Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Great Affiliate Road Rally and alternatives
    Based on the number of entries (3) for the Great Affiliate Road Rally (our charity RC car race at the last two Affiliate Summits), we're assuming there isn't much interest, or it's too much of a hassle to bring a car.

What do you all think?

We were thinking that an alternative could be a sort of affiliate Olympics where people could enter and participate in goofy games like three-legged races or musical chairs to win stuff like passes and booths for future conferences.

Fun idea or worst thing ever?
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sounds like fun to me!

How about a dodgeball tournament? I wouldn't participate but I'd definitely pay money to watch it.

Because I drove to Boston I thought about bringing an RC helicopter (just for kicks) to fly over/along the race track. Fun idea, for sure - but logistically a bit difficult for many (I imagine) to transport RC equipment by plane. And I wonder how many AffSum folks actually have RC cars? Some sort of fun competition should attract interest, but not sure what to suggest. (I'll need to think on that a bit.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager kgarcia's Avatar
    We participated in the one in Vegas, but we didn't participate in Boston because in Vegas our car didn't even work because of the signal interference. Depending on your RC car, you can only race a limited number of other cars at a time due to the overlap of signals. If you publicize that you are going to do heats, folks might want to participate again since their cars will work.

As an alternative, is there a Wii racing game that you could put up on the screen and people can race 4 at a time and the winners make a final heat? That would be a lot easier to organize and no one would have to cart a car through security.
    Karen Garcia
    [URL=http://lab6media.com]Lab6 Media[/URL]
    Are you a content creator? A serial entrepreneur? New to the space or a long time player? We'd love to work with you!
    [URL=http://lab6media.com/clients/]Explore the affiliate programs we manage![/URL]

We participated in Vegas - but we brought an expensive RC car and when the start took place the crash that ensued, and the stepping on our car caused us to remove our car from the race all together. If we had known there were only to be three in Boston we would have participated, but the fear of damaging an expensive car was our hang up.

I like the concept, but why not do something like the boy scouts, pine derby relays...you have to make it and follow specifications...there could be prizes for best looking, most original and of course the winner of the derby....

Just my two cents Shawn.

The idea of an affiliate olympics might be fun. When we lived in Rockford, the YMCA sponsored a Corporate Olympics each year. There were usually about 20 events, spread out over 2 weekends and the week between and companies fielded teams complete with logo shirts and trophies. There was plenty of opportunity to make some events worth training for and other events that allowed even the slowest couch potato to participate - nice mix - with prizes for everything from the best team shirt to the most charity funds raised by a team or team member.

Depending on the exertion level of the events, they could be held before, after, and in between other things during the entire summit. The Wii racing event could even be included.

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    We were thinking of games that didn't require too much physical effort or could cause someone to "lose an eye" (a phrase my mother always used on me when I was a kid).

Things like a "ping pong" relay comes to mind, in which teams would line up and carry a ping pong on a spoon, walk to the other end, etc.

Maybe a spelling bee or something like that too.

Basically, Shawn and I are trying to gauge interest in something like this vs bringing back the road rally for another show.

Like always, suggestions are welcome
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Talent contests? Singing, dancing, skits. Just like summer camp but without the bug juice.

I'm disappointed there won't be dodgeball but the spelling bee is more my speed anyway.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kgarcia
    We participated in the one in Vegas, but we didn't participate in Boston because in Vegas our car didn't even work because of the signal interference.
    WHATEVER, Karen! I know the real reason was because y'all were intimidated by the ShareASale car and our super studly racecar driver, Davey Z!

I like the idea of a Wii tournament - I don't own an RC car, so either way is fine with me as far as that goes... it was fun to watch, at least
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateSummitMissy
    Things like a "ping pong" relay comes to mind, in which teams would line up and carry a ping pong on a spoon, walk to the other end, etc.
    Remember that for the most part we're an individualistic bunch. Not srue team oriented would draw many into it, other than networks, maybe.
    Maybe a spelling bee or something like that too.
    Would I be able to use a spell checker? You don't want to see me without one.
    Basically, Shawn and I are trying to gauge interest in something like this vs bringing back the road rally for another show.
    For Vegas, keep in mind a Texas hold'em tournament. Winners are those that have the most after an established amount of time. Could even have rounds played in the evening after all events. Money from the 'buy-in' goes to charity. Maybe offer table / round sponsorships with the money going to charity.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I almost suggested poker, but the problem is that you can't have a decent tournament in less than a few hours, and the road rally slot is basically an hour. Still, you might have something there... maybe one or two hours a night each night, with the whoever is ahead on the final night being declared winner? I'd totally be down for that if I was doing Vegas in January

That sounds like a wholly new event though, not really a one-hour replacement for the road rally :P
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

How about a trivia game? Not sure how it would be set up (buzzers, take turns or whatnot), but you could come up with some affiliate related questions pertaining to networks, programs, booths, sessions, HTML, CSS, PHP, mySQL, PPC, etc.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kgarcia
    If you publicize that you are going to do heats, folks might want to participate again since their cars will work.
    We did promote this change in the way we were doing things a number of times in our blog.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I was thinking a poker tourny too, but not everyone plays poker. I'd be up for it, though. :-)

Something most people could wrap enthusiasm around would be fun and a good money maker. The Olympics idea is good but I'd pass out cold if I did more than walk from my room to the conference area. LMAO - Not sure many other affiliate marketers are the athletic type.

Maybe create a game around affiliate marketing - like Snib's suggestion of a trivia game or a word scramble, crossword puzzle, whatever ... anything but a spelling bee - I'm with Knight - without spell check, I'd look like a complete idiot.

A kareoke competition would be a hoot but some would have way unfair advantage over others.

Not an easy thing to plan, huh?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

missy does well at karaoke but I have never done that and never will.

How about a thumb-wrestling tournament?

.... or fighting?

We could just go straight MMA.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    missy does well at karaoke but I have never done that and never will.

You were so close.... Just one more Corona ;-)
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

ABW Ambassador
    Have lil CPA network, affiliate network, affiliate teams. Play some basketball, badminton, duck duck goose, musical chairs, red rover, hide and seek..... Winners get free passes to next Summit or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Have lil CPA network, affiliate network, affiliate teams. Play some basketball, badminton, duck duck goose, musical chairs, red rover, hide and seek..... Winners get free passes to next Summit or something.
    It's Duck Duck Gray Duck.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Have a polka dance off, Connie would be a sure winner!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    It's Duck Duck Gray Duck.
    Oh my little Kielbasa, it's both!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Duck_Goose

Only in MN and SD is it called Duck Duck Gray Duck.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Those states don't count. They'll eventually be sold to Canada. Everybody knows it's Duck Duck Goose.

Two words, one glorious activity: Four-Square!

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Those states don't count. They'll eventually be sold to Canada. Everybody knows it's Duck Duck Goose.
    LOL didn't ya hear even the 'nadiens don't want them

Compromise ... Duck Duck Grey Goose (for the vodka Lovers).
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast