that you turned this over to police and more impressed that you came here with an update.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Well all right! Actually taking the situation by the balls and touching base with the members here says a lot about your hotel! Kudos!

I'm also impressed that you turned it over to the police. I hate to say it, but a lot of places would try their best to sweep it away quietly.

Now..... do you have an affiliate program?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast