Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Going with .net or .us domain?
    I had been researching the differences between .com, .net, and maybe even .us domain names. I suspect the search engines could care less about the domain extension your site uses. The only reason I have seen so far to go with .com is because that's what people are accustomed to typing in on the address bar.

Any other real good reason to go with a .com and thereby settling with a variation of the name you want as opposed to going with a .net or .us extension and getting the name you want?

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I had been researching the differences between .com, .net, and maybe even .us domain names. I suspect the search engines could care less about the domain extension your site uses. The only reason I have seen so far to go with .com is because that's what people are accustomed to typing in on the address bar.

Any other real good reason to go with a .com and thereby settling with a variation of the name you want as opposed to going with a .net or .us extension and getting the name you want?
    ".com" is virtually the internet standard and some say its the standing brand. In the US its .com, the UK its .co.uk these are the domains that say your site is established, I'm noit saying .net, .org or .us doesn't mean that, I just strongly believe .com enforces your commercial foundation.

My only concern is that you launch the ideal domain name under .us or .net - and later on, readers try to find it again using the .com. They would reach either a parked domain or someone else's site (lost traffic).

I find variations haven't been all that tough to come up with - and I wouldn't be too keen to brand a site that already exists under .com.

Just my two cents worth!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    My only concern is that you launch the ideal domain name under .us or .net - and later on, readers try to find it again using the .com. They would reach either a parked domain or someone else's site (lost traffic).

I find variations haven't been all that tough to come up with - and I wouldn't be too keen to brand a site that already exists under .com.

Just my two cents worth!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Unless you're going to run an extremely unique site where people will go to the trouble of hunting you down, I'd stick with .com if possible.

ProBlogger comes to mind..... even though I read his site a LOT, if I type in that address by hand, I still catch myself typing .com at the end. (He now owns the .com which forwards it to the .net BTW)

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    As I see it .net and .org are used when the .com is taken. So, it looks like they are going after a successful .com. You might inquire with Citzenhawk as they do battle with typo squatters.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread