15 years and counting
    Another tip for Wordpress users
    I was checking my blogs after Jessie tip on Wordpress initial settings and I was shocked to discover copies of several of my blogs. Same layout, same blogroll, AND my own posts with a few different words.
    I made a post yesterday after reading a thread from a merchant on ABW and that post is already copied including the picture.
    It's a Shareasale merchant. I'm sure the merchant can desactivate that unscrupulous affiliate right away.
    But, Brian, can you do something at your level.

Many years ago, I had the same problems with my sites. And I went after each of the thieves. I must say it's a first for my blogs. I know Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but check your blogs with typos in the URL or your main keywords...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    check your blogs with typos in the URL
    Could you give a little example of what you mean here. It may be just the late hour.

15 years and counting
    Let's say you have a site named Shareasale.com and somebody made an exact copy changing just a few words and pictures on this URL Sharesale.com. I'm sure you can get some traffic. I'm not sure Brian would appreciate.

Or, imagine you have several blogs around an idea like an affiliate at ABW:
    I Own Fashion, I Own Sports, I own Real Estates... and one day you type the wrong url like I Own You and you see a perfect copy of your blog for an other vertical. Somebody is trying to register domain names similar to yours and is working hard to copy all your sites.

That's what is happening to me. And I've the feeling the copycat is an ABW member hidding behind free domain registration.

Zeus, I would like to know who this merchant is. That is outrageous. It really makes me wonder what else they are stealing...

I think with the RSS feeds people can more easily copy blogs. I have also been copied before and also went after the copier(s). I am now careful to only include partial feeds, have multiple links either affiliate with my ID or to other parts of my blog so that if someone wants to copy, they will have to change all those links. All my pictures have watermarks because people think they find your image in Google image search they can automatically use for their own site.

15 years and counting
    In this case the affiliate is not using my RSS. He (she) is smart enough to modify the posts but the look and feel of the blogs are mine. He (she) went to the trouble to copy my email list application (not the best one) and left some of my own lines of code in the template.
    More than my blogs, he (she) is registering clones of my URLs.
    ladidah, the merchant is Holywood Mega Store. I sent an email to Linda.

Coincidence? 5 minutes after my post the copycat sites went down. Either he (she)'s reading ABW. Seems like the DNS are not redirecting, free registration...

Wow, someone must be really watching you. I hope you were able to printscreen or save copies of the page as proof just in case.

It amazes me why a merchant would do such a thing.

Their time can be spent doing something else.

I actually was going to join them a few months ago, but never got the chance to. I will be thinking twice now. Glad I didn't.

15 years and counting
    ladidah the merchant Holywood Mega Store did nothing wrong. I was able to catch the copycat because I made a post for this merchant and this post was copied from my site by an affiliate.
    This affiliate did much more than just a copy of one of my posts. The whole blog structure was lifted, clone urls were registered and much more.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread